Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles

Bugnet for top insulation value

I do know that Dutch sells a top cover for the Chameleon but I was thinking that a bug net might provide some level of heat retention.

I’m going backpacking tomorrow and temps will be approaching mid 30’s. I plan on lowering my rectangle tarp to retain heat and close one end to minimize breeze.

Winds are supposed to peak about 7mph but stay mostly below that if you believe the weather forecast.

What is the collective experience here regarding zip on bug nets in this situation. Does a zip on bug net provide any reasonable heat retention?

Fwitw I will be using a 40* TQ, an SLD UQ - 40* with the integrated UQP and if I need it, a thermarest pad.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    In my experience it seems that it does help a little bit. Helps keep the breeze off you a bit in the hammock.
    Enjoy your hang out there.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I think the bug net does help with heat retention just a little. I have no way to quantify that though, just my feeling. I think if you can create a fairly static air flow situation under your tarp, that's better than not, at least for what you are trying to accomplish.

I know that in hot weather the bug net virtually stops any air movement through the hammock. I also know that in cold weather, when the bug net is opened an immediate draft of cold air comes in. I do believe they help in cold weather.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    I know that in hot weather the bug net virtually stops any air movement through the hammock.
    A few weeks ago I had 3 consistent warm nights, lows around 50 so it was 60-55 when going to bed and most of the night. I am always TOTALLY AMAZED feeling that cool air rush in when I open the bug net about 12" and spread it apart. I really wanted to zip it off completely but I heard one stubborn mosquito so I played it safe.

Heat retention though, I'm not sure. I guess a little but nothing I would count on.

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Thank you all for the insight.

Maybe I will do one night with, one night without. But without a temp recorder, it's still subjective.

I do appreciate everyone's POV.

Quote Originally Posted by Pop_Eye View Post
    Thank you all for the insight.

Maybe I will do one night with, one night without. But without a temp recorder, it's still subjective.

I do appreciate everyone's POV.

I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer with a wireless sensor. I hang the sensor on my tarp guyline to the tree and when I call it a night, I put the display part in my ridgeline organizer. My hammock has a half-zip attached bugnet and I've noticed that inside the hammock it's usually about 2 degrees warmer after I've been in it a while. I have no idea how much of that difference is the tarp and how much of it is the bugnet. The big thing for me is if I have a choice of hanging locations, I try to pick one where the wind hits the tarp sides and doesn't go through parallel to the hammock. (Unless it's a hot summer night)

- Clyde

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWatson View Post
    I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer with a wireless sensor. I hang the sensor on my tarp guyline to the tree and when I call it a night, I put the display part in my ridgeline organizer. My hammock has a half-zip attached bugnet and I've noticed that inside the hammock it's usually about 2 degrees warmer after I've been in it a while. I have no idea how much of that difference is the tarp and how much of it is the bugnet. The big thing for me is if I have a choice of hanging locations, I try to pick one where the wind hits the tarp sides and doesn't go through parallel to the hammock. (Unless it's a hot summer night)

- Clyde
    Excellent idea, thanks! I used to be in the temperature controls business but all my thermo measuring devices are not really backpack friendly!

Good data, 2 degrees doesn't seem like a lot, but it really is since the only heat generating device is the hammock occupant.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    As per other comments above, it does knock down the breeze and reduce convective heat loss.

Depends on the breeze in question, though... 14°F with a 20mph wind and it's going to be practically negligible.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts