Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images

Completing White Mountain 4000 Footers Round 2 - Hammock Camping on Mt. Carrigain

Last weekend I ventured back up to the Whites to complete my second round of the 4000 Footers. I had two peaks left - Mt. Whiteface and Mt. Carrigain. Normally Columbus Day weekend is peak foliage up there but the extremely dry conditions this year caused the leaves to change early.
    By the time I got up there the spectacular firey leaves up high were gone however the birch trees were still popping with their stunning yellow down low. Plenty of color to be had even if it was past peak.

After hiking Whiteface during the day on Friday I drove over to Mt. Carrigain and hiked three miles to hammock camp in a lovely birch forest. It was the last forest before the real climbing began - at that point it was all gnarled pine trees. My first spot ended up having a nasty limb overhead so I switched to another and was in bed by 7 PM. I ended up sleeping fitfully due to the cold weather but I was certainly comfortable enough.

In the pre-dawn hours I hiked up to Carrigain and had the fire tower to myself for 30 minutes. A real treat! Then I spent several hours going down and around the back of Carrigain and making my way to the herd path for Vose Spur. This is one of the New England 100 Highest and it's technically a bushwhack there's enough of a herd path to make it not too miserable.

The only disappointment was that I lost my clogs somewhere along the way down Carrigain. I'll miss them but it did result in some silliness in the video below:

And if you are interested in seeing my previous hike up Whiteface you can see that one here:

Thanks for watching!

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 5.0
    Tarp
    Skjold 10
    Insulation
    Fjol Winterlight
    Suspension
    Amok cinch buckles
    Outstanding! Thanks for sharing that.

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Looked like a good adventure! Seeing those leaves down make me itching to get out on a fall trip.

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Nicely done.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Very nice. I hope to complete some day.

Congratulations!!!!!!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KeeWayKeno View Post
    Outstanding! Thanks for sharing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    Nicely done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    Very nice. I hope to complete some day.

Congratulations!!!!!!
    Thanks very much all.

Quote Originally Posted by Layne View Post
    Looked like a good adventure! Seeing those leaves down make me itching to get out on a fall trip.
    Yeah, I was worried that the season, which seemed to be in fast forward, would go by with me getting up to the mountains for at least one hike. Luckily the window presented itself and I was able to take advantage of a couple beautiful days before all the leaves dropped.

Thank you for the video. I regularly camp up that way. In fact my neighbor and I are going to camp a little ways off Sawyer River Road this weekend just off one of the snowmobile trails. Again, great video.

- Clyde

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWatson View Post
    Thank you for the video. I regularly camp up that way. In fact my neighbor and I are going to camp a little ways off Sawyer River Road this weekend just off one of the snowmobile trails. Again, great video.
    Thanks very much for watching! I must admit that I'm chomping at the bit to get up there again. I really want to try hammock camping once there's some snow on the ground. But I need to up my game so it's definitely time to get into the world of underquilts and perhaps even transition from the sleeping bag to an overquilt. So much to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhody Seth View Post
    Thanks very much for watching! I must admit that I'm chomping at the bit to get up there again. I really want to try hammock camping once there's some snow on the ground. But I need to up my game so it's definitely time to get into the world of underquilts and perhaps even transition from the sleeping bag to an overquilt. So much to learn!
    I haven't gone to a top quilt yet. I just unzip the sleeping bag and use it like a top quilt. Here's Fourth Iron campsites near Carrigain. This weekend it got down to 15F. I had a military feather sleeping bag (M-1949, heavy as all get out) and a 20* OV Aerie UQ, plus I supplemented with a couple hot hands packets. :-)

- Clyde

fourth.jpg

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWatson View Post
    I haven't gone to a top quilt yet. I just unzip the sleeping bag and use it like a top quilt. Here's Fourth Iron campsites near Carrigain. This weekend it got down to 15F. I had a military feather sleeping bag (M-1949, heavy as all get out) and a 20* OV Aerie UQ, plus I supplemented with a couple hot hands packets. :-)
    Thanks for posting the picture of your setup. I just pulled the trigger on the Hammock Gear 0* Econ Incubator UQ. It'll take a couple months before it ships but I'm excited to hopefully use it up in the Whites this winter!

• + New Posts