Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner

12' or 13' wide tarp??

Does anyone make an extra wide (12' to 13') winter tarp or would it be something so big I would have to have custom made? Seems 10' wide seems to be the standard max.
    I'm pretty tall and would love a tarp like my Superfly that had extra width so I could get it up taller and have bigger coverage when it's in porch mode. I'm not worried about the extra weight...

Any ideas to purchase or recommendations on who could build something that big??

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    yes those↑ are the standard extra wide without having one custom made

it's not really necessary to go wider just because you're tall, you just hang it higher

some people think it needs to reach the ground in the winter, but, unlike a tent, you don't have to care if rain or snow gets in underneath, you're in a hammock up in the air, not on the ground.

In winter, what ends up happening is it snows, then the weight of the snow causes the entire tarp to sag down and the snow slides off the top and traps the "skirt" of the tarp at which point the tarp cannot lift up back to the normal height because the bottom is trapped in the snow.

instead what you want is for the snow to slide off and build up a berm under the skirt of your tarp. then you can use your snow shovel or snowshoes to carve a vertical wall on the inside, or if there's already snow on the ground when you get there, you can build your own berm to block any wind.

as long as you pitch your doors out to a point instead of overlapping them (some tarps are designed specifically to be pitched this way, the ones that aren't might cost you some standing room beside your hammock), then most of the wind and snow blows around your tarp instead of underneath. I've posted photos showing the bare ground under my tarp after a snowstorm to show how effective this is.

what you definitely do NOT want when you close your doors, is for the doors to be sloped inwards underneath your hammock which then directs any wind beneath your hammock and across your underquilt which saps heat away. by rigging your doors out to a point most of the wind gets redirected around like the bow of a boat, even if the gap under the tarp is enough to stoop under.

the attached photo is not the one that I was thinking of but it clearly shows that my tarp does not reach the ground nor even come close. it is however lower than I would have it in the summer.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Images
    How much wider can you get even in a custom (without having a seam across each side, that is)?

74" usable width is the widest sil fabric I know of and after making the ridge seam, you could only get a couple inches wider than Dutch's. Actually, his Xenon Wide is that 74" fabric and that's what the tarps linked above are made from. RSBTR has a 70" usable width silpoly.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    It's funny because I thought I searched all over and had seen every stock tarp there is...I don't know how I missed the Dutchware wide

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    So the Dutch Two person is a square cut with no doors and the Wide model is a hex cut with doors, correct? Tough decision....

Images
    Dutchware also has Wide Hex without doors, and Wide Rectangle.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Thanks, I'll look...I didn't see those for some reason

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Thanks! Now, which to choose.... LoL

• + New Posts