DIY GE 12’ Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    CDT Gemini DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopi slings
    Images

Combine an Under Quilt Protector and Lazy Slug?

As rain from the remnants of a tropic storm falls for yet another day, I'm thinking about hanging in the rain. I've recently made CDT under quilts and top quilts, and I want to protect that Downy goodness when its wet. So I think I need an under quilt protector.

But I also like the idea of a lazy slug / or catch all sack to stuff the hammock, netting, and quilts for quick deployment and packing. Or maybe a winter sock that could also be used to quickly compress everything.

I wonder if these 2 things could be combined? Here’s what I’m thinking ...

An (almost) full length under quilt protector with shock cords & locks on the UQP ends in fabric channels.

Maybe Velcro or a zipper stitched along the sides, but probably not along the edges of the UQ protector as that would make the slug sack be too loose, right? But maybe a zipper stitched closer toward the bottom of the UQ protector so that when you pull the 2 zipper sides together you get a target width of 20in or so. I’m also wondering if the zipper sides would work better offset from the center axis so that the zipper, when closed, the far side of the UQP pulls over the structural ridge line and connects into the near side zipper a few inches down from the ridgeline. Here's a (very poor) graphic on what I'm thinking.

slugUQP

Any one tried this? Pros / cons of something like this? How might you improve the idea?

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 XL
    Tarp
    WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dyneema/MSH
    Funny, I have been pondering this exact same thing for a while now. I have a DIY slug tube and I love how much easier (lazy) it makes deployment. My current tube has shock cord at both ends but I had thought about adding a zipper the entire length and when unzipped it would already be in place as the UQP. My only concern is that my tube is made from sil nylon and may not breath that well. I'm not sure it would be a major concern if it hangs loose enough.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 XL
    Tarp
    WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dyneema/MSH
    Just a quick update on this topic. I ended up adding a few lightweight kam snaps to my UQP to make it serve as both an UQP and also a variation on the slug tube. So far I'm happy with the results. The kam snaps added almost no weight and did not impair the functionality of the UQP and I was able to remove my old Slug tube to save weight. As a bonus I am able to implement a kind of half sock/top cover by utilizing the existing snaps on the UQP and an extra piece of .66 membrane when needed.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    You’re talking about my dream UQ/P setup. I tried to talk SLD Jared into making the insulation on the asym trail winder snap on to the protector so that I could attach or stack different insulation based on my needs. He said economically it didn’t make sense since the cost to do that is too close to having seperate items.

Still, I like the idea of easily adding insulation to my standard equipment when needed and removing it when not n

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 XL
    Tarp
    WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dyneema/MSH
    This is the first time I have worked with KAM snaps but I see a lot of potential for their use is DIY hammock systems. They're very lightweight and easy to apply and don't really compromise the original fabric to any great degree. I also plan to use it to snap my bug net in place on my hammock. My DIY hammock is extra wide and so the shallow fronky style net can be just snapped in a couple of key areas.

Hammock
    DIY GE 12’ Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    CDT Gemini DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopi slings
    Images
    How many snaps did you use? I was thinking about stitching in a line of Velcro, but I have lots of kam snaps and it would be easier than sewing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 XL
    Tarp
    WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dyneema/MSH
    Right now I have about 9. My hammock is 11.5'. I just started with one on each end and one in the middle then divided the hammock into 1/8's. I can add more if necessary but the 9 seem to be holding everything just fine. In addition the areas between the snaps allow air to escape while folding and stuffing into my pack.

Hammock
    DIY 11.5 XL
    Tarp
    WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dyneema/MSH
    I've never really been a top cover user and want to avoid condensation but I did have a scrap piece of membrane fabric that i was able to make a half top cover which can use some of the existing snaps on the UQP to stay in place. I'm thinking it may provide some dew/fog protection for my top quilt as well as stop some wind from the top side as well. We will see.

• + New Posts