Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images

Loyalsock Trail Thruhike, 59.2 miles

https://youtu.be/sUIsgbwJPyg

Did a 4 day/3 night thruhike with my son on the Loyalsock trail in Pennsylvania. We completed the entire 59.2 miles. Day 1 approximately 14 miles, Day 2 approximately 20 miles, Day 3 approximately 17 miles and day 4 was approximately 8 miles. We went west to east. Parked my car at the east end near Dutchman falls and got a shuttle to the west end where we started. This trail was tough!! Definitely a rugged trail with plenty of beautiful vistas and waterfalls. The fall colors were about 1 week past prime..but still plentiful and popping. The waterfalls were flowing slowly, I am sure in the springtime they would all be heavy flow and more impressive, but we still enjoyed what we got to see. We had perfect weather, it did rain overnight on our second night, but we were nestled snug in our hammocks under our tarps and sound asleep!! Early to rise and start hiking so we could get our 20 and 17 mile days in.. just as the sun would set and darkness fall upon us. This trail has been on my want to do list for at least the last 8 years.. and I am so happy my son came with me and I got to share these memories with him!! He definitely gave me the strength to push on when i was getting beat down towards the last few miles too. If you have the time and interest.. check out the video I posted above (if that link works), if it does not work.. i will repost another link.
    We really enjoyed the last day.. arriving in the Haystacks was the highlight of the trail for me!! In spring time it is a class 4 whitewater rapid section!! We both whitewater kayak.. currently in class 2 and 3 rapids.. so seeing this area was a HUGE bonus after walking 4 days and 57 miles!! It was definitely a special moment for us and we took a nice break there and too it all in.
    I would recommend this trail to anyone looking for a challenging adventure with 4 or 5 days.. even 6 to spare.
    Last edited by Dirtbaghiker; 10-20-2020 at 11:22.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20 deg
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Great video! The fall colors looked nice there. Some of the falls there looked a bit dry so that's a bummer but that trail has so much good to it. Looked like the first night you were hanging right from the same site I was at. The haystacks was awesome... I spent a solid 20 minutes or so just sitting there watching the water and did some rock hopping. I think next time I do the trail again will definitely be spring time. I'd love to see Dutchman Falls in full force.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    All so true!!!

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    EE 20 deg
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    So on the 2nd night it looked like you made it close to splash ****... where did you camp on the 3rd night? Was that just past Alpine Falls? I didn't realize you had a 2nd person because that sweet hang spot at the top of Alpine is really only for one hammock so yeah, hope I didn't screw you up at all on that.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    3rd night we camped just a 2 or 3 minute walk to mile marker 51.. it was getting dark, we were tired and just found a nice spot off trail to pitch hammocks, eat dinner and sleep.
    No worries man, you did not screw us up at all... our plan was all for rough estimates.. what ever happened happened and we were planning on camping wherever we got tired.. or too dark.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Nice video, looks like it was a fun trip.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Oh yes. It was a blast!!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Wow, what a great trip! Now I'm inspired to get out and do the end to end.

Very impressed that your son did the whole thing as well!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Well... End to end was an adventure no doubt. It was my longest thru hike, and my sons also. I have done the Black Forest, West Rim and Allegheny Front trails .. This was definitely the toughest and roughest of the 4 trips..being the longest too. Honestly there was so much to see and my video only shows 20 minutes worth.. But we both agreed that the last day was probably our favorite.. Passing Sones pond was so peaceful and then walking into the Hay stacks was so exciting even though water level was low. Then to wrap everything up at Dutchman Falls was cool! I would definitely return in the spring to hike that last section again and see the Falls and Hay stacks in full force! My son is 14.. I am 45, lol.. He better be able to Do this.. I was struggling a bit towards the ends of day 2 (20 miles) and day 3(17 miles) lolol. Towards the end of the trip he said to me.. " We should plan a week long trip and go into the Grand Canyon."
    Add it to my list!!

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Nevermind.. was trying to get video up.. but figured it out and editing original post

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast