Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles

DIY toggle - Using gutter nails

My first attempt at a DIY toggle was not so successful.

DIY_Toggles_1.jpg

I used some hollow aluminum tube that I found at the local hardware. I drilled a hole and added a zing it continuous loop. They lasted the night but I was glad I checked on them in the morning because the marlin spike hitch strap just about flattened them. Obviously my weight exceeded the crush depth of the material.

They were not easy to remove from the tree strap, but I found some backup toggle material to use for the second night.

My second attempt was much more robust.

DIY_Toggles_2.jpg

I found some alluminum "nails" used for attaching gutter channel to the eaves of a house.

It took a bit of polishing to get them slick enough but they work great. The steps I took were:

1. Cut off the nail head and cut the resulting shaft in half.
    2. Chucked one of the shafts in a drill and "finish" them, locked the drill switch on and used it like a lathe
    3. Start with a fine toothed file to knock off the high spots not putting too much pressure on the toggle
    4. Change to 100 grit sand paper, repeat
    5. Change to 220 grit paper, repeat
    6. Finish with steel wool.

The trickiest part was drilling a hole for the lash it loop. But a pilot hole first then the finished size hole made it easier. I had a countersink bit and used it to de-burr the holes

I've used these on a few hangs and I use one for my food bag hang. Being solid, they did not crush like the aluminum tube did.

Mine weigh in at 6gr each and cost less than $2.00 US for a set of 4.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    11' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Beckett and EVOs
    Pretty cool idea - I think I'm going to make a few of these to try out!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Nice job, Pop_Eye. Mine are very similar. I found I could start the small hole for the zing-it by using a small triangular file to make a little transverse notch in the gutter spike.

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Nice job, Pop_Eye. Mine are very similar. I found I could start the small hole for the zing-it by using a small triangular file to make a little transverse notch in the gutter spike.
    Thanks,

The first hole drifted a lot. I used a punch to get the pilot drill to bite!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Made a few sets years back using a $0.99 aluminum stake from Wally World. One set completed a few thru hikes with one of our members, the other set is now part of my bear bag kit.

Huge picture warning....
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Made a few sets years back using a $0.99 aluminum stake from Wally World. One set completed a few thru hikes with one of our members, the other set is now part of my bear bag kit.

Huge picture warning....
    Nice smooth finish on the toggles. What department in Wally World had those stakes? Tent stakes?

I also use them for my food bag as well. I was glad to have the loop attached because my food bag hang tangled up with the cheap carabiner that clipped to my dry bag.. I ended up getting a long stick with a few forked twigs near the end and snared the loop. It was easy to dislodge the spike hitch, lower the food bag and save the backpack trip!

Edit: plus bravo on sewing the toggles on the end of your tree straps. That is a cool idea!
    Last edited by Pop_Eye; 10-17-2020 at 18:46. Reason: Grammar and adding a line at the end

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pop_Eye View Post
    Nice smooth finish on the toggles. What department in Wally World had those stakes? Tent stakes?

I also use them for my food bag as well. I was glad to have the loop attached because my food bag hang tangled up with the cheap carabiner that clipped to my dry bag.. I ended up getting a long stick with a few forked twigs near the end and snared the loop. It was easy to dislodge the spike hitch, lower the food bag and save the backpack trip!

Edit: plus bravo on sewing the toggles on the end of your tree straps. That is a cool idea!
    I recall the stakes being in outdoor section in a bucket attached to an end-cap at the head of the aisle. And.... now that I think about it, might have been Dicks sporting goods.

I switched from a carabiner to a soft shackle spliced onto my food bag. The weight of the bag keeps the soft shackle elongated, which my hope is prevents it from fouling. The toggle on my bear bag line has a tiny mitten hook so I can clip it on the rock sock or to the bear bag line so I don't lose it.

Yes, the smooth finish on the toggle likely saved the day for you. If that were a trail stick you might not have been able to pull it out. I had a Dutch PCT stick that I ditched for that reason. Almost too secure.
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Wide Chameleon
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post

I switched from a carabiner to a soft shackle spliced onto my food bag. The weight of the bag keeps the soft shackle elongated, which my hope is prevents it from fouling. The toggle on my bear bag line has a tiny mitten hook so I can clip it on the rock sock or to the bear bag line so I don't lose it.

Hmm, never occurred to me to try a soft shackle on the food bag. Thanks for the idea!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pop_Eye View Post
    Hmm, never occurred to me to try a soft shackle on the food bag. Thanks for the idea!
    For clarity, I use one of the early double larks head evo loops in Lawson Ultra Glide Bear Line, with a diamond knot tied in the end. Used that because of the incredible reflective values of that stuff.
    Bob's brother-in-law

I wonder what that original tubing was made for- how thin, etc.

I cut an old aluminum arrow shaft I had into 4 toggles and its worked well for quite a few years.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast