Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ridgerunner and winter tarps

Curiosity is getting me interested in the WBRR. I can’t see how they’d work in tandem with tarps w/doors, since the single suspension line is replaced with a pair from the bridged ends. Does this eliminate the possibility of closing the ends altogether?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Let’s call the point where the to lines from the spreader bars come together as the apex point or apex connector. Different vendors' (WarBonnet, JustBill, etc.) designs suggest different distances between those apex points. For example, WB suggests 13 ft between the connectors. That said, the police won’t knock on your door if you are comfortable with a different distance. One friend prefers a 12 ft separation. As an aside, the hang angle can also be shallower than a GE - towards 25 degrees.

Though those lines are far apart at the hammock spreader bar, they are much closer as they approach the apex point. As such, even if you have an 11 ft tarp with doors, it’s only the top area of the door that may not close. And that can be a feature, not a bug, because it could provide ventilation to minimize condensation.

Also, several vendors have a 13 ft option for their tarp sizes. And if you let them know it’s for a RR, they’ll set any panel pull-outs at a location were the spreader bars would be if the tarp were centered on the bridge.

So it would be more accurate to say an 11 or 12 ft tarp prevents completely closing the ends together - but only by a little bit.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Chameleon/TE Happy Medium/SG
    Tarp
    Thunderfly/UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG / LL
    Suspension
    Becket
    Images
    I've got a 12' Winter Haven from Simply Light Designs that I use with my Ridgerunner. The RR has been modified to eliminate the buckle and continuous loop that is part of the Warbonnet suspension. I just hang the dogbones directly to my Dutchware beetle buckles. Probably shortens the overall suspension length by 6-8 inches.

I did get snaps on the doors of the Winter Haven which allow me to tighten up the door closure. The doors won't completely close, but as courgarmeat says, it's good to have some airflow even in winter.
    RR - SLD WH.jpgRR - SLD WH dogbones.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    13ft Winter Dream from UGQ. Fits the whole hammock!
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

As usual, my questions have been answered! Thanks for the input, especially the photos. I have been intrigued with the RR for awhile, and I may have to give it a go once I’ve got a winter fly for my current setup! I suppose the only remaining concern would be that the rubbing of the doors and the suspension might weaken the waterproofing a bit, but that seems of minimal importance there at the end of the fabric.

Yep, I have the UGQ Winterdream 13' with doors and it closes just fine. I'd post a pic but I need to find it first lol
    Into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul

IMG_1966.jpgIMG_1966.jpg

We'll see if the attachment worked but if it did you can see the Whoopie sling attaches to the dogbones inside the door.
    Into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    I have a 12' MacCat Ultra with doors and it closes fine with my RR with no rubbing. 13' would just give you more storm coverage on the ends. My buddy goofed and bought an 11' Warbonnet Superfly and its just too short..his doors won't close properly and he gets some rubbing from his RR. He's stuck because everyone is sold out of EVERYTHING!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

Ridgerunner and winter tarps

I have a RR and a Thunderfly tarp. I have been pitching it with the ridge line under the tarp. It has worked fine but after coming across a few photos of the ridge line above the tarp, I am wondering if there are any advantages to doing it that way? I'd be interested in your thoughts.
    "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    schris6849, if everything is sold out, your friend might have no problem selling that 11 ft Superfly in the Forum and then buying the length he/she wants, albiet having to wait a bit for delivery.

TrailBlazer, the reason the ridgeline is run above the tarp is when it is under, it can create a highway for water to run down the that ridgeline and drip, drip, drip on your hammock. That can be stopped by working water breaks - like cotton shoestring - on each side of the tarp ridgeline before the hammock ends. Also, if it is windy, there’s a concern that the ridgeline of the tarp will rub on the tarp suspension line causing wear, especially on any seam seal. Now that may or maynot be a real issue because hanging just a little weight on that ridgeline would pull it down and minimize contact.

In the winter the situation is a little different. Around here, if anything comes out of the sky, it is usually snow, not rain. So water running down the tarp ridgeline isn’t an issue but snow building up on the tarp, or dropping from a tree branch, is. In those conditions one might run the ridgeline under the tarp.

There is another occasional issue. A few tarps are made so there is a catenary curve built into the ridgeline. That design wants the ends to curve up a bit. As such, it expects the tarp to hang under the ridgeline.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 10-18-2020 at 17:21.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast