Hammock
    Mantis UL
    Tarp
    Mantis Rainfly
    Suspension
    Python 10 UL

Wink Greetings

Howdy all,

I originally became attracted to the idea of hammock backpacking mainly because I have a herniated cervical disc (C6-C7) from a wildland firefighting injury. I decided not to have surgery, which means that my sleeping position must be 'just exactly perfect' or I experience long-term pain. I have tried several inflatable sleeping pads, and I cannot get comfortable on the ground anymore. I also liked the idea that I could choose from more sites to camp vs only flat sites.

I typically research a lot before purchases, but based on an Adventure Alan review, I bought in to the Mantis UL Kickstarter because I was looking for something lightweight for backpacking and I thought that initial price seemed fair. I already had a 30° EE Revelation TQ and picked up a 30° HG Economy Incubator UQ. For my first night's hang, I made several errors that led to a poor night's sleep. I've already been reading threads here to try and get my setup dialed in. I'm 5'9" and 155 lbs and always fall asleep on my left side in a bed.

Regardless of my initial experience, I'm really happy to be a part of this community after lurking for a while. I would really like to eventually meet up in person with others to compare different setups and learn by doing. I'm in Central Colorado, so I've subscribed to the West sub forum. Please send me a PM if you're interested in a safe hang session!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    11' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Beckett and EVOs
    Welcome from North Carolina! I'm new myself, so like yourself I'm finding a wealth of information here and am trying to read IT ALL!

Hammock
    Mantis UL
    Tarp
    Mantis Rainfly
    Suspension
    Python 10 UL
    For all of you following my journey at home I took delivery of an SLD 'Starter' hammock this week (11'x61" in the Black Nylon Ripstop 1.3 oz) in order to try and figure out what I need. I doubt that any of my observations compared to the Mantis UL will be a surprise, but here goes:

• Much less shoulder squeeze (still more than I'd like on the one side)
    • Flatter lay (almost no knee hyper-extension)

It came with an adjustable RL which I set to the recommended starting point (108"). Would altering it perhaps address either the slight shoulder squeeze or knee hyper-extension? I have fairly broad shoulders and feel like I have to move them over to the very edge of the fabric. I also don't like how it compresses my TQ on the opposite side. Should I try a 12' or go wider perhaps?

In very welcome news, my wife tried the Mantis, and loved it so much that she asked me to rig up another set of hooks!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ- HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Welcome from PA.

Hammock
    Mantis UL
    Tarp
    Mantis Rainfly
    Suspension
    Python 10 UL
    Thanks. We used to live in PA and most of my wife's family is still there. My son just moved back to go to school. Lots of beautiful places to hammock camp in Central PA for sure.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Greetings from NJ.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• + New Posts