Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Might list what camping gear you already have. For example, though an underquilt (UQ) is the preferred “best comfort” option, many have gotten started using their camping pad, albeit in a double Layer hammock.

Though many use a top quilt (TQ), if you have a sleeping bag you can unzip it about 2 ft from the end (leaving a footbox) and drape it over yourself, tuck it in, like a top quilt.

A big choice is to get a gathered end hammock or a bridge hammock. The bridge hammock uses spreader bars at the ends and has a definite following. Unfortunately, unless you live somewhere near a hammock gathering, it’s a bit of an investment to try out these options. If you have an REI store nearby, they do carry a bridge you could try out in the store or maybe at home.

Hammock gear is like any other gear - if you are new, what you use your first year will probably not be what you end up with once you have some TIH (time in hammock) under your back. Keeping that in mind takes the pressure of finding “the best”. You’ll want to find something with enough quality to give it fair trial and when you are ready to try something else, you can sell the quality gear in this forum or save it as a spare for a friend or if you are going somewhere (like out of the country) where you don’t want to take your best gear.

If fact, instead of buying new, you might find a good kit at a great price in the For Sale area. Problem is, without personal experience, it would be difficult to judge. Hammocks have different “feels” - depending upon fabric and cut.

I got started with a Hennessy Explorer (classic bottom entry) with a 20% REI discount. Still have it. I've heard that sometimes people have more than one hammock. Some stop at single digits; some don’t
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Get gathered end hammock at least 11x5
    Consider a hammock 12x6 for your comfort:
    Larger sweet spot, and less likely for CRP to be a problem
    CRP happens...hahaha...Calf Ridge Pressure

Get a single layer with good fabric...your vendors can give great advice on fabrics and all things hammock.

Insulation is important to prevent CBS...Cold Butt Syndrome,
    Shug has videos on YouTube, watch his ten part series: How to hang a hammock, insulation, tarps, CRP prevention, suspensions, and tarp rigging!

Possiboy you might get to a local hammock hang, to see all kinds of hammocks and hammock related gear!

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    LL-40/HG 0
    Suspension
    Becket hitch!
    If it is all overwhelming, like it can be to a newbie, see if you can find a hammock hang happening in your area, may be hard to do with all the COVID. But there you can not only talk to enthusiast but you can also get a chance to see and touch and maybe even lay in a few to begin with.

Honestly for newbies I suggest the Warbonnet BlackBird XLC, it is a modular system so it is easy to order add ons when you become more familiar with the whole hammock world. You can order a suspension system right along with it, they have videos on how to setup and such, although there are thousands of videos on youtube, and SHUGs beginner hammock camping video series was a blessing for me when I was new. Also if you get to the point were you want to go to a different hammock the WBBB XLC has a decent resale value. I put off ordering for the longest time and finally gave in and it is a really comfy hammock, I am 5ft6, 230lbs, and a side sleeper.

I love my Dream Hammock Sparrow but that is a high end $ hammock.

If you are a side sleeper and are thinking about getting a TopQuilt (TQ) go with as wide as possible. I am a frozen sleeper and am a winter camper so I have the -40 quilts from Loco Libre.
    To only step where others have stepped means not to have your own adventures. Live, Love, and Adventure so you may leave your own foot prints!

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon or DIY Robic XL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    If you're not in a hurry, Hang on 2021 will be here in January:
    85 Myers Rd, Brooksville, FL 34602
    Search the forums for additional details.
    It's a great way to see a variety of hammocks, ask questions, and learn a lot.

Between the trees and above the ground.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly.
    Insulation
    Yeti / Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps and rings
    Images
    The Simply Light Designs (SLD) Trail Lair hammock is a very solid consideration as well. Jared has been excellent to buy from and is fast. Spooky fast. I make no claim that this is the right one for you but submit it as an option. Decently priced as well.
    I thought I was wrong once, turns out I was wrong about that.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I have an Envy-S - company no longer in business and it is a lot like a Trail Lair in that it has a built in bug net and what you might call a wind or privacy screen. I can use it completely open, just the bug net or just the wind screen or both. Very versatile. So I’m guessing the Trail Lair would be the same. For me, it extends the comfort zones. I can deal with more wind without have to consider a “papa bear” tarp. The nylon wind barrier also cuts out street lights when outside at home.

There is no “best”. You just have to start.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Super Fly Silpoly
    Insulation
    JRB top and bottom
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Like others have said there are a few factors to consider but yes, definitely go with one of the cottage vendors. I can vouch for Warbonnet and Dutch as far as hammocks go. Warbonnet will likely have a great holiday sale on hammocks coming up so look out for that. There are a few other excellent cottage vendors out there. I try to do business with all of them if I can for various hammock gear. Additionally, Shug's videos have proven invaluable in the process, highly recommend.

Hammock
    Homemade netless
    Tarp
    16ft kelty
    Suspension
    Whoopies/daisy
    Assuming you're not ultra light-
    Double layer, 11ft, netless hammock, with fronkey bugnet
    Double layer hammock- to stop biting insects
    11ft long is standard for sleeping in
    I like a removable bugnet, and I dont like messing with zippers, or waking my wife up in the night when I get in and out of my hammock... so I really like the fronkey style bugnet.
    For suspension, whooping slings with carabiners and daisy chain tree straps is super quick, easy, and the most leeway, but not super light.
    Tarp size is whatever you want. I like my kelty 16ft, but that's a lot bigger than most people use.
    Theres little hardware bits and Bob's you can get to save time or what not, dutch clips, wasps, etc I don't really use them, but lots do and they help.
    Oh, and I dont have one, but the synthetic trail winder underquilt looks pretty sweet. I deal with a lot of moisture, so I prefer synthetic, though down is lighter and more compactable.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    I have the SLD Trail Lair and Trail Winder, and vouch for both. Price is reasonable, Jared is faster than seems entirely possible (I suspect gnomes), and quality is high. The Trail Winder is the easiest-to-use underquilt I’ve ever seen — I adjusted it exactly once, and haven’t had to change it since. I do have a netless with Fronkey net, and I like it a lot, but it gets a little complicated once I have an UQ, or especially add a protector. Also, you don’t have the option for a winter cover, though you can get a winter sock instead of the net if it’s cold enough. I like just zipping in the panel on the Trail Lair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't recommend Dream Hammock enough for a first hammock. When I was just getting into hammocking, they asked all the right questions, & made me something with the most comfortable lay I've personally ever experienced. Randy & Deanna are also kind to boot.

Another rec I would have is for your first setup, particularly in suspension, keep it simple simple simple. To many hammockers, the setup can be a bit of an expression of their personality. For example, some may forego hardware for the minimalism of a favorite knot, & the joy it brings them to setup that way. This kind of personalization is one of my favorite parts of hammocking, but I don't recommend it for a first setup. I personally think versatility & ease of setup should be a very high priority for a first system, as it will allow you to get to hanging faster without frustration, & allow you to experience your local environment before you further specialize your setup.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast