Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY 11.5'er

The Shadiest Tarp Company

Heh heh, now that I've got your attention. Was wondering what material and or color makes the most opaque tarp. I searched the forums and the only thing that came up was one guy who had a dyneema fabric with a reflective space blanket style outer. It was an old post and I couldn't find the material. Also it sounded a touch expensive (as dyneema fabrics often are).

I'm no weight weenie, but would prefer not to carry a waxed canvas tarp. Maybe just the darkest of the standard tarp materials.

I'm surprised it's not a selling point for tarps, does no one like to sleep in past daybreak? Or instantly lobster at the suggestion of a photon?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    It's subjective/relative/whatever, but I find the .67oz DCF camo to be much darker than standard .51 DCF, which is highly translucent.

Most, if not all, of the very lightweight materials (7D, .9 sil and the like) don't block light well even if their thread color is black or dark brown.

However, I've seen an inexpensive—and comparatively heavy—black Chill Gorilla tarp and it was pretty dark under there.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Try waxed canvas for ultimate sun blockage. Alternative to that there is an opaque .51 DSM 12' with doors tarp available for $110.00 from this friend of a friend of a guy I know down by the warehouse district near the train tracks. Cash only.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Welcome to the forum. I’m wondering why you are looking for the most opaque tarp? When I got started and was selecting a tarp, I figured I wanted it dark so it would dry more quickly in the sun. A vendor pointed out that often times the fabric itself (silpoly vs silnylon) contributes more to that feature (silpoly doesn’t hold as much water to begin with). He also pointed out that if he needed to spend a day under the tarp on a rainy day, it was he preferred it to be brighter and cheery.

If you are concerned about privacy issues, if you position yourself behind the hammock so an outsider’s vision path would need to be through the tarp, then the hammock, you would be well covered.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5'er
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Welcome to the forum. I’m wondering why you are looking for the most opaque tarp?
    It's strictly aversion to the day star. I don't want to wake up the instant it's light out. And with some of the more translucent options It's possible to sun burn through them while taking a nap.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    To be serious this time. If light blocking is a priority, the you will probably not be going DSM. Even the Camo versions do allow more light through than a darker color Nylon or sil-nylon. I would also think you would want something with doors, or at leas some end cover. For example, the Warbonnet: Superfly 570g, Mountainfly 510g, or Thunderfly in Dark Green, Brown, Grey, or Camo.

Or for low weight, Dutchware gear's Ultralight Xenon Winter Tarp in black. 430g.

Other than that make a spreadsheet and start recording tarps, weights, colors and options, etc.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5'er
    Spreadsheet's a good idea. Maybe I can get Dutch and RSbtR to send me swatches and I can set them over my eyes pirate style and see what I figure out.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    If it's just the photons that offend you, not the heat, you only need to protect your eyes to sleep late. Drape something light and breathable over your face, like a bandana.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    If it's just the photons that offend you, not the heat, you only need to protect your eyes to sleep late. Drape something light and breathable over your face, like a bandana.
    +1 ... I have a fleece beanie that I pull down over my eyes on those super-bright moonlit nights. Or the bill of a baseball cap when it's warm. Could also carry a sleeping mask.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

The Shadiest Tarp Company

I have often wondered the same thing as the OP.

Found these: https://www.2gosystems.com/collectio...21416847048788

Have not bought one yet so not sure if they are any good, I have one of the Bivvies from the same company and it’s great, no affiliation just a happy customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast