Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ATGIRL2028 View Post
    I have a zero degree underquilt as well. I'm pretty sure there aren't any problems with it b/c I have had drafts in there when I first got it, but I think I have it fine tuned it in. I'm just a cold sleeper and have always been, but looking at what I wear and never putting it together that i have probably been cold due to wet cotton clothes. I feel so tupid. I have heard about having clothes for sleeping only, that havent been worn all day but why i didn't apply it to myself i don't know! I will measure my bag tonight, but coming from a high quality company, I don 't think my problem is with the quilt, I think it's with me and all my clothes.
    I forgot to mention that I wore a hat to bed. I have felt that makes a BIG difference. Without it I was even colder!
    Sounds like you might have it figured out. Looking forward to hearing how you do after making adjustments. Especially important not to compress the down.

My daughter sleeps extremely cold, and a quilt that easily got me down to 20° didnt work for her at 40°, but I suspect thats not the problem here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ATGIRL2028 View Post
    Great advice, ty!
    I wore all the clothes and put the blankets on top and was probably doing exactly what u said, trapping in the moisture AND compressing the down.
    I won't have enough money for another tq until about summertime, so hopefully i will test out all of the advice I got here over this winter and the advice will work and save me 750 dollars!!! I guess if everyones advice saves me money I should divy it out amongst everyone...lol!
    Not sure if you are replying to me or some one else- several of us had similar tips- but either way, hang in there, you will get it! But, if a zero TQ is not keeping you warm at 40F, I would think spending more big bucks on an even warmer TQ is not advisable. Because there is an un-diagnosed problem causing the 0F TQ to fail so miserably, and getting a more expensive quilt will not solve that problem, seems to me. So save your money and figure out what the problem is would be my advise, FWIW!

However, I am starting to assume you are a cold sleeper. Are you a girl? In my experience my wife and daughter and other gals I have known just need a whole lot more insulation than I do at the same temps. But, as said previously, even if a cold sleeper, if there is not some problem that is fixable keeping you from warmth, surely a 0ºF TQ would be adequate even for a cold sleeper at +40F? Some of us here would be in danger of spontaneous combustion trying to use that quilt in those temps!

Even though I think your best bet is to try and figure out what is being done wrong and fix it, I am going to bring one more thing to your attention. I hesitate to do so, because it is a controversial subject, some think it is an awful idea, and it also requires a smidgen of technical understanding so that you don't do it wrong and make things worse. It is not for everyone. On the other hand, if a person simply cannot be warm, it can be a lifesaver. I am referring to vapor barrier clothing. The link I am providing is primarily about using a VB liner, rather than clothing. I prefer clothing over a liner, but both work in the same manner. And I like this link from way back in 2010, because Dejoha has such great illustrations. But there are about a dozen other newer threads on this hotly debated subject here at HF, which are easily found by searching in case you are interested. Also, go to page 2 and post #55 for a testimony of how adding a vapor barrier as a last ditch effort saved Dejoha, who's quilts were adequately rated for the temperatures he encountered, from a cold and miserable night. Before he added the vapor barrier, he was shivering, and he went from shivering to warm and comfortable all night. I just think it is an alternative approach that all cold weather campers ought to know about. Probably the easiest and cheapest way to experiment with VBs is to get a large leaf bag, something large enough to go up to your chin level, and - wearing just a thin layer of synthetic or wool longjohns- get inside that bag which is inside/under your top quilt and ALL other insulation. Another way is to just wear rain gear underneath as much insulation and as close to the skin as possible. Amazingly to me, some people even have good luck wearing breathable rain gear such as Gore-Tex. Apparently it still slows down vapor transfer enough to be helpful, even if not a true VB. I have done so wearing breathable rain pants since I do not have any actual VB pants, only shirt and socks were true VB. In addition to adding easily over 20° of warmth, this approach has the other huge benefit of keeping all of your body vapor out of your insulation, where it tends to condense back into liquid, lowering the loft. If nothing else, this is something good to know as a last ditch effort. Good luck!
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...r-Liners-(VBL)
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-22-2020 at 12:22.

Images
    Hey ATGirl, I want to ask/say again: what are you using for head insulation? IMHO, I need at least as much insulation for my head as I do for my torso. If I don't have a good thick hood, no way is my 20F rated TQ going to be as arm for me as is my 20F mummy bag with it's hood and neck collar.

In addition to the tips above, never ever go to bed cold. The insulation will help you keep warm but it will not make you warm if you are already cold. You need to warm up from the inside out before bed. With Scouts on winter camping trips, we always had them drink hot cider and eat high carb, fatty foods before bed - think crackers, cheese and summer sausage. And, we always did a short 10-15 minute slowww snowshoe hike (to not sweat) to get to and from the snack location. So by the time they crawled in their bags, they were warm, hydrated and fueled up to get through the night.

As a woman, I get cold easily too. But I only sleep in dry, midweight synthetic or merino base layers (check Goodwill) and for me, that is enough - along with a down hood or warm hat, depending on the temps. Another thing I do which helps me a lot in cool to cold temps is I drape a Costco Down Throw over my ridgeline, with a gap at the bottom and above/beyond my head to prevent too much condensation (however, I live in a very dry climate). This creates a warm cocoon above me so I am breathing warmer air. In a pinch, I can pull it off the ridgeline if I need additional warmth in my UQ or my TQ. On the rare occasion that a warm front has moved in overnight, I have switched to just the CDT as a TQ.

Best of luck figuring out what works best for you!

