View Poll Results: For those who realistically could/would participate, your choice for a winter GYE hang?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Downhill Skiing and car camping.

0 0%
  • Backcountry camping - Cross-country/Snow-shoe

1 100.00%
  • Interested after Covid has passed.

0 0%
    Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts

Winter Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem (GYE) Hang

Hello all,
    It has been a very tough year for group hangs so I am reaching out to see if there is adequate interest in a winter hang in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem (GYE). A couple of hang themes come to mind. At this point, probably looking at the January or February timeframe.

I have a couple of options in mind:
    1) Downhill Skiing. There are a number of fantastic options for downhill skiing in my area on the north side of the GYE. All have campground options close by (accessible, but not necessarily “open” with services). This would be primarily a car camping option with only limited need to transport gear in from the entrance – likely less than a quarter mile.
    2) Backcountry camping. Cross-country skiing/snow shoeing into backcountry sites. We could use a single backcountry site or move site to site. There are a lot of backcountry options both within and around Yellowstone Park that would be fun (we have taken many BSA trips into the park that were a lot of fun). There many potential destinations and difficulty levels to choose from.

I am adding a poll to gather some idea of interest. Looking forward to all the comments and conversation but am looking for people that could/would realistically participate in such a hang in this area at that time of year to respond to the poll.
    Last edited by Alamosa; 10-18-2020 at 18:06.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    You might check the availability of a FS rental cabin or possibly an outfitter who rents yurts. I've been on similar trips in Colorado a number of years ago. I've also skied through the Bog Marshes Wilderness from south to north, and east to west, as well as through the Teton Wilderness and southern YNP, and etc. Now I'm old and like hot chocolate and a good book until summer (just finished "Crossing the Gates of the Artic", now that fellow had some gonads). Of course be prepared to grapple with inclement conditions. A rental cabin or yurt would provide an good location to prepare meals and get some respite from the cold.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    You are correct that Montana has a plethora of group hang opportunities. The Bob Marshall Wilderness would probably be better combined with Glacier NP and I think south Yellowstone and the Tetons would be another potential option. However, the northern Yellowstone area certainly holds its own in any conversation on outdoor/winter opportunities.

Having done many dozens of winter camps without a cabin/basecamp option, I would prefer to stay away from being tied to one for a backcountry adventure, but it could be discussed along with all the other safety precautions necessary to stay safe. At this point, I am trying to judge if there is enough interest (at least this year) to justify the conversation.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I'd participate. I'm a winter camper in Colorado but that's worth driving up for!
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    UGQ Down
    Suspension
    Treeee straps!
    This is a bit of a haul from me — about 12 hours — but with enough advance notice I could pull it off.

A hike into a base camp with day hike / snowshoe treks sounds interesting.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    If I had some better cold weather gear, I would be all over this. I'm trying to talk the CFO into letting me purchasing a winter quilt set, which could be stacked with my summer set if the temps get too low.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Yes, a winter trek in Montana presents some challenges for cold weather gear and distance. I make it down to Colorado, Utah, and New Mexico a few times a year and it is a long drive. Hopefully, we can find some times that work.

We must be prepared for cold weather and hope for warm. I am seeing projections for as low as -8*F in town this weekend (teens for a high) and double digit negatives for the surrounding mountains with highs in the single digits. We will need to be sure everyone is prepared and safe.

• + New Posts