Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Images
    Okie, thanks to another thread... I figured out the supplier of the water thingies...

http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Accessories.htm

Something he calls "DripStrips" which he states are "highly absorbent felt strips". Very bottom of the page... he has pictures.

I knew I'd seen them around somewhere... my bad for not remembering where.

John

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Good review. You know later , if you wanted, you could have someone custom make a tarp with a longer ridgeline. I think after you've been hanging for a while you'll probably feel the SF is plenty long tho. Look forward to some pics of your setup in the redwoods,,been a long time since i've been there.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl & Clark NA for winter
    Tarp
    Custom made for me
    Insulation
    Te-Wa UQ, SPE
    Suspension
    whoopie or cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Guy View Post

My only thoughts at this point is I wish there was something bigger out there. I know the Superfly is already a mammoth tarp for most of you. I guess this is just a by-product of the tent-era on my part... but, something a little longer (8-10 inches in length) to cover more of the tarp, and something another foot in height (for us really tall people) would be awesome! Until such a time... this Superfly is going to be the tarp for me!!
    Have you seen my Backwoods Daydreamer Winter Dream Tarp. custom....

HUGE! With choice of doors or tie them up for a HEX tarp type feel.

But remember Huge TARP...more weight. I'm not complaining...but my tarp W/O tie outs was about 22oz.

Ridgeline is still 10' but with the doors outreaching to 13'

Scott Littlefield is a great vendor. He can discribe all the details.

P.S. That awesome color was my idea.
    Got a nickname of Skittles now...thanks GARGOYLE....

Here's a video I put on another thread in the trip reports area

It's not the pace....it's the experience.

SKITTLES

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    are you taking the doors off the WB tarp each time? one question-why?

Banned
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    are you taking the doors off the WB tarp each time? one question-why?
    Nope, I've only set it up once and taken it down

Going to get me a HH SnakeSkin and go that route. Hopefully it will fit the SuperFly (Can anybody confirm this?)

btw, why do you ask? I've got no complaints with the doors, they are an awesome addition to the SF, I feel !!

Images
    those clips flex and the gate pops out, they should still handle all the force that the doors can put on them.

even if the gate pops out, you shouldn't have to "fix" it to remove the hook. it just swings the other direction now "outward". it's actually easier to remove that way because you don't have to open the gate with your fingertip, just pop it off the ring. push it sideways and it should pop back to the other side. it will be a PITA with gloves regardless because of their size, no way around that. play around with them some. i've found those to work the best of the pieces i've tried. there's not alot of options there in the tiny hook category to choose from

the ridgeline is 11'. i decided not to go with extra length in order to keep weight down. should work out to about 16" of coverage beyond each end of your blackbird (100" RL vs. 132" tarp ridge)

FWIW, every edge on the superfly is curve cut, they are just minimal in depth.

also, don't be afraid to pitch it tight, it can handle the tension and a tight tarp gives better performance.

Banned
    Images

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    those clips flex and the gate pops out, they should still handle all the force that the doors can put on them.

even if the gate pops out, you shouldn't have to "fix" it to remove the hook. it just swings the other direction now "outward". it's actually easier to remove that way because you don't have to open the gate with your fingertip, just pop it off the ring. push it sideways and it should pop back to the other side. it will be a PITA with gloves regardless because of their size, no way around that. play around with them some. i've found those to work the best of the pieces i've tried. there's not alot of options there in the tiny hook category to choose from

the ridgeline is 11'. i decided not to go with extra length in order to keep weight down. should work out to about 16" of coverage beyond each end of your blackbird (100" RL vs. 132" tarp ridge)

FWIW, every edge on the superfly is curve cut, they are just minimal in depth.

also, don't be afraid to pitch it tight, it can handle the tension and a tight tarp gives better performance.
    Yep on all your points!!

I put some serious tention on the little clips at one point, they held up very very well. Just pop'ed out of their inner chamber.

I can concur that when the tabs are pop'ed out... it is a hell of a lot easier to get the lines to come loose. Almost tempted to just leave them poped out in non-windy days!

I have yet to get my tarp and hammock lined up perfectly aligned with each other... so I have yet to experience that "16" of coverage beyond each end"

I honestly didn't notice the curve cut on the tarp. I will have to go look closer at it now

As for pitching it tight.... oh yeah!! On day 3, a few hours before the rare hail store hit, I went outside and pitched it about as tight as I felt safe. I even sinched down the pull outs. No doubt about it, you've made one hell of a tarp here mate!!

Thanks for responding! I hope you have not seen anything I have said as negative! None was intended on my part. This is one awesome tarp!!

Images
    don't be dissin' my clips bro!.

no, they are small but work alot better than the small metal ones i was using before, those snagged the shockcord during packing. these don't, so are alot better in that regard, which was a big thing for me.

i've actually pulled the clips trying to break them for testing purposes, they just opened enough to pop off the ring and then snapped right back into their origional shape...it's a flexible plastic so some pros and cons to that.

i get the best results by pitching the ground corners very tight, but the round panel pulls i usually just pull out very slightly.

as for the corner pull tabs, i tried to rip the corner completely off the tarp with a truckers hitch, but could not. the silnylon just stretched an insane amount and deformed, but showed no specific stress points. i'm extremely happy with the new corner pull tab configuration.

speaking of, i haven't formally announced it yet, but i've switched away from the full edge binding i have been using in the past (both for sil and spinn). i now am using edge binding on the ridgeline only, and rolled hems on the perimeter. i like this configuration the best by far. all models are shipping this way already except for the edge, which will switch as soon as the old version inventory is gone

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmarbleshoe View Post
    Have you seen my Backwoods Daydreamer Winter Dream Tarp. custom....

Ridgeline is still 10' but with the doors outreaching to 13'

Scott Littlefield is a great vendor. He can discribe all the details.
    Sorry to post about my tarps here, just needed to clarify one point. It's an 11ft ridgeline, not 10.

That's all.

Oh, and I think, like others have said - once you've gotten used to your WB tarp you're going to find the length is quite adequate.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12