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Hey ATGirl, I want to ask/say again: what are you using for head insulation? IMHO, I need at least as much insulation for my head as I do for my torso. If I don't have a good thick hood, no way is my 20F rated TQ going to be as arm for me as is my 20F mummy bag with it's hood and neck collar.
    I wear a beanie. I quickly discovered what a huge benifit a hat and even gloves were for me.
    Psalm 118:24 This is the day the Lord has made! I will rejoice and be glad!

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Not sure if you are replying to me or some one else- several of us had similar tips- but either way, hang in there, you will get it! But, if a zero TQ is not keeping you warm at 40F, I would think spending more big bucks on an even warmer TQ is not advisable. Because there is an un-diagnosed problem causing the 0F TQ to fail so miserably, and getting a more expensive quilt will not solve that problem, seems to me. So save your money and figure out what the problem is would be my advise, FWIW!

However, I am starting to assume you are a cold sleeper. Are you a girl? In my experience my wife and daughter and other gals I have known just need a whole lot more insulation than I do at the same temps. But, as said previously, even if a cold sleeper, if there is not some problem that is fixable keeping you from warmth, surely a 0ºF TQ would be adequate even for a cold sleeper at +40F? Some of us here would be in danger of spontaneous combustion trying to use that quilt in those temps!

Even though I think your best bet is to try and figure out what is being done wrong and fix it, I am going to bring one more thing to your attention. I hesitate to do so, because it is a controversial subject, some think it is an awful idea, and it also requires a smidgen of technical understanding so that you don't do it wrong and make things worse. It is not for everyone. On the other hand, if a person simply cannot be warm, it can be a lifesaver. I am referring to vapor barrier clothing. The link I am providing is primarily about using a VB liner, rather than clothing. I prefer clothing over a liner, but both work in the same manner. And I like this link from way back in 2010, because Dejoha has such great illustrations. But there are about a dozen other newer threads on this hotly debated subject here at HF, which are easily found by searching in case you are interested. Also, go to page 2 and post #55 for a testimony of how adding a vapor barrier as a last ditch effort saved Dejoha, who's quilts were adequately rated for the temperatures he encountered, from a cold and miserable night. Before he added the vapor barrier, he was shivering, and he went from shivering to warm and comfortable all night. I just think it is an alternative approach that all cold weather campers ought to know about. Probably the easiest and cheapest way to experiment with VBs is to get a large leaf bag, something large enough to go up to your chin level, and - wearing just a thin layer of synthetic or wool longjohns- get inside that bag which is inside/under your top quilt and ALL other insulation. Another way is to just wear rain gear underneath as much insulation and as close to the skin as possible. Amazingly to me, some people even have good luck wearing breathable rain gear such as Gore-Tex. Apparently it still slows down vapor transfer enough to be helpful, even if not a true VB. I have done so wearing breathable rain pants since I do not have any actual VB pants, only shirt and socks were true VB. In addition to adding easily over 20° of warmth, this approach has the other huge benefit of keeping all of your body vapor out of your insulation, where it tends to condense back into liquid, lowering the loft. If nothing else, this is something good to know as a last ditch effort. Good luck!
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...r-Liners-(VBL)
    I have read somewhere else where you have mentioned the vapor barrior. I'm not against trying anything. I want to be in my hammock more than out of it, lol. I just need to figure these things out first. I'm going to start at dry night clothes and no cotton! I'm going to fluff up my tq and I'm going to leave the blankets at home. I'm going to drink warm green tea before bed and maybe do a few jumping jacks or toe touches before I climb into bed. I'm crossing my fingers this will work. If not, Ill be back asking about vapor barriors and how to start down that road. I am a girl 5'5 123 pounds, so not much meat on my bones. I naturally sleep cold, but adding cotton and wet under clothes can't help! I'll keep you posted! Ty for all of your help! You're a grreat source of info here in hf!
    Psalm 118:24 This is the day the Lord has made! I will rejoice and be glad!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 12’
    Insulation
    JRB MW4 HSS 0*
    Suspension
    Web/DutchHks/Biner
    There’s tons of great poly-pro-fleece-type products out there to layer with that are reasonably priced and reasonably light weight.
    For a specific idea, (1) check out the Northface Glacier mid-weight zip T which comes in about 7 oz, and (2) the old standby: a Patagonia snap T which is a fine 3rd layer if you size it a little large. A down vest or jacket is also great warmth to weight, and the market has exploded with a large variety of them in recent years making them more affordable than they used to be. I agree with the other folks, it is important to insulate your head.
    Like the other folks, I’m not suggesting you sleep in all that under normal conditions. The warm layered fleece/down helps to warm you before you crawl in better than cotton.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I am pretty jealous of that fleece face mask you have in the video Shug. I often bring my balaclava for my head/neck but found that if it is pulled up over my mouth/nose it grabs too much condensation when the temps get down there. Looked around for one with the same openings you have and never had any luck.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroa View Post
    I am pretty jealous of that fleece face mask you have in the video Shug. I often bring my balaclava for my head/neck but found that if it is pulled up over my mouth/nose it grabs too much condensation when the temps get down there. Looked around for one with the same openings you have and never had any luck.
    I treasure it. So much more comfortable than the neoprene ones.
    Been trying to make a duplicate. Getting close. It is year of the mask!
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    I agree with Billy Bob 58- a down hood makes all the difference for me (older female here). You can buy a really nice one from a cottage maker or a cheap one from China, or make one from a secondhand jacket hood as I did. I added a collar to seal the gap between quilt and hood.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast