My own design.
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Home made quit set
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopie

Underquilt suspension question

I struggled to keep my full length Hotfoot underquilt in place with the traditional shock to sbiner connected to each end approach. I saw a Dutchware Chameleon with pack hooks at roughly 24 and 48" from the gathered end. I tried it on my DIY hammock and it made a huge improvement in keeping the quilt in place. So now for my dumb question. Why not simply connect an underquilt to these points and skip the traditional suspension? Is there a downside I'm not seeing or a challenge to overcome? I am planning on making a 20 degree down underquilt and will probably design it with the traditional suspension in mind, but would love to go with something simpler and lighter. Your thoughts are very much appreciated.

Jim

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The quilt suspension allows for a few adjustments - it lets you slide the end of the quilt so it's even with your head/shoulders as desired. Or it might allow a bit of a diagonal fit by sliding one end down and the other up. I don’t see how hooks on the hammock would work because the edges of my UQ are mostly above the edge of the hammock. HG has two suspension lines with the second providing more lift. That is also accomplished with extra items like triangle nylon at the end of the hammock suspension that pulls up on the UQ.

I’ve found a small S-biner clipped to the hammock ridge line and also gathering the two main suspension lines gives lots of lift - in fact, the biner might need to be on a short tether so it doesn’t lift too much.

The main problem with just using the hooks is it seems to depend a lot on the geometry/size of the UQ. I can imagine a UQ custom cut/sized to work with one specific hammock. But if those hooks are not placed just right, you will have gaps. And UQ’s come in all different sizes/lengths.

But the … bottom line … is, if it works for you, Great!
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 10-24-2020 at 15:17.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts