Whoopies directly on hammock... am I in the minority?

How are you guys all doing your whoopies? I have the fixed end of mine attached direct to hammock, then the adjustable end goes through a soft shackle that I attach the becket hitch to. I wonder what everyone else does, and why it might be better to modify. Thanks!

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I used to do that but, I saw a video posted somewhere on this site demonstrating how water flows directly down the whoopie sling. While I never had an issue myself, it caused enough anxiety that switched to continous loops on the hammock and used Dutch Biners to connect to the Whoopies. Eventually, I incorporated Dutch Whoopie Hooks into the Whoopie Slings inplace of the Biners.

Again, my hammock never got soaked but, on inclement weather nights, I would take extra measures to put water breaks between the outside and inside the tarp portions of the Whoopie Sling.
    Last edited by OCDave; 10-22-2020 at 12:53.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I use a Dutch biner on my whoopies along with a continuous loop on hammock. Then I can switch suspensions easily if wanted.
    Or keep yours as is and add a drip line for peace-of-mind.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies
    I prefer my whoopie sling attached to the hammock. I think it stays cleaner that way. If I were to keep it connected to the tree strap the suspension would be so long that I'd be dragging it on the ground all the time, and most of the places I hike and camp at are really muddy. The other thing is that my suspension system is made up of several components, as shown on the picture. It may look complicated at first glance, but it's extremely fast to set up, it's pretty lightweight, and most important of all, it allows me to make micro adjustments without having to tie and untie any knots. Here's a short clip that shows how it works: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR6b...el=RickMorales

Aside from the whoopie and the hardware, I've also installed a drip disc at the base of the whoopie bury which stops water from running down towards the hammock but also serves to hold the tail end of the whoopie in place so that it's not draping on the floor. I prefer the disc over a drip line because it's always in position and ready to do its job, I don't have to worry about making it tight and perfectly aligned. Then at the gathered end of the hammock I have also installed a dynaglide mini continuous loop, for those tight places where the hammock barely fits between the anchor points. As shown on the video, I can bypass the whoopie sling entirely and attach the dynaglide loop directly to the Dutch spider and toggle contraption.

I understand Autumn Ultralight is comming out with a new version of their breeze buckles. I might get a set of those and replace the Dutch spider and toggle to reduce the weight and amount of hardware.

Some might have noticed that the bury on the whoopie is very short. I've gotten away with that for as long as I've been using whoopie slings and so far have never had a problem with it. But of course, I'm not advocating for others to do the same. Nothing against commercially available whoopies, except that if I add the length of the bury plus the distance from the bury to the hammock's gathered end, it uses up about 2 feet on either end of the hammock. If I then add a carabiner or shackle plus a continuous loop, we're talking quite a long distance. In my opinion the biggest downside of whoopies is precisely all the room they require. So I make my buries pretty short and as close to the hammock as possible. In my experience, and I've been using DIY whoopies for about 9 years now, amsteel doesn't just snap on you. It starts fraying slowly, so by inspecting my rig often, I can replace components before they get too worn out. I think this current set should last for another year or so.

IMG_9707.jpg
    Backpacking trips in the tropical jungles of Latin America... Exploring our living planet from within...
    http://www.jungletreks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I use a Dutch biner on my whoopies along with a continuous loop on hammock. Then I can switch suspensions easily if wanted.
    Or keep yours as is and add a drip line for peace-of-mind.
    Shug

Thanks! I do want to try continuous loops on the hammock and have a biner or other water break connecting the sling. I would probably just keep the sling connected to the hammock at all times, so it’d basically be like my current setup with an added water break. But then I wonder about the adjustable end of the whoopie...since I’m doing becket hitches, I’d probably still want a second continual loop (or soft shackle) running through the loop so that adjustability isn’t hindered by the hitch. Am I overthinking? I just don’t wanna have to add much more length (or weight, though negligible with amsteel) to the suspension if I don’t have to.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaronbagby View Post
    Thanks! I do want to try continuous loops on the hammock and have a biner or other water break connecting the sling. I would probably just keep the sling connected to the hammock at all times, so it’d basically be like my current setup with an added water break. But then I wonder about the adjustable end of the whoopie...since I’m doing becket hitches, I’d probably still want a second continual loop (or soft shackle) running through the loop so that adjustability isn’t hindered by the hitch. Am I overthinking? I just don’t wanna have to add much more length (or weight, though negligible with amsteel) to the suspension if I don’t have to.
    Many options out there. My method is tree strap/toggle/ whoopie.
    Always worked for me. In short hangs I have used continuous loop on foot end of hammock to the toggle by-passing whoopie.

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaronbagby View Post
    Thanks! I do want to try continuous loops on the hammock and have a biner or other water break connecting the sling. I would probably just keep the sling connected to the hammock at all times, so it’d basically be like my current setup with an added water break. But then I wonder about the adjustable end of the whoopie...since I’m doing becket hitches, I’d probably still want a second continual loop (or soft shackle) running through the loop so that adjustability isn’t hindered by the hitch. Am I overthinking?
    If you're going to go that far, why not just skip the whoopie altogether and tie strap directly into continuous loops? This is how i do it now.

If you're already tying knots, you just don't need a whoopie sling anymore.

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    I also have my whoopies permanently installed in my hammock.

Two extra things I do:

1. The fixed end of the whoopie goes through the hammock channel a few additional times to use up some of the excess length.

2. I have a short drip line permanently installed.

Never had a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    If you're going to go that far, why not just skip the whoopie altogether and tie strap directly into continuous loops? This is how i do it now.

If you're already tying knots, you just don't need a whoopie sling anymore.
    I thought about that as well. But it is definitely nice having the whoopies when I hang everything up and then realize I could use a slight adjustment. If I didn’t have them, I would be doing more “resets” of the becket hitch. Not the biggest deal, maybe I’ll try.

Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    I also have my whoopies permanently installed in my hammock.

Two extra things I do:

1. The fixed end of the whoopie goes through the hammock channel a few additional times to use up some of the excess length.

2. I have a short drip line permanently installed.

Never had a problem.
    Those are both good ideas. I never once used a drip line, and I’ve had some brutal rain come through without getting soaked, but it certainly isn’t the “right” way.

• + New Posts