SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...

Vertically Challenged-Suspension issue

I just traded up to an 11 foot Trail Lair from my little tiny ENO. I like the space and comfort, but am having issues hanging it.

I'm only 5'4", and it seems like with trees 13-14' feet apart, I have to get the straps higher than I can reach in order to be off the ground. Am I doing something wrong, or do I just need a shorter hammock?

Maybe I need an UL foot stool?

Thanks-
    Charlotte

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Charlotte - according to the hammock hang calculator (http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/) a 14 ft span for an 11 ft hammock (ridgeline about 86% of length) at 16 inches above the ground, would attach at about 5’4” on the tree. As the top of your head is that height, I’m guessing you would have no problem reaching it.

If the trees were 13 ft apart, the connection could be a bit lower. I like my hammock about chair height, 18 inches, so I can just swing my legs over and stand up. You are a little shorter so I put in 16 inches above ground for you.

Note that there have been many posts suggesting ways to push your suspension beyond your reach. I’d be more worried about getting it down then pushing it up.

But again, according to usual practices (chair height above ground, about 30 degree hang angle, ridge line around 83% - 86% of hammock length) the suggested connection height seems within your reach. What am I missing?
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Maybe my trees were farther apart and my pacing is off. I’ll just look for closer trees?

Thanks for doing the math.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Also remember that the 'ideal' 30° suspension angle is with the hammock loaded, so if you're doing the initial hang at 30° then it will likely be significantly steeper after you sit in it and the hammock material, SRL and suspension bits settle under the weight. So experiment by pitching it initially at 20° or even 15° and see where it ends up after loading.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    A tip regarding finding the right tree spacing: take your trekking poles by the handles, and extend them out laterally from your sides, like wings. Measure tip to tip. I’m right at 13 feet tip to tip with arms extended. When I roll into my camp site I just extend my arms/ poles and can get a quick estimate of distance between trees.

I’m relatively new and can assure you it comes together after about 5 set ups. I like mine a little higher than what many consider chair height. As a tall guy I don’t like getting out of the hammock with my hips too low to the ground. The quickest way to get accustomed to rigging is to take your kit to a park and just spend time setting it up and taking it down. You’ll also figure out ways to move the suspension higher or lower by standing on rocks or nudging it with your pole tips.

I have been re-learning my setup lately it seems. With my suspension setup, I’ve found that the only way to achieve the right height is to hang my straps much higher than the 6ft recommended. I’d say I’m pushing 7ft (and probably a little more on the foot end). I’m pretty tall so it isn’t an issue, but if you can’t reach, you can definitely sneak the straps up the tree with your trekking poles if you carry them!

Hammock
    ENO currently
    Tarp
    ENO or Lazzo
    Insulation
    UGQ Underquilt
    Suspension
    Daisy chain straps
    I sneak the straps up the tree bit by bit with a stick when I don't have my Tall Person with me. I'm 5'7" and I may have stood there staring at the straps the first time I was out without a tall person and knowing I needed to get them up higher. Stick to the rescue.

• + New Posts