DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Here is a link that gives a little bit more information specifically in regulations to your local area. It's stated in here and I've said this several times and I can't stress this enough I would meet with your Colville National Forest Forest ranger's office in person and discuss with your park rangers where you would be able to camp. For a whole number of reasons but in this particular case for two you're going to win points with the forest rangers, and you're going to get some of the best information about where to go as these guys are regularly out in these territories.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/colvi...stelprd3844577

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    Darien, El Dorado
    Tarp
    Walmart Special
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    Here is a link that gives a little bit more information specifically in regulations to your local area. It's stated in here and I've said this several times and I can't stress this enough I would meet with your Colville National Forest Forest ranger's office in person and discuss with your park rangers where you would be able to camp. For a whole number of reasons but in this particular case for two you're going to win points with the forest rangers, and you're going to get some of the best information about where to go as these guys are regularly out in these territories.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/colvi...stelprd3844577

I see, thank you. I will review the info and hopefully find a spot and report back since my weekend is tomorrow!

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Promotions View Post
    I see, thank you. I will review the info and hopefully find a spot and report back since my weekend is tomorrow!
    Too funny - My "Friday" is Tuesday and my "weekend" is Wed and Thurs.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time

I have hammock camped for 20+ years in WA State Park campgrounds as well as Forest Service, BLM, DNR and National Park campgrounds, dispersed campsites and backcountry campgrounds all over the state, both on the west side and east side. I have never ever been told that I can’t hammock camp. Heck, I have even hung in a Wenatchee City Park to test a new hammock and they didn’t care once they knew I wasn’t planning on spending the night, lol. It’s probably best to avoid city parks and get the heck out of the city though as your options are limitless.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Check out this article as well - perhaps better

https://www.capitolhilloutfitters.co...persed-camping

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Promotions View Post
    Thank you for the suggestions. I would ultimately like to be backpacking, but trying to get some health issues resolved first (back, hips, knees.) In the meantime, just looking for somewhere relatively near to hang with my lady.

I started backpacking this year. There is nothing wrong with parking at a trail head and hiking in a bit. One mile, five miles, it doesn’t matter. As long as dispersed camping is allowed, it’s a great way to get your hang on.

You hang one night, maybe two, then pack out.

There are also dispersed camp sites called walk ins. You park your car and hoof it maybe a hundred yards, maybe a hundred feet. Check out recreation.gov for places near you. This might be the ticket while the health issues get resolved.

My first few “backpack” trips were at these walk in camp sites. I used the experience like a shakedown to see how little I really needed to live a few days in the woods. The experience was very helpful for me.

Lastly, there are nature preserves near me that I utilized for practice hangs. The parks rules are clearly posted at their trail heads and it mentions everything I can’t do. No fires, no dogs, no overnight camping etc. It didn’t mention no hammocking so I take that as permission to hang. I typically try and hang where someone from the road or trail would not easily detect me.

YMMV with local rules though.

Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    UGQ Down
    Suspension
    Treeee straps!
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I would rethink your attitude towards BLM lands. Back in the late 1980s/early 90s, I moved to Tucson, Arizona. I was fascinated by the different ecosystems all over the state. Soon, I discovered the BLM, which manages something like two thirds of Arizona land. I was especially interested in finding riparian (wetland) areas of Arizona (sometimes you get tired of looking at cactus and desert and want to see a tree or a stream). I found this one area east of Tucson on a map, and it looked like it probably had riparian areas.

So I called up the BLM and asked them if I could visit the land. They said sure - they didn't get that many requests to visit their lands but I could get a permit for a few bucks and it would allow me to camp on the land. The only problem: no campsites, no trails, no latrines, no nothing. Sounded good to me! I bought some topo maps and headed into the desert. I didn't have more than a couple of gallons of water, and definitely needed to find a water source to survive. After a few hours of hiking, I saw something in the distance that looked like a tree. I made a beeline to that area, and lo and behold, there was not only one tree, but many trees, and a stream with fish in it! You just don't see many riparian areas in the lowlands of Arizona.

After that, I started visiting BLM lands more and more, because they were really amazing and you never knew what you'd discover. Dangerous? Yes, but wilderness? They manage a lot of it, places you can go for a hike and die, and nobody will ever find your body. That's my kind of wilderness!

When my mother died, after a long battle with cancer, I headed out into the Arizona wilderness for some time to think. My wife asked me, "Where are you going?" and my reply was "East." She said, "When are you coming back?" and I answered, "A few days." I hiked into the wilderness and found a shallow stream, almost like a pond. I took off my clothes and laid in that stream for an hour or two. Once it got dark, I slept right next to that stream.

During all my time hiking on BLM lands, I never once saw another human. However, one time, I picked up the rib of a saguaro cactus to use as a hiking staff. When I got back to my car, a ranger came up to me and said, "You can't take that saguaro rib. It's against the law." Nice to know the BLM rangers are out there protecting against the theft of saguaro ribs!
    BLM lands weren’t an issue when I lived in Arizona.. Arizona Trust Land was a different story. But rules change with administrations. Best read up.

Hammock
    Darien, El Dorado
    Tarp
    Walmart Special
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    I found a couple of spots to try, but decided to prioritize an indoor setup first. I'm kinda hoping it will help with some of those health issues. We got hit by a freak winter storm last week so now I'm working on that fancy DIY underquilt too.

In terms of the "if its not posted disallowed, its allowed", I ran into that exact issue with that e-mail I attached in the OP. The sign at the park said nothing about restricting hammocks, but ultimately the statute the sign was based off of did. I'm sure I would have either been ignored or at worst just asked to move on, but unfortunately that's just how I am, been called a boyscout buzzkill all my life and I don't think it's gonna change.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12