Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I mostly kayak camp so I, as a minimum, carry a plastic ground sheet and a ¾ length Therm-a-rest pad as Plan-B. I’d probably do the same thing - maybe replace the Therm-a-rest with a lighter CCF blue pad - if hiking. If hiking several days, I’d use my hiking poles. When kayaking or on short hikes, I usually carry REI collapsible poles to use in porch mode or to tarp an eating area. In the photo below, I’m using poles from an older MSR tarp.

I lay the plastic on the ground, then the pad, then the hammock with built-in net. I use the poles to support a tarp and I tie the bugnet of the hammock to those poles so it is off my face.

The photo below was just an exercise at a beach on Blackberry Point. I told my adventure partner that my hammock could be used as a tent better than his tent could be used as a hammock.

Hammockastent1.jpg
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 10-21-2020 at 13:22.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    For the win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    I love a good joke. But again, I think maybe people are misunderstanding that I’m not asking about being stuck out there and doing things in a pinch or for “survival”. I’m specifically hoping to see any clever ways people use their hammock flies in tandem with other gear for trips where they go in with no intent to hang between trees, or at least see a high probability of going to the ground. But I do recognize that most people here are just going to be doing it the “shug” way with a hammock.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaronbagby View Post
    I love a good joke. But again, I think maybe people are misunderstanding that I’m not asking about being stuck out there and doing things in a pinch or for “survival”. I’m specifically hoping to see any clever ways people use their hammock flies in tandem with other gear for trips where they go in with no intent to hang between trees, or at least see a high probability of going to the ground. But I do recognize that most people here are just going to be doing it the “shug” way with a hammock.
    I don't have any pictures of a GTG hammock setup, but I've given it a lot of thought especially when I think about situations, like hilltop stealth hangs, where trees might scarce. I'd normally just do a setup like Shug's picture, but if I expected to be in an area without trees for a while, I might opt for a solo tent, just for its improved weatherproofness in high winds and driving rain. The right tool for the job might actually sometimes be a tent or a proper tarp. There's a whole host of bushcrafty tarp origami options, but they require more loops than I have on my diy silnylon tarp, and to make matters worse, my tarp doesn't have doors.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    On a hike to Middle Sister (mountain near Bend OR) one fellow just carried a tarp, ground sheet, and sleeping bag - maybe some non-cook food in a bag. Pretty simple.

There is not much to show/tell. If you are not going to use an actual tent, you just put something on the gound, if not your pad directly, then the pad, then a sleeping bag or top quilt (tucked in), then a tarp - suspended on hiking poles or strung between trees (that wouldn’t hold a hammock).

I’ve seen videos of different shelter configurations with tarps, but most of those were with rectangular (heavy) tarps and used a variety of folds to make the boxy shapes - sometimes using part of the tarp as a ground sheet.

I value my tarp more that than. I’m not going to expose it to anything more than what might come out of the sky. Either it’s strung up between two trees or strung up between two poles. As such, the only shape difference is height above ground.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 10-21-2020 at 15:31.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles

Tensa4 or tensa solo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaronbagby View Post
    It really isn't much more complicated than using the hammock tarp as a ground tarp.

Here's a pic of a dedicated ground tarp (HMG Echo) being used with a prototype of the bivy my friend made for me, very much as I described earlier using bivy, air mat and polycryo ground sheet:

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    GTG-Recalc (Large).jpg

HG Dyneema Standard with Polycro ground cloth.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Man that would be tough for me. I think homeless people around here have better accommodations. A wet drizzly wind blows thru, forget it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast