Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Images

Quick Review: WB Superfly

Hey All,

A couple weeks ago I purchased a Superfly. Showed up just before this past weekend, so I had to try it out!

I had it setup in no time. Just be aware, it does not come with any suspension system.

I also bought the add-on doors. (lol, read the instructions... the gray tabs go on the bottom)

I next setup my WBBB/DL/1.7 up underneath it. I will be honest and say that I had hoped that the tarp would have been longer (covered additional length of the hammock). If it was just another 8-10 inches longer, I would have thought it was a perfect length!

So, once it was setup I jumped into the hammock. The tarp does an amazing job!!

The amount of light it reflects out in the day is very nice! (a bit more at night would have been nicer)

Next I threw on the doors and wow did that make a difference! All I can say is I wish my begging of Brandon to permanent-install doors would have been successful! The extra money to get the doors was well worth it! Getting in and out is a trick I've still got to figure out a smoother way of though. My only negative comment about the doors... the draw strings on the bottom that are used to tighten the door... they use little cord locks which worked perfectly... only... there was no knot on the end of the cord, so, if you are not careful when you are tightening them.. and it takes two hands to do so... if you are not careful.... the cord comes right through those suckers and leaves you diving for the cord as it goes flying - lol. I think I am going to tie a small bead on the end of them to make sure the cordage doesn't get through the cord locks. When your hands are cold and wet, that will be an even bigger factor.

The color of it was dead-on perfect for what he says at his website, "this color makes for a very stealthy shelter in most forest environments". I was a little worried about the color of it before I bought it... but once it gets a little wet, this sucker is almost invisible in the Redwoods.

Let me talk about the wet factor... as that is one of the primary purposes of a tarp after all.

Living in the Redwoods forest my entire issue with getting into hammocks was whether or not I would be able to stay dry. I know that a tent can keep me dry, so I had the expectations that a hammock should keep me dry, otherwise, it was just not going to happen.

The first night I stayed in it, it was mid to high 40's. The rain was coming down, but not hard. I was highly impressed by its ability to repel water.

The next morning, after it had been raining all night, I got out and the entire outside was covered with water. It was dripping down the sides. Yet, the inside of the tarp was totally dry!

I left it setup for two more days... through 24/7 rain and very heavy wind. Yesterday, we had 15 or so minutes of hail. I thought for sure if anything was going to abuse this sucker, it would be the hail. I almost went out there just as the hail started to take it down as quickly as I could... but, I figured... "if it cannot survive a bit of hail, do I really want to take it with me?" So, it stayed up.

After having been abused by the torrential rains of the Redwood Forest, some of the worst weather we've had year-to-date, and a very rare hail storm, I figured it was time to go do a full inspection of it.

This thing impressed me!!

The Silnylon did an amazing job of retaining the water. However the hell it works to have multiple layers of water built up inside of it, yet only on the outside of it, is **** impressive! After nearly 72 hours of constant rain, not a single drop of water had made it through to the inside. I ran my hands along the entire inside and it was dry-dry-dry!!

Oh, before I took down my hammock after the first night, I did notice that the main hang-line was wet. Well, to be honest, it was soaked. I could ring out the water when I had it all taken down. Thinking I might put something on them to try to redirect the water. The top of the material of the hammock was not wet, but the cordage was. I think maybe after a bit more learning how to hang things, I may be able to reduce this happening a bit.

As for keeping wind out... the SuperFly w/door does an amazing job of keeping the wind out! For almost two days straight the wind was blowing so hard that the rain was moving horizontally. Yet, inside there was zero noticeable air movement. I was able to be in there, completely out of the rain, and felt no noticeable wind. Very very impressive!

My only other negative comment (beyond the cord locks issue) would be the clips that are used. These darn little black clips are just so cheap that the clip parts pop right out of the inner chamber. That means you have to sit there and tweak them back into the inner chamber before you can take down the system. If you are wearing gloves, or have super cold hands, that is going to be a serious PITA. I have no idea if there are other options out there for lightweight small clips... but, these ones just don't have the strength to do what they are being used for. I know some might say I put too much of a load on them... but when they are being used with cord locks to keep things tight... well, putting a load on them is just the way it is.

Once I figure out an alternative to the clips and the cord locks... this tarp will be hitting the forests for me for sure!

I had considered going with the MacCat Ultra, but I am totally loving the straight-end design of the Superfly! The ability to keep the wind, rain, and hail from coming in the bottom is very awesome! On the third day I lowered the tarp to ground level and that totally resolved even the little bit of rain that was making it into the inner tarp area.

I know I am knew to hammocking, and I am sure I will change as I spend more time in the hammock world. My only thoughts at this point is I wish there was something bigger out there. I know the Superfly is already a mammoth tarp for most of you. I guess this is just a by-product of the tent-era on my part... but, something a little longer (8-10 inches in length) to cover more of the tarp, and something another foot in height (for us really tall people) would be awesome! Until such a time... this Superfly is going to be the tarp for me!!

Anyway, that's about it! This SuperFly is one awesome tarp guys!!

http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/tarps.php

John

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Great review...quite thorough. I can't wait to see a non-quick review from you. It sounds like you will be happy with the tarp!

Do you have any pics of the clips that you didn't like?
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix 0
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Guy View Post
    Oh, before I took down my hammock after the first night, I did notice that the main hang-line was wet. Well, to be honest, it was soaked. I could ring out the water when I had it all taken down. Thinking I might put something on them to try to redirect the water. The top of the material of the hammock was not wet, but the cordage was. I think maybe after a bit more learning how to hang things, I may be able to reduce this happening a bit.

http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/tarps.php

John
    I wonder, could you put something on the webbing to shed the water...silicone spray, scotch guard or some such nonsense? Great review by the by, gives me something to look forward to when my WBBB and Superfly get here!

Banned
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Great review...quite thorough. I can't wait to see a non-quick review from you. It sounds like you will be happy with the tarp!

Do you have any pics of the clips that you didn't like?

LOL, thanks! Yeah, the long review will include a bunch of photos and more details

Here is a photo of the blasted little black clip... crappy iphone photo... http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2665/...b92ea20a_o.jpg

Though much more expensive... I have some McGizmo Clips sitting around I think I'm going to try. Having these little black suckers push out like that is just a serious no-joy when my hands were freezing.

Banned
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noontime View Post
    I wonder, could you put something on the webbing to shed the water...silicone spray, scotch guard or some such nonsense? Great review by the by, gives me something to look forward to when my WBBB and Superfly get here!
    Thanks!

I cannot remember if it was JRB or hennessyhammock, but one of them had these little strips of material that they basically safety-pined on. I think it was hennessyhammock, but their website is so nearly impossible to find stuff, that I cannot seem to find it now. It was just something on some sub-page of a sub-page of a sub-page that I came across. Seemed overpriced for what it was, but, should be easy enough to put some felt or such material on there and have it redirect. Cotton fabric has pretty good wicking properties, so something as simple as a couple of cotton bandanas that I already carry should work. No idea... going to take time to try different things

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Guy View Post
    Here is a photo of the blasted little black clip...
    Unless I'm mistaken, the long 'leg' of the clip opening should be to the inside of the shorter section instead of outside. I don't know if it will stay there under tension, but you might try manipulating the clip to be that way...perhaps it will be more rigid.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Banned
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, the long 'leg' of the clip opening should be to the inside of the shorter section instead of outside. I don't know if it will stay there under tension, but you might try manipulating the clip to be that way...perhaps it will be more rigid.
    The photo is showing how is ends up after you put a load on it.

Hammock
    JRB Bridge and WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Gossamer Gear 1/4"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings!
    I have heard that cotton shoe strings tied on your suspension just inside the tarp works as a dripline just fine. Can't say I have tried it though.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    RG, like Bleemus said, a simple string tied to your ridgeline tie out, about an inch away from your tarp works great. As the water/rain runs down the line, it hits the string you have tied on. Any knot will do. As the water hits the line, gravity works in your favor and diverts the water down to the ground. A piece of string 6-8 inches long is sufficient to do the job. Easy fix
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Doors can be there all the time

Fastest and easiest is to leave doors on all the time. I have fastened "opening" corners elastic cord loops to the opposite side plastic clips (grey corner clips). So when I put up the tarp I just hang the other end then walk to the other tree and take the tarp out at the same time and hang it there. After that just corners to the ground and tarp is ready.

I hang the hammock after tarp. I keep the hammock inside package until it hangs inside the tarp. It must be done so because it must go through those closed doors. In this point it is good to have those long webbing straps. Usually they are long enough to hang hammock without taking it out from its bag, so hammock stays dry and does not touch ground at all.

After hammock is hanged I go in and open bag and tighten those webbings when taking hammock out at the same time.

One thing to remember is that I hang the tarp high and so I can go in under doors, elastic cords give just enough room for that. If one hangs tarp almost to the ground doors must be opened after hanging tarp.

Hope this helps... now I must go and wake my wife or she will be late at work.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast