Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    On a hike to Middle Sister (mountain near Bend OR) one fellow just carried a tarp, ground sheet, and sleeping bag - maybe some non-cook food in a bag. Pretty simple.
    That's how i went around Mt. St. Helens. It worked out really well. Exploded volcanoes are just not good hammock country.

@Aaronbagby: You can try a hybrid pad/quilt combo if you want to hang but there is a high chance of not being able to. That's my plan this upcoming year. Here's how it works:

My kit would include:
    - Double layer hammock (WBRR)
    - Inflatable pad (the light, non-insulated, non-self-inflating kind).
    - Costco Quilt underquilt (specifically, half of my Gemini quilt set i already have)
    - Ground sheet (plastic or tyvek)

The plan is to hang the hammock with the quilt AND the pad. The costco blanket isnt really very warm by itself, but the pad+quilt together would be warm enough.

On the ground, you get the direct benefit of the pad, and the quilt rolls up into a stuff sack to serve as a down pillow. If weather and bugs are fair, you can just plop right onto the ground and ignore the tarp and hammock. If rain is a possibility, put the tarp up with trekking poles. If bugs are an issue, hang the hammock up on the tarp corners to create a bug shelter.

Cowboy camping around St. Helens:
    IMG_0369_s.jpg

You have to earn this view! (Plains of Abraham. We camped on the flat spot at the bottom you see here).
    IMG_0767_s.jpg
    Last edited by leiavoia; 10-22-2020 at 17:44.

Hammock
    REI Quarter Dome Air
    Tarp
    In the market...
    Insulation
    Air Pad + Mummy
    Suspension
    Becket to straps
    This is the quite small hex tarp that came with my REI Quarter Dome Air, used both with and without the hammock, which I would only use if I needed the bug net.

I was practicing to prepare for a backpack trip, but haven’t had to use it in the wild. It seemed pretty effective though, and would be more so with a larger tarp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD, Townsend bridge
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB,UGQ,Nunatak
    Suspension
    Beckets
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaronbagby View Post
    I love a good joke. But again, I think maybe people are misunderstanding that I’m not asking about being stuck out there and doing things in a pinch or for “survival”. I’m specifically hoping to see any clever ways people use their hammock flies in tandem with other gear for trips where they go in with no intent to hang between trees, or at least see a high probability of going to the ground. But I do recognize that most people here are just going to be doing it the “shug” way with a hammock.
    Just Bill taught me to think this way on trips with iffy tree situations: “how can I use a hammock with my ground setup”?

A lightweight net less hammock is ~8-10oz plus ~3oz for straps. If you are only going to use the hammock on nice nights, you are done. You already have a top quilt and can throw your sleeping pad in for your back side. A 1oz headnet keeps the skeeters off your face. The pad isn’t awesome in a GE but is certainly doable and is much better in a bridge.

If you are tarp camping you could obviously use your ground tarp above the hammock, as long as it is long enough, for nights with a chance of rain.

For even more luxury a Warbonnet Yeti comes in under ~10oz for a 20F and could be used to supplement warmth in your ground setup is needed on top of you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the help here, guys. I think I’m gonna pick up a separate tarp (flat) and build a modular bivy type setup for trips where I don’t intend to hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I did a 12-day hike where I knew at least 2 or 3 of the nights would not have trees (in the Australian outback).
    I carried a Thermarest pad and Polycro just for that situation.
    I didn’t need my tarp as there was no rain around but was ready to use the “hiking pole” method if needed.

I also used my Underquilt between the pad and me as I’m sure it would have added a little comfort and I had it with me anyway.

Same hammock setup from my AT thru in the desert on the PCT

All I changed was adding a ground pad (ultralight anathema!), a ground sheet, and two carabiners on the ridge line tie outs.

The biners worked perfect for putting the tips of my poles in and then setting up as an A frame, which I’d only tried like 4 times before this photo.

To be fair, a week or two after this I swapped it all out for a trekking pole tent because I got so into cowboy camping the weight savings made it worth it. I got the hammock back in the Sierra and slept in it all the way to Canada

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    I used to use a sub 3 lb tent like something from REI if I knew I had no trees around. Now that I am over 50, I avoid going to ground at ALL costs. After being in a hammock I will NEVER go back to ground, unless it is a cozy B&B or an RV... my $.02. I have a real aversion to creepy crawlers and being flooded out. Site selection may also present problems for ground sleepers way more than elevated campers.

I use a polycryo plastic sheet underneath my 12x10 hammock tarp with an interior pole mod in the center. I have a Trail Lair hammock from SLD and had small plastic d rings seen to the bugnet so I could hang it up to a ridgeline and use it as a tarp. I tied both the ridge line and the tarp to my bicycle and then to any other point 7F5E0D4A-F3FB-465E-A16E-57B24CC3EC76.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123