Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Cotton definitely kills. You don't even notice how much moisture collects in cotton. I've never even tried camping in cotton - polyester or wool for me. Vapor barriers are a bit too esoteric for me - BillyBob58 is a big proponent, but one of very few proponents of vapor barriers on HF.

Personally, I find sleeping in the buff to be very helpful. I sweat a LOT while sleeping, but when I'm naked, that perspiration feels like it's non-existent. Down is incredibly efficient at wicking the moisture away from you. Fifteen minutes after I get into my hammock, my feet are completely dry. If you're wearing a bunch of layers of non-efficient clothing, you're just keeping the down from doing what is a much more efficient job of wicking perspiration away.
    "too esoteric"! Ha, I love it! They are too esoteric for most, I agree. And "one of very few proponents of vapor barriers on HF.", I think you are right!

And maybe they should try sleeping in the buff, maybe that will work for them! But if cold at 45F in a 0F TQ, time to try something else. Possibly even sleeping in the buff, or maybe the opposite extreme of breathable, VBs. But something is not working very well right now.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    And maybe they should try sleeping in the buff, maybe that will work for them! But if cold at 45F in a 0F TQ, time to try something else. Possibly even sleeping in the buff, or maybe the opposite extreme of breathable, VBs. But something is not working very well right now.
    I think a lot of it is psychological. You tell yourself you're a cold sleeper enough, and you start to believe it. There is no way someone should be cold at 45* F in 0* quilts (unless you're wearing cotton you wore all day).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I think a lot of it is psychological. You tell yourself you're a cold sleeper enough, and you start to believe it. There is no way someone should be cold at 45* F in 0* quilts (unless you're wearing cotton you wore all day).
    Yeah, this is really bizarre.

Somebody with good overall experience needs to evaluate the setup from stem to stern, hammock and clothing.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

AT,

Any updates?

I also learned the hard way that when creating warmth in a Down Quilt system, less is usually better. If you have too many layers on, your body heat becomes trapped and then cant heat up the air space in your Quilts. When I used 3, dry, clean, light capilene base layers, my body heat was not escaping into the quilts. When I removed a layer, ( slept in 2 not 3 layers, ) I was warm for the rest of the nite. I learned that trick here on HF, I think from Cougarmeat and Silvrsurfer, actually.

I also learned from HF, that eating a chunk of a chocolate bar and/or a chocolate chip cookie, prior to hitting the hammock, helps your body to produce heat. Evidently this is an old military cold weather trick. When I get up to pee in the middle of the night, I eat another chunk of chocolate. This has also worked great for me.

Let us know how it worked out for you.

I would also advise not ordering any other Quilt gear until after you get this figured out. I would be willing to bet its not the fault of the great gear you purchased.

Lastly, if you cant get it figured out, watch Shugs "Stacking Quilts" video. Not only is it full of great ideas, but..........you may be able to purchase a less expensive quilt system and stack it......saving some money. I use this system for winter camping. I have a HG 10 degree and a HG 30 degree quilt set. Super versatile system for almost all winter camping.

Be safe.

Bob

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    My LL quilt keeps me comfortable quite a little bit lower than its rating...but I always wear a warm athletic base layer to bed (like a long sleeved insulating Under Armor top and yoga pants) and I also often wear my beat up, nearly worn out, ancient, comfy old down vest. Also, I’ve learned the hard way to always change into fresh wool socks after climbing into my hammock because even though my socks that I’ve worn in my shoes FEEL bone dry to me, they end up freezing my feet. Changing into unworn socks makes night and days difference.

Bob (in the post above) makes a great point about stacking quilts! I prefer my 50 degree LL TQ stacked with one of my 40 degree TQs rather than using my single 0 degree TQ for temps 30 and above. I don’t camp much when it’s below 30. Since I never snap my TQ around my neck, it is convenient for me to snap my two layered TQ’s to each other—snap the corner of one to the corner of the other on each side—then put the footbox of the bottom one into the footbox of the top one. I always put my 50 degree TQ against me and the 40 degree TQ over it.

I always tuck my TQ under me in front and back. I’m a side sleeper. If I start feeling cool somewhere, it’s always a quick fix—just tuck! Or, if I’m getting a cold spot UNDER me then reaching over the side of my hammock and giving my UQ a tug fixes it. I almost never have to readjust my UQ these days, no matter which brand I’m using or even if I’m stacking them. Once you get used to what works well, you set it up right the first time and there’s not really any fidget factor with the underquilt(s) through the night. And re-tucking my TQ(s) as I roll from one side to the other has become so second nature that I think I do it in my sleep!
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 10-26-2020 at 23:37.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    "If you want a blanket take a fleece fitted sheet and turn it into a liner for the quilt, the fleece feeling will not feel as cold when you climb into the hammock.... so there is less shock to the body, but it is also thin enough to let heat into the quilt."
    Here are 2 vids I did on bag/TQ liners. Starting at the 4:50 mark in the top vid, I show a TQ liner that I made for my daughter using a fleece blanket. It was super easy to make using some Velcro, snaps and a little hand sewing. The second goes over the different sleeping bag liners I have, 3 of which I turned into TQ liners.

" The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    "If you want a blanket take a fleece fitted sheet and turn it into a liner for the quilt, the fleece feeling will not feel as cold when you climb into the hammock.... so there is less shock to the body, but it is also thin enough to let heat into the quilt."
    Here are 2 vids I did on bag/TQ liners. Starting at the 4:50 mark in the top vid, I show a TQ liner that I made for my daughter using a fleece blanket. It was super easy to make using some Velcro, snaps and a little hand sewing. The second goes over the different sleeping bag liners I have, 3 of which I turned into TQ liners.

So, if supposedly a fleece liner could add some warmth but not be thick enough to keep heat from getting into the quilt, why wouldn't wearing fleece clothing accomplish exactly the same thing? If a liner or clothing were thick enough to keep heat from getting into the quilt, wouldn't that mean that body heat was being held next to or inside the body, rather than escaping from the body resulting in loss of body heat? Just as a quilt slows down the rate at which body heat escapes to outside air? Wouldn't any loss of body heat, from our core, which leads to being cold, make it past our dry clothing and into the quilt and even finally past the quilt out to the air? But no longer be inside us keeping us warm? Why wouldn't an added layer-as in "layering"- whether an extra quilt or clothing- reduce the heat that is escaping from our bodies into(and maybe out of) our quilts, and reduce the lowering our core temp? Don't we want to keep as much body heat as possible inside of us, or at least right next to our skin?

I know the opposite is popular with quite a few, but I have never had layering fail me. If not warm enough in a quilt set, I have never failed to improve at least a bit by adding a layer, whether in the form of putting on some clothing, or just adding some layer above me or below me. For example, in my old Pea Pod, I routinely layered clothing above me(rather than wearing it in the normal fashion, I would actually put the parka or vest on backwards, so that the front zippered opening was actually facing towards the bottom rather than normal). Or, when going below the rated temps, simply adding a layer of clothing under my hammock inside of the pod. Which would put a thick layer between my back and the UQ part of the pod. This would of course decrease the amount of body heat that could make it to the pod and warm it up, but regardless always significantly increased MY warmth. Plus, I routinely use various TQs well below their rated temps by wearing warm clothing.

But hey, whatever works, try it all. Obviously the "remove even dry clothing" thing works for some people, maybe most. I might be the odd ball here, but classic concepts of layering have always worked for me, whether when up and about, or sleeping. Although, I can see the potential of over layering, over heating and sweating. Which you might not even realize was happening if your insulation was efficient enough at wicking it away from your body and into your insulation, where it would invariably end up reducing warmth, sooner or later.

Maybe I have had such success with layering because I don't layer way up if I know the temps are going to be above where I know the quilt alone is going to keep me warm, or the temps are going to be above the quilts rating? Or maybe because I have a tendency to not add the layers unless I know the temps are going to be below the quilts rating, or if I start to feel a tad cool? But never have I been cold, and then added some warm, dry clothing, and then been even colder. Even though probably, my added clothing or layers would reduce the ability of my body heat to warm up my quilt for me. My quilt is probably colder, but I am warmer.

When I set my personal best, though only +6F, I was using a Golight TQ rated at 20F, though most users thought that rating was quite optimistic, and felt it was at best a 25-30F TQ. In fact, later they changed the rating of that identical bag to 40F. In long, wide it only weighs about 20 oz. But I was toasty all night at 6F. Needless to say, various added layers were involved. One of which was VB clothing. But all of which presumably would have decreased the warming up of my TQ by my escaped body heat, and same for the HHSS that was under me. But again: whatever works, try it all! People vary. AKA YMMV. Find out what works for you!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-27-2020 at 22:41.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    I'm pretty sure you've figured out it was your clothing at issue. Just remember that everyone is different in how they react to the cold and ladies sleep colder than guys. I am a guy but I lost a lot of weight in the past and now I'm always cold. I mean freezing when everyone else is fine. So I use a 0 degree bag when it gets around freezing and I just recognize that I need much more insulation than regular folks.

I drink something hot before bed (even if it's just really warm water). A protein snack is good too. When it gets cold, I swear by the Nalgene hot water bottle because if I go to bed when I'm cold, nothing is really generating heat and the bottle fills that gap. (However, wait after filling the bottle and then re-tighten the lid to prevent leaks -- ask me how I know).

If you're still looking for base layers, I recommend Costco and Goodwill. Sure, I like my expensive brand name clothing but I have stuff I've bought for $5 that's just as good. And I'm out in the wilderness so who's going to know. I use a $5 pair of fleece PJ bottoms over my pants because I stupidly hike in the cold with my summer weight paper thin hiking pants.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    We are trying to give solutions/suggestions that don’t require new gear - not that there is any thing wrong with that. I’ve heard that some people have more than one hammock or quilt. If you ever get in a situation where you are considering an new Top Quilt, I was amazed that the difference going for the Hammock Gear WIDE option made. In normal size, I tuck the TQ around me. But just the few inches in width the “wide” option gives, has me floating in comfy down.

I think the original purpose behind “wide” - other than for really large folks - was if you were going to have to go to ground and use your TQ like a sleeping bag. It was much easier to keep covered along the sides.

Also - when I mentioned cotton pj’s the intent was to advocate for comfy, DRY, clothes - something you don’t wear during the day (but might wear a little longer lounging around at breakfast). Because in winter cold, if I’m not wearing silk or thin smart wool, I’m wearing some “waffle” (had a brand name duo-fold at one time) fabric camo design. In the morning, when someone in camp first sees me. I freeze (not cold - just hold still), then they say, “Good Morning” and I ask how they can see me because I’m wearing camo. I always think it’s funny; others, not so much.

So you can see that many agree with less sleeping garments so the heat you generate can migrate to spaces around you (in your TQ) and to have some source of fuel before bed. But I’m wondering if DrakeTake doesn’t drink extra water just so he can get another bite of chocolate

My body encourages me to get up by stopping heat production when I have to pee. It says, “You are going to be cold until you take care of this.” After I get back in the hammock, I’m soon toasty warm again. I don’t mind a few shivers at first because I figure that’s my body saying, “Ready, Set, Go.” on the heat production.

Let us know how it’s turning out. 0 degree rated quilts are serious stuff - especially when the temps are still in double digits. I’m sure a solution can be found.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 10-30-2020 at 14:06.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Cougarmeat you got me. Yes I like the excuse to eat chocalate, as I dont normally do so day to day.

Can you believe the weather here today????????

Should be hanging. Dang work anyways.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast