Hammock
    DreamHammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    UGQ Down
    Suspension
    Treeee straps!
    Also nice to use in damp conditions — fog, wet snow etc to protect the UQ from losing insulation. Very handy here in the PNW!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic View Post
    Thanks for this. I was wondering if angling the tarp downwards (as opposed to always keeping it perfectly parallel to the ground) for extra coverage at the head end was something that was done, and you do exactly that in this video, which answers my question.
    I rarely pitch my tarp horizontally. It always follows the hammock ridge line, with the head end lower than the foot. Also stake out the head end more upright and tight, with the foot end typically in a single or double porch mode. And if I am using the Standard with doors or the Palace, I typically close the head end doors and leave the foot open.

I always enter under the tarp from the foot end, my view is typically from the foot end as well.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rweb82 View Post
    Impeccable timing on the video. My 2QZQ UQP arrived on Thursday- just in time to use it on my overnighter last night. I like it!

P.S.- If you keep posting videos of products I have just purchased (or are about to purchase), I'm going to start thinking that you're secretly working for Google!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Google works for me~~~!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Dawg View Post
    I have to get one of these. Mainly because where I hike here on the east coast depending on weather I've had times of getting additional moisture on my uq from camping around streams and such. Maybe that protector will be a good blockade I'd assume.
    True. Mine has helped with fog camping in the mountains. I should have mentioned that on the video but alas......there ya' go.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic View Post
    Thanks for this. I was wondering if angling the tarp downwards (as opposed to always keeping it perfectly parallel to the ground) for extra coverage at the head end was something that was done, and you do exactly that in this video, which answers my question.
    With a smaller tarp widthwise it helps get it down towards the head end if needed for rainy weather. Better protection. My tarp is rarely level.

Quote Originally Posted by Watertooner View Post
    For dog owners, an underquilt protector keeps greasy dog hair from coating your down underquilt. My dogs sleep beneath my hammock every night and it's much easier to wash and dry the UQP than the underquilt itself.
    Hound owners...good info.

Quote Originally Posted by hang-anon View Post
    Also nice to use in damp conditions — fog, wet snow etc to protect the UQ from losing insulation. Very handy here in the PNW!
    True. Mine has kept my UQ dry sleeping in clouds.

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I rarely pitch my tarp horizontally. It always follows the hammock ridge line, with the head end lower than the foot. Also stake out the head end more upright and tight, with the foot end typically in a single or double porch mode. And if I am using the Standard with doors or the Palace, I typically close the head end doors and leave the foot open.

I always enter under the tarp from the foot end, my view is typically from the foot end as well.
    Righto. Mine is hardly ever level.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Another great vid Shug... topped off with yet another great T-Shirt!

I've been doing this hammock thing for a few years and never used an UQP. Just felt it was one more thing to carry and wasn't something I would benefit from.

When fall temps come I have often waffled over when to change quilts. By the thermometer the 40F Phoenix should be fine for a while yet, as overnight temps haven't even come down to the 50's yet. But I get a small breach somewhere at the foot end of the Phoenix, depending on how my legs are positioned and the leak of cool air has had me change to a full length UQ earlier than I need to. This year I contemplated adding a full 40F to the arsenal just to combat this.

Last week, I managed to get myself in front of my thread injector in an attempt to catch up on a few way overdue projects, and thought I could use some warmup before diving back in... I had some Argon 90 in inventory, banged out an UQP in about half an hour, and used it that night.

I feel silly for not having tried this sooner...

Leaks were gone. It was pretty breezy and I felt nothing. Nice and cozy. Most certainly added a few degrees of warmth. It's a keeper, and is something that will come with me when weather calls for wind or rain, or when transitioning between UQ comfort ranges. Haven't weighed it yet, but can't be more than three or four ounces.

I did notice that even with the Knotty mod style shock cord adjustments the sides of the UQP would billow open if a stiff breeze came through, so might change to a heavier side shock cord (I used super light 1/16") or consider attaching to the SRL as you mentioned...
    I have on occasion used a a WB sil-nylon poncho/UQ protector all in one as an UQP on my WBRR bridge, with the AHE RR specific UQ. It fits fairly loose on sides and bottom, which might be a benefit for potential condensation I suppose. But, I also remember the breezes seemed to get inside the UQP somehow, I think getting in the gap on the sides. But, I think maybe I was also going tarpless on those hangs, so maybe the wind would have a harder time doing so if it had to first come under the tarp, then back up over the hammock/UQP edge, then back down into the gap between UQP and hammock? Not sure. I have not yet bothered to try to fix that, not certain yet if it is enough of a problem to decrease potential warmth.

I don't remember noticing that problem when using my HHSS with or without a tarp. I think that is because the elastics in the HH under cover snug it close to the hammock edges, plus it comes up pretty high above the hammock edges, even providing some extra wind block for the TQ. Actually, since I often use it without the HH side tie outs, I can just rotate the UC so that on the windward side, it goes all the way up high enough so that it contacts - or nearly contacts- the HH asym tarp. Now that is some wind protection right there!

But, MikeKim, your post got me to thinking: maybe the under cover AKA UQP is the main reason why some of us users - a few of us anyway - have always found the HHSS surprisingly warm for it's weight and far warmer than it looks like it would be? After all, 1/2 or more of the weight is that sil-nylon under cover with the form fitting elastics. The open cell foam pad is only 5/8" thick and weighs only about 10 oz or so, not much for full length. So to just look at the puffiness- or lack thereof - it does not look very warm. But maybe the UQP equivalent - along with the space blanket - fixes a lot of potential heat loss areas? As you say: "Leaks were gone. It was pretty breezy and I felt nothing. Nice and cozy. Most certainly added a few degrees of warmth". I know for certain, and from experience, that when high winds are a problem, it has literally saved my butt. Even with a wide tarp pitch. But maybe it helps out more than I have realized during normal conditions where high winds do not appear to be an issue?

Do mainly to my experience in the high Wyoming Rockies one Sept 2006, I have been touting the advantages of the equivalent of an UQP since I joined here in early 2007. But my becoming a fan of that approach was all by accident, since me getting the HHSS was all a bit of an accident, because I knew no better. I knew of no other approach. I knew of no other hammock systems for backpacking. So I sometimes wonder who was touting them around here before me? Had to be some one? Maybe JRB?

Regardless, I have always been a big fan of UQPs, used with smaller tarps if weight/bulk is a big issue.

Nice Shug... given the good ole UQP a plug!..... James at LSOH also makes up neat coloured patterned UQP suits... purposeful in nature add on another colour to flavour, kit out ya favourite hammock with a brand new suit.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I have on occasion used a a WB sil-nylon poncho/UQ protector all in one as an UQP on my WBRR bridge, with the AHE RR specific UQ. It fits fairly loose on sides and bottom, which might be a benefit for potential condensation I suppose. But, I also remember the breezes seemed to get inside the UQP somehow, I think getting in the gap on the sides. But, I think maybe I was also going tarpless on those hangs, so maybe the wind would have a harder time doing so if it had to first come under the tarp, then back up over the hammock/UQP edge, then back down into the gap between UQP and hammock? Not sure. I have not yet bothered to try to fix that, not certain yet if it is enough of a problem to decrease potential warmth.

I don't remember noticing that problem when using my HHSS with or without a tarp. I think that is because the elastics in the HH under cover snug it close to the hammock edges, plus it comes up pretty high above the hammock edges, even providing some extra wind block for the TQ. Actually, since I often use it without the HH side tie outs, I can just rotate the UC so that on the windward side, it goes all the way up high enough so that it contacts - or nearly contacts- the HH asym tarp. Now that is some wind protection right there!

But, MikeKim, your post got me to thinking: maybe the under cover AKA UQP is the main reason why some of us users - a few of us anyway - have always found the HHSS surprisingly warm for it's weight and far warmer than it looks like it would be? After all, 1/2 or more of the weight is that sil-nylon under cover with the form fitting elastics. The open cell foam pad is only 5/8" thick and weighs only about 10 oz or so, not much for full length. So to just look at the puffiness- or lack thereof - it does not look very warm. But maybe the UQP equivalent - along with the space blanket - fixes a lot of potential heat loss areas? As you say: "Leaks were gone. It was pretty breezy and I felt nothing. Nice and cozy. Most certainly added a few degrees of warmth". I know for certain, and from experience, that when high winds are a problem, it has literally saved my butt. Even with a wide tarp pitch. But maybe it helps out more than I have realized during normal conditions where high winds do not appear to be an issue?

Do mainly to my experience in the high Wyoming Rockies one Sept 2006, I have been touting the advantages of the equivalent of an UQP since I joined here in early 2007. But my becoming a fan of that approach was all by accident, since me getting the HHSS was all a bit of an accident, because I knew no better. I knew of no other approach. I knew of no other hammock systems for backpacking. So I sometimes wonder who was touting them around here before me? Had to be some one? Maybe JRB?

Regardless, I have always been a big fan of UQPs, used with smaller tarps if weight/bulk is a big issue.
    As always BB, your dissertation has a lot of right good thoughts in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbo View Post
    Nice Shug... given the good ole UQP a plug!..... James at LSOH also makes up neat coloured patterned UQP suits... purposeful in nature add on another colour to flavour, kit out ya favourite hammock with a brand new suit.
    I eyeballed those but I do favor a black one but now intrigued by his patterns.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Quote Originally Posted by Watertooner View Post
    For dog owners, an underquilt protector keeps greasy dog hair from coating your down underquilt. My dogs sleep beneath my hammock every night and it's much easier to wash and dry the UQP than the underquilt itself.
    My dog is a Border Collie/Corgi cross. He's like, two times smarter than it takes not to sleep under an obvious overhead falling zone.

Still good advice. Thanks Watertooner
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Agreed, Rolloff, since my Border Collie/Retriever mix outsmarts me on a regular basis. My Golden Retriever also has my number. If my suspension were to give way, the dog beds are positioned such that I would land beside them. It's on their way to their beds that they bump and brush against the UQP.
    The game is the best teacher.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12