30D silnylon with panel pulls or 20D silpoly without panel pulls?

I'm looking to buy a Thunderfly from Warbonnet and decided I would ideally like 20D silpoly with panel pulls. Unfortunately though it looks like the only options currently in stock are the 30D silnylon with panel pulls and the 20D silpoly without panel pulls. Any tips on how to choose between the two?

Hammock
    DH FreeBird 1.2 MTN
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, Phnx
    Suspension
    WB Dynaweave
    wait for what you want or pick a different vendor that has it now if you can't

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    You didn’t say why you want the 20D over the 30D. I’ll guess it is weight. If so, determine the weight difference between the two. I’m guessing it is X number of ounces - less than a pound. I can’t think of any hike, including the Oregon PCT, I’ve done that I could have done carrying an extra pound. But most my treks are 10-15 mi per day (or less) and in no particular hurry. My point is, weight is weight but will that difference in ounces be the factor that decides success of failure, or enjoyment vs hardship?

Plus, few things are chiseled in stone. You could get the 30D, that is everything you want except a little heavier, and try it out. If the weight really bothers you, you can sell it in the ForSale area, take a loss that you can consider the cost of education, and see about the 20D. Maybe after your experience with the 30D, you may decide you want fuller doors, or a different color, or a very light (but not DCF) “membrane” tarp from TrailHeadz, etc.

Or, you may be able to get a 20D now, as a custom build (for more money).

My point is, things change. What I wanted last year is not want I want this year. Someone told me, “Just do! You’ll find out soon enough if the action as correct or not. If correct, continue. If not correct, change it. Knowing that sometimes I’m going to get it right and sometimes I’m going to get it wrong helped me to relax about the whole thing. Sort of like posting here. Seems you can’t “put yourself out there” without some errors. Someone once said, “If I didn’t have more to learn, I wouldn’t be here.”

I really like my Silnylon ThunderFly - I didn’t even bother to see if it was 20D or 30D because I can handle a few ounces. Admittedly, I do wonder about my decision to go with SilNylon vs Silpoly. But I’ve very seldom been in a heavy rain situation. The tarp does more than just keep water off. So the watersheding issue is understood, but not that much of a factor in my case (Maybe different if I I’ved in Seattle).
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I say get the 30D with pulls as it seems you want pulls since you are asking.
    The weight is difference is minimal. Pullouts are nice on that tarp.
    Ridgeline Length: 11’0”
    30D 2000mm NeverMist™ Silnylon: 14.9oz
    20D 2000mm NeverMist™ Silpoly: 13.4oz
    Ridgeline Length: 11.0′
    Width:103″

Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I thought I'd use the panel pulls a lot more. I use my trekking poles more for porch mode than over the top for the panel pulls. If it's super windy, yeah the panel pulls help with stopping the tarp from blowing into the hammock. I have the stock 20D silpoly Thunderfly when they still had the panel pulls. Not sure why that's a custom option now.

FLTurtle- I think it's just out of stock/backordered. It looks like it's been a busy summer for WB as lots of things are.

Appreciate all the responses! I was preferring the 20D silpoly over the 30D silnylon not because of weight but because I'd read silpoly handles rain better.

Either way, I decided to go with the superfly as it's my first tarp and I want the flexibility of having full coverage if I need it. I only get a chance to go out a couple times a year nowadays (small child at home), and I recently got a new job so this was my sort of "splurge" celebration- to finally get the hammock set up I've been eyeing for years now. I have a chance to go out when I take a break between jobs in a couple weeks, which explains the urgency of getting the gear sooner rather than later. Either way, happy with my choice of the superfly as I do like winter camping as well. Thanks for the help!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Been happy with my choices...the only reason I went silpoly was supposedly it can resist wetting out over silnylon. Silnylon is more durable, but I (try to) baby my gear. I picked up the Superfly in silpoly when WB had another sale earlier this year. It's a lot of tarp, but I do like the extra coverage. Still, the Thunderfly is my go to...plenty of coverage, packs down fairly small.

• + New Posts