Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware/Beetle

New quilt set – Help me choose

I am looking at getting a new set of quilts and am having a hard time choosing who to go with. I already have a set of HG quilts, so I want to try something different. Right now, I am torn between UGQ and Enlightened Equipment lines. What are the real differences between the bottom quilts? There are some differences in the description, but since I can't get my hands on them it is hard to tell what is really different. For those of you that have experience with both companies what would you recommend. If it helps compare them to the HG line. Assume that I would be using 850 fill and the 10D fabrics, as I am not sold on the viability/durability of 7D for long term use yet.

As far as price and weight go as far as I can tell there really isn’t much difference, if with similar Specs.

I am more interested in quality and performance. If it matters, I use a chameleon hammock and am thinking about adding a dream hammock raven to my arsenal.

Thanks

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Between the two, I would probably go with UGQ. They are quite a bit cheaper and a little lighter than EE (all things equal). UGQ also offers more customization with their sizing/fabrics. Lastly, I like that UGQ lists the fill weight for each temp rating/length of quilt. I could not find that information on EE's website. If I'm investing a lot of money into a quilt set, I like to know how much down I'm actually getting in my quilts. I know EE makes good quilts, but UGQ is a hammock-specific company. Their quilts are highly-praised among the community here, and their craftsmanship is superb (I don't own one, but I've seen a few up close in person).

Images
    There may not be a lot of folks here that have experience with the current underquilt offerings from EE. They fairly recently changed the design of the Revolt from having karo step baffles, to more typical longitudinal baffles. They also added the new Uprising, which seems to have riffed the leg shelf from HG, though in this case they are only half-filling that section with down. It's not an exact copy of the HG models though, because the Uprising is tapered from head to foot.

That being said, they're all going to function similarly. I have an Incubator and a Phoenix from HG as well as a Zeppelin from UGQ. The Zeppelin doesn't have the leg shelf that the HG quilts have, but I can't honestly say that I've ever noticed a difference in effectiveness. I do not own any underquilts from EE. I do own a 40° Enigma TQ from EE, and it's pretty flawless in my opinion. I also have owned 2 HG Burrows and can't fault them either. One thing I'm not crazy about on the UGQ Bandit TQ is the cinch cords at the corners of the head end. I don't like having 2 cords to manage, and I don't like having them underneath me. I prefer the top-center cinch that the EE and HG topquilts have.

So in short, I don't think you can go wrong. I have stuff from all the companies you mentioned and they all work very well. It just come down to minor differences.

(would have been easier if you were interested in 7D. Then it's EE all the way - though I wish they'd offer more then 3 colors, one of which is "salmon")
    Last edited by cmc4free; 10-12-2020 at 12:01.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I'll give a shout out for Jacks r Better. When I switched over kits this summer, my 40 degree Sierra Sniveler was practically the only piece of existing gear that made the cut from my old LW kit to UL. I've never been cold from the top down
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I picked up a UGQ TQ from the For Sale forum and it is really warm. In fairness to HG, the UGQ has a sewn shut footbox while HG’s is “draw string” (bungee) as per my option.

If I needed a new quilt, I wouldn’t hesitate to get another UGO. That doesn’t take anything away from Hammock Gear, I only own six of their quilts (TQ/UQ, 0, 20, 40 degrees). They all work fine.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I picked up a UGQ TQ from the For Sale forum and it is really warm. In fairness to HG, the UGQ has a sewn shut footbox while HG’s is “draw string” (bungee) as per my option.

If I needed a new quilt, I wouldn’t hesitate to get another UGO. That doesn’t take anything away from Hammock Gear, I only own six of their quilts (TQ/UQ, 0, 20, 40 degrees). They all work fine.
    Both vendors have both those options for footbox - sewn or drawsting.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC, DWG Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly, HG DCF
    Insulation
    Katabatic TQ,HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    There may not be a lot of folks here that have experience with the current underquilt offerings from EE. They fairly recently changed the design of the Revolt from having karo step baffles, to more typical longitudinal baffles. They also added the new Uprising, which seems to have riffed the leg shelf from HG, though in this case they are only half-filling that section with down. It's not an exact copy of the HG models though, because the Uprising is tapered from head to foot.
    I have the older revolt, and definitely like my HG Underquilts much more in terms of how it fits my chameleon and just overall seems to be less finicky than the EE, but I'd be interested if anybody has experience with the new line of EE as well. In terms of top quilt, the best purchase I ever made was my Katabatic Gear top quilt with sewn foot box. It is pure luxury, but at a cost. I have the Katabatic Alsek 22 and have had it down to 12 degrees and was still perfectly toasty as they are known to be conservative. I have the Wide 6' with 900 Hyperdry and it comes in at 678g or 23.91oz on my scale.

One other company I've been intrigued about lately is Mochilera Gear for their UQs due to the customization options on sizing. For me, I have 6 UQs, and the sizing seems to play such a pivotal role in my like/dislike of the UQ depending on where it falls on my feet, how it stays on my shoulder, etc.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware/Beetle
    I am leaning towards the UGQ quilts, just wanted to know about the EE ones since most people on the other forums praise their quilts so much.

Cmc5free – I have had bags with both type of closures and find them equally annoying, so it doesn’t make much difference to me. As far as the 7D fabrics go they haven’t been out long enough without enough feedback for me to get a feeling for its durability on frictional surface points, such as the inner layer of a TQ or the part of the UQ that touches the hammock, much less the down jackets that are using the material. The real world info will delayed till the end of the 2021 possibly 2022 backpacking season’s due to the virus and how long these shutdowns remain in effect. Other than that I want to know how the wind resistance is on the 7D fabric based on real world performance, instead of the lab testing on the EE website.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3Punk View Post
    I have the older revolt, and definitely like my HG Underquilts much more in terms of how it fits my chameleon and just overall seems to be less finicky than the EE, but I'd be interested if anybody has experience with the new line of EE as well. In terms of top quilt, the best purchase I ever made was my Katabatic Gear top quilt with sewn foot box. It is pure luxury, but at a cost. I have the Katabatic Alsek 22 and have had it down to 12 degrees and was still perfectly toasty as they are known to be conservative. I have the Wide 6' with 900 Hyperdry and it comes in at 678g or 23.91oz on my scale.

One other company I've been intrigued about lately is Mochilera Gear for their UQs due to the customization options on sizing. For me, I have 6 UQs, and the sizing seems to play such a pivotal role in my like/dislike of the UQ depending on where it falls on my feet, how it stays on my shoulder, etc.
    Thanks for the info on the EE underquilt fit, I had heard this about the old style, but haven’t heard anything about the newer ones.

Hammock
    Kammok Roo xl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mamajamb
    Insulation
    Ugq 0 degree
    Suspension
    Slapstraps
    I have 4 winters on a UGQ Zeppelin 0 degree. Pretty regular use 6 months of the year. Showing no real signs if wear including the suspension not being all stretched out. That said, I am pretty fanatical about taking care of my gear, but I can give this piece my highest recommendation and if I lost it I would replace it with the same one. BizzyBee

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast