SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket

Mule Tape - pros and cons

I do love this stuff. So cheap, so flexible, so soft, so easy to work with.

I’ve been experimenting with various suspension options. So far, the myerstech blue polyester lightweight straps are my go to, but mule tape seems very appealing.

Then, I saw this - yikes! The only thing I want to worry about burning after hiking all day is my food, not my suspension. Seems like a forced situation, but this could easily happen - plop down on the hammock, etc.

Also a decent analysis of the protect the tree with a wider strap issue

So, what is your personal experience with mule tape?

I just bought some of this to experiment with its 5/8 width 1800# seems super solid to me, but triple nickels catastrophic failure is hard to ignore.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    If it ain't broke don't fix it.
    I have a lot, hundreds of feet of mule tape, but don't use it with the hammock. Main reason for me is neatness. I can easily and quickly roll my 1" webbing, so it doesn't get tangled. I don't know why, but the mule tape doesn't like to roll up.

Sent from my couch

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    A couple of negatives...

1) It can snag on tree bark, pulling out fibers, so it gets really ratty looking in short order,

2) If there is even a little slippage, which you might see with Becket Hitch etc, it can shred the cross-wise fibers. With a big slip, as you saw in that video, it can be totally shredded, pronto.

Also, I don't know how it holds up (or if it's even compatible at all) when used with hardware, but I suspect not very well. It is rather heavy.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I've got one suspension set that consists of Kevlar huggers with mule tape leaders. Tie it off to CLs with a becket.

I really don't see an advantage over straps alone, or huggers and Amsteel/Dynaglide leaders.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I've got one suspension set that consists of Kevlar huggers with mule tape leaders. Tie it off to CLs with a becket.

I really don't see an advantage over straps alone, or huggers and Amsteel/Dynaglide leaders.
    Likewise. I tried it in a setup just like that and didn't see any real advantage. If anything, disadvantages over other materials - cmoulder summed them up. I guess the biggest advantage is that it's cheap. And lightweight compared to some options, but it's definitely not the be all end all.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Pretty sure the weight of the Kevlar/Mule Tape versus Kevlar/Amsteel was about the same.

Advantage to Amsteel in versatility if the leader needed to be deployed to some other use.

I just remembered that I do have mule tape straps permanently mounted in my garage for hammock hanging.
    Bob's brother-in-law

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Pretty sure the weight of the Kevlar/Mule Tape versus Kevlar/Amsteel was about the same.
    Not sure if this was in reply to my post, but I meant mule tape has a weight advantage over using a long length of poly strap or similar.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Not sure if this was in reply to my post, but I meant mule tape has a weight advantage over using a long length of poly strap or similar.
    I would think so.
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    From rock climbing days, decades ago, I learned how much heat is generated when on material is rubbed against another - enough heat the melt the outer sheath of the rope.

So I make and effort never to have rope (or line, webbing, amsteel, etc.) against rope. I put a metal ring or carabiner in the system so it’s not fiber against fiber. Any weight saving in materials by just using knots and fiber against fiber would be offset by the heaviness in my mind knowing the setup could have … issues.

Playing with those knots is fine on a sunny day. Maybe not so much fun or ease when the line is wet and your fingers are cold.

So the “Con” is not against the mule tape per say. It’s against using line on line. Note the comments on the video that there was no problem on the side that used a hardware hook to connect line to line. The comment on the video said there was no problem if the hammock wasn’t shock loaded. But I prefer systems that are more “set and forget” rather than “set and be concerned”.

Kudos to Mr. Tree (second video) for educating us about the various strap dynamics.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 10-24-2020 at 12:50.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    This is why I test a bunch to make sure there is zero slippage with the webbing/cordage that is being used with a particular knot for a chosen application.

When my noggin is hanging over a rock, failure is not an option.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast