Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Hammock Gear Testing Video

Greetings All

I had some new gear to test including a new digital camera with a movie mode. So I shot this video this afternoon at a local park.

If anyone has another solution to my bug net dilemma, I would be happy to hear it.

Thanks

Brian

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Hey BW. Is the bugnet a DIY? Looking at your rig it appears you have a lot more sag than most people use, which creates a number of complications. My first suggestion would be to reduce the sag but that would essentially make the hammock longer and then it might be too long for the net. A structural ridgeline that's 83% of the hammock length gets mentioned here a lot. I believe it comes from a reverse engineering of Hennessy hammocks. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Thank you for the video. I especially liked that you included the unexpected problem with the bug net. Sometimes we can learn more be seeing what didn't work. Smart idea with the key-ring.
    "Every minute outside ... is a good minute!" -> Calvin & Hobbes, 8/1/1993

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Good luck with the bug-net ...... seems your hammock ridgeline is really high due to a lot of sag.
    You'll find a work-around that.
    You can hear that you are having fun ...... only way to hang.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Hey BW. Is the bugnet a DIY? Looking at your rig it appears you have a lot more sag than most people use, which creates a number of complications. My first suggestion would be to reduce the sag but that would essentially make the hammock longer and then it might be too long for the net. A structural ridgeline that's 83% of the hammock length gets mentioned here a lot. I believe it comes from a reverse engineering of Hennessy hammocks. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Actually, Knotty, the bug net is off the shelf and is supposed to be designed for use with my particular brand of hammock. In reading further reviews of this bug net I found that some people returned it due to it being too short. I will test out using less sag, but I don't think it's going to work.

I also have a set of UCRs that I am going to swap in for a suspension along with a adjustable ridgeline whoopie sling that I made with some 2.2 Zing It. I will see how that works out.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    If that net is store bought, won't they replace it with something that is correct?
    At least get your money back? But, I'm in agreement with the others, move your smc rings farther apart for a bit flatter lay. Probably take a bunch of fiddlin' to find your sweet spot. good luck, keep us posted.
    Try the 83% percent thing that knotty suggested (he is a smart guy), measure hammocks total length, subtract 83%, and tie off your new ridgeline at that distance, for starters. See if its something you like, if not keep trying. fiddlin' is fun.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

It helps to measure first, gosh darn it!!

Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    If that net is store bought, won't they replace it with something that is correct?
    At least get your money back? But, I'm in agreement with the others, move your smc rings farther apart for a bit flatter lay. Probably take a bunch of fiddlin' to find your sweet spot. good luck, keep us posted.
    Try the 83% percent thing that knotty suggested (he is a smart guy), measure hammocks total length, subtract 83%, and tie off your new ridgeline at that distance, for starters. See if its something you like, if not keep trying. fiddlin' is fun.
    Actually, Gargoyle, where I got the hammock from that is the only bug net option for my hammock. I think it is going to be returned for a refund.

I did measure out my hammock length including the chain links and the descending rings right to the clove hitches on each side. The initial measurement from what I showed in my video was about 95 inches. So I measure out my total hammock length including the chain links and the rings and get a couple inches past 11 feet. So that sag ratio was at 70%. No wonder it was really comfy. So I moved my rings out to their max length and got a ridgeline of 106" (was designed to be 110" but forgot to account for the amount of rope needed for 2 clove hitches. Doh) So now my sag ratio is about 78.5%. I will see how that goes tomorrow when I can test hang it again. If it comes down to it I will have to redo my whoopie ends on this SLS to allow for a larger max adjustment length.

On a side note, how long is the bug net that Warbonnet makes for their traveller hammock and how hard is it to undo a back splice on a whoopie sling? ;-)

Cheers

Brian
    Last edited by BrianWillan; 04-01-2010 at 18:50.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB
    Tarp
    GG, DIY
    Insulation
    CCF + 40* mummy
    Suspension
    Amsteel UCR
    Images
    Shorter chain links would also make a big difference, you are adding quite a bit of length/height to the total. if you think about it you only really need just s simdge more than enough to throw the clove hitch on the rings, and the larks head on the hammock.

If you cut just 6 inches off each loop (12 inches of line) then you can get your ridge line to 88% (at 106 inches). it would also reduce the height required and I bet your bug net would be close. The closer the rings come to the end of the hammock body the closer you are to an OTB suspension and ridgeline.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Yea, I think the first step, assuming you like the sag you have, would be to shorten the chain links to allow you to use the netting. You also MAY find the hammock more comfortable if you have a longer ridgeline. I say MAY, every one is different. Using your hammock with MY preferred lay, your all in one suspension is not nearly long enough. I think I couldn't even use those trees with my (rather short) hammock, too close together. But that is just me.

I like the key ring thing, did it myself about a week ago. Mine were cheep also, free actually. I haven't tested em fully yet, & hope to never need them, but (I think) they are a great after market safety stopper for the WS.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by phatpenguin View Post
    Shorter chain links would also make a big difference, you are adding quite a bit of length/height to the total. if you think about it you only really need just s simdge more than enough to throw the clove hitch on the rings, and the larks head on the hammock.

If you cut just 6 inches off each loop (12 inches of line) then you can get your ridge line to 88% (at 106 inches). it would also reduce the height required and I bet your bug net would be close. The closer the rings come to the end of the hammock body the closer you are to an OTB suspension and ridgeline.
    I did take some time today to shorten up my chain links. I measured about 4.5" of length from the hammock fabric to the start of the girth hitch on the descending ring. I cut 8" from each one and had to shorten my splice length up as well. On the first go round, I couldn't get the loop over the ring to form the girth hitch on the descending ring. So net result is that I now only have 2" from hammock end to the bottom of the descending ring. I maxed out my adjustment and that really flattened out the lay of the hammock. I was happy with how it felt in the hammock. Much easier to get out of at this ridge line length and chair mode worked too. The back splice preventer on the whoopie sling earned it's keep today.

The bug net was a no go with this fix. It is way too short for the hammock. So it is going back to the store tomorrow.

It was also my luck that I forgot to bring my camera to take pictures of the new setup.

Thanks everyone for the help in getting my hammock and bug net sorted.

Cheers

Brian

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast