Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need the pros

Need the pros

Ok guys I’ve owned hammocks in the past I’ve don’t a lot of day lounging in them but for some reason I cannot get comfortable enough to sleep over nite in one. I’ve done a lot of reading on the subject, I purchased the book the ultimate hang also downloaded the app to try and help my setup. I have done several adjustments as far as ridge line length, head or foot end lowering/raising and I have found some of the adjustments have made a big difference and I feel very comfy if the hammock and I can fall asleep in it no problem but I can’t stay asleep. I’m a side sleeper and I do toss and turn a lot. Maybe I’m just not going to be able to camp in a hammock but I thought I would join here and throw out a mayday before I give up on the idea. I have 2 different hammocks the first one that I had for a long time is an amazon no namer that I know was too short but didn’t bother me for just an afternoon of lounging. The second one is also from amazon most likely a no namer for you guys but it is made by sunyear it’s 118” long and 78” wide also has a bugnet built in. I think one of the issues might be that it’s too wide. It cocoons me while I lay in it. Does anyone think a different hammock would make a difference or would it be a waste of money. Thanks in advance.

I to am a side sleeper and interested in how you solve the problem. Here is a picture of my setup

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Images
    I don't sleep well in a hammock either. However, the net benefit for backpacking means i take the hammock anyway. The alternative is worse. I really need to be on my side for airways to work best, so i don't get deep sleep in the hammock. I do get amazing back rest, though. I can spring out of the hammock and hit the trail without the "crack.. ooh... aah..." routine of putting my body back together in the morning. Sleeping on the ground numbs my shoulders and puts my spine into a bad way.

I'm not going to sleep that well anywhere, so i choose the most *restful* option, the hammock.

Hammocks also have other benefits not immediately realized:
    - You always have somewhere to sit.
    - You never have to pack up your tent in the mud.
    - You hover comfortably out of the way of ground critters including spiders, ticks, and slugs.
    - You can put up and take down in the rain from under cover of your (separate) tarp.
    - You always have a view.
    - You don't need a perfectly flat spot.
    - Makes you feel like one of the cool kids.
    - and so on

Your 78" hammock is extremely wide. Your feelings of being cocooned are justified. Most hammocks are in the 60" range.

If you want one more cheap option, try making yourself a "tablecloth hammock" - This is a <$20 DIY project and easy to do, no sewing required. Or go to the fabric store and get some off-the-shelf ripstop nylon and make your own whipped hammock (also very easy). When you whip your own hammock, you can adjust it however you want to suite your own tastes. Then you will know if you can make hammocking work or not.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I started with an ENO doublenest

Next 11x5 a big improvement

Next a 12x6 a bigger improvement, greater comfort, larger sweet spot, little or no CRP Calf Ridge Pressure.
    Single layer gathered end hammock with no bugnet. There are knotty mods to reduce loose fabric.
    I use a Fronkey style bugnet in summer. Used HexonWide 1.6 fabric

12x6 is not for everybody, will need a longer tarp and a larger pack. Something to consider if you are a backpacking camper!

Before spending money, maybe go to a local hammock hang and see if you can get permission to get in different hammocks4 a test flight.

Quote Originally Posted by PBThompson View Post
    I to am a side sleeper and interested in how you solve the problem. Here is a picture of my setup

I will keep you updated hopefully we can both figure this out, I’m not ready to give it up but after kayaking all day and not being able to get a good nites sleep is tough.

Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    I don't sleep well in a hammock either. However, the net benefit for backpacking means i take the hammock anyway. The alternative is worse. I really need to be on my side for airways to work best, so i don't get deep sleep in the hammock. I do get amazing back rest, though. I can spring out of the hammock and hit the trail without the "crack.. ooh... aah..." routine of putting my body back together in the morning. Sleeping on the ground numbs my shoulders and puts my spine into a bad way. Thanks for the input, I will look into the suggestion if I can find anywhere that has ripstop locally. That might be tough!

I'm not going to sleep that well anywhere, so i choose the most *restful* option, the hammock.

Hammocks also have other benefits not immediately realized:
    - You always have somewhere to sit.
    - You never have to pack up your tent in the mud.
    - You hover comfortably out of the way of ground critters including spiders, ticks, and slugs.
    - You can put up and take down in the rain from under cover of your (separate) tarp.
    - You always have a view.
    - You don't need a perfectly flat spot.
    - Makes you feel like one of the cool kids.
    - and so on

Your 78" hammock is extremely wide. Your feelings of being cocooned are justified. Most hammocks are in the 60" range.

If you want one more cheap option, try making yourself a "tablecloth hammock" - This is a <$20 DIY project and easy to do, no sewing required. Or go to the fabric store and get some off-the-shelf ripstop nylon and make your own whipped hammock (also very easy). When you whip your own hammock, you can adjust it however you want to suite your own tastes. Then you will know if you can make hammocking work or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    I started with an ENO doublenest

Next 11x5 a big improvement

Next a 12x6 a bigger improvement, greater comfort, larger sweet spot, little or no CRP Calf Ridge Pressure.
    Single layer gathered end hammock with no bugnet. There are knotty mods to reduce loose fabric.
    I use a Fronkey style bugnet in summer. Used HexonWide 1.6 fabric

12x6 is not for everybody, will need a longer tarp and a larger pack. Something to consider if you are a backpacking camper!

Before spending money, maybe go to a local hammock hang and see if you can get permission to get in different hammocks4 a test flight.
    I was looking at the 11 and 12 footer from Dutch. Also the warbonette blackbird. In my mind more length and less width would be an advantage and size isn’t really a big deal to me and I have a 13’ tarp so I should be good there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tdb20 View Post
    I will keep you updated hopefully we can both figure this out, I’m not ready to give it up but after kayaking all day and not being able to get a good nites sleep is tough.
    Yeah i have been trying to master this but after 3 hrs of sleep over 2 days i get cranky and my hiking parters get frustrated with me.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Could be the hammocks from what I read.
    Hiking usually helps with sleep for sure.
    I'll offer up my side sleeping video for some insight.
    Good luck you ya'.....
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by PBThompson View Post
    Yeah i have been trying to master this but after 3 hrs of sleep over 2 days i get cranky and my hiking parters get frustrated with me.

Lol that’s no joke!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast