Blackbird Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Mountain Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow, Ridgereape
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

VIDEO: Hammock Camping in the Boundary Water Canoe Area

A last minute backpacking trip to the the Boundary Water Canoe Area (BWCA), a part of the Superior National Forest in NE Minnesota, in late September provided spectacular fall colors.

Specifically we drove 5 hours north to about 1 hour north west of the city of Ely, to walk the Sioux-Hustler Trail, a 31 mile loop. A rugged trail, beaver dams, rain, and occupied campsites cause some challenges, but my buddy Stephen and I really enjoyed the trip. I think you will too.

This trail is relatively flat, however it is more rugged than most long backpacking trails like the SHT, AT, Ice Age Trail, and CT. Beaver Dams, mud, over growth, and slippery. Its not miserable, but your hiking pace will be slower than other trails. Spur trails to lakes and campsites are longer but worth the diversion since that is where the views are. Campers can stay at campsites up to 14 days and campsites are not shared. In fact, walking into occupied campsites is frowned upon (my bad).

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Saved to watch later tonight at home. I've never been there in person, but have really enjoyed the beauty from others visits and videos. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Man that occupied campsite situation is a tough one. On the SHT I have always managed to fit in at my planned site (equal parts luck and creativity). I understand heading to the BWCA for solitude but I can't really imagine telling someone who walks into camp late to hit the trail. Maybe if it was a large group that was going to be making noise but one or two folks just looking for somewhere to rest?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroa View Post
    Man that occupied campsite situation is a tough one. On the SHT I have always managed to fit in at my planned site (equal parts luck and creativity). I understand heading to the BWCA for solitude but I can't really imagine telling someone who walks into camp late to hit the trail. Maybe if it was a large group that was going to be making noise but one or two folks just looking for somewhere to rest?
    Yessir...different way up there as compared to hiking trails like SHT.
    But as we have to buy permits to enter the BWCA it makes it different. The hiking trails share sites that canoers use so that makes it different than a lot of trails. A hiker may just have to scramble and stealth camp if sites are taken. The BWCA does have a strict 9 persons to site rule.
    Canoers don't think like backpackers so a walker up there must be ready to improvise.
    I've had camps up there to myself and have had canoers coming toward my camp and see me and move on. Even though I was solo.
    I'd share a camp up there with hikers coming to camp late if I needed to. But I too go for the solitude and hope to not have too.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Winterdream 12
    Insulation
    HG 0 UQ / 20 TQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    Images
    Thanks for sharing the video. I enjoyed watching!

• + New Posts