Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 12’
    Insulation
    JRB MW4 HSS 0*
    Suspension
    Web/DutchHks/Biner
    Because in winter cold, if I’m not wearing silk or thin smart wool, I’m wearing some “waffle” (had a brand name duo-fold at one time) fabric camo design. In the morning, when someone in camp first sees me. I freeze (not cold - just hold still), then they say, “Good Morning” and I ask how they can see me because I’m wearing camo. I always think it’s funny; others, not so much.

Cougarmeat,
    When I'm wearing camo, I ask my 6 and 8 year old grandsons the same question. They never think it's funny.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    79 degrees at the end of October! I still have an extra tab on my web browser for the Wallawa River Loop hike someone posted a while back in Trips. It’s a six hour drive; one day to get there, one day back, 5 - 6 days on the trail. I like that ratio of adventure to “in the car”.

Maybe you can find a place to hang outsdoors at home.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    11' SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x12
    Insulation
    LocoLibre DWR Down
    Suspension
    Cin-Bkle Dyn-Str
    Both my wife and I use a zero degree combo of LL quilts in the winter. I sleep cold and she sleeps hot. I sleep especially cold due to blood thinners. The coldest that we have had our quilts is around twenty seven degrees. I bring a fresh pair of socks and a set of thin long johns for sleeping at night along with a cheap beanie. Neither of us have ever been cold in our quilts. In fact it can be hard to extract my wife from hers once she has coffee and a good book in hand.

I have a buddy who was miserable in a Jack R Better quilt. I adjusted it for him before bed, he was warm, and then he got very cold at night. After two nights of trying to dial it in we discovered that he was moving at night and the adjustments had moved with him allowing cold air to slip in between the quilt and the hammock. Things improved dramatically after we tied knots in the adjustment cordage when we set them before bed. I would advise having someone similar to your size lay in it while you double check your dialed in "settings". Just because you set them doesn't mean that they stayed true.

You've gotten some wonderful advice here & I don't want to repeat what everyone's said, so I'll just add two of my favorite tricks.

If I'm entering a cold temperatures, I bring a Nalgene bottle, boil water an hour before bed, pour it in the Nalgene, & put it in the sleeping bag. No matter how warm your setup is, don't forget that insulation cannot 'create' heat, it will simply trap heat from escaping. Nothing like crawling into a pre warmed sleep setup. (Note this trick DOES NOT work with insulated bottles)

If temps are really getting low, or wind is expected to be high, I love my down balaclava. Katabatic makes a great one, Goosefeet makes a great one, & I'd imagine others as well.

Good luck!

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456