Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    In my ground pounding years, I always just expected to sacrifice the first couple nights sleep going from bed to pad.

When I decided to make the jump up to hammocks I noticed immediately the same problem. Comfortable, warm, dry, but I couldn't do more than nap, and generally gave up after trying to turn on to one or both sides. I was convinced that I just don't sleep on my back.

I couldn't do much to find a solution to the problem in my GP days. Sleeping on a perfectly flat floor is not the same as a forest floor.

Realizing I had an out, I hung my hammock in a extra bedroom and began lounging in it, then napping, then sleeping the night through. Now where ever I hit he trail, my bed essentially comes with me. I no longer lose sleep acclimating for the first couple nights. I am home for all that sleep matters.

Now I fall asleep on my back and do most my night that way. When I do wake up I roll to one side and doze a while, then to the other for a bit, then I know I'm ready to wake up and make coffee. 4-6 hrs mostly, but 8 to even 12 hrs on occasion. I may even sleep better in the woods now than at home.
    Last edited by Rolloff; 10-21-2020 at 12:12.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    ... I may even sleep better in the woods now than at home.
    I definitely slept better in hammocks (a bridge hammock, then a diy gathered end, then a Warbonnet Blackbird) in the woods while on my PCT thru hike in '15. Miss those days on trail.
    I have periods where I can sleep in my DIY hammock at home and times when I can only fall asleep in a bed because the bed lets me separate my feet.

Going to try the hammock tonight again.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak4water View Post
    I .... the bed lets me separate my feet.

Going to try the hammock tonight again.
    I can't stand having my feet together annoying each other. There are ways of dealing if you can't find a natural separation by spreading your legs by either putting something between you feet; using a pillow under your legs; using an inflatable pad; or using a 90 degree hammock or bridge hammock.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    I used to think that lay direction preferences, and ability to side-sleep in a GE, facing inward or outward, were semi-fixed attributes like right or left handedness. In my 8th year of every-night hammock sleeping, I now believe that ALL OF THIS is a matter of habituation. Just because something feels all wrong the first 12 times you try it doesn’t mean it won’t feel exactly right the 50th time. Just keep mixing it up, exploring this endlessly variable 3D sleeping space, and the comfortable possibilities keep growing.
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    As a nightly ambidextrous hanger that shifts positions through out the night I think Latherdome's observations are spot on.

Hammock
    1.2 MTN
    Tarp
    12' DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Kevlar strap
    I am the same.... upside right, right side down, head whichever way, I like them all.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I used to think I didn’t sleep as well in a hammock. I always felt like I was waking up to roll over or readjust. Then I got a new running watch that also tracks your sleep. Turns out, I toss and roll in bed a lot too, I just notice it more in a hammock, and when I actually compare my sleep cycles I get more quality sleep in my hammock.

So I’ll have to agree with what a few others have said: the novelty of sleeping in a hammock causes you to notice more and makes you think you’re not getting as good a sleep, when you may have simply habitualized yourself to how poor your sleep quality in a bed is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I roll around frequently; in my hammock and in a bed.

I never found it to be an issue in the hammock; I use a puffy Bakker up as a pillow and I can always adjust how much of it I use for a comfy spot

i find im a somewhat-side sleeper and i generally sleep on the left side (heart down, which is naturally the best position) though sometimes right side. In a bed I get support with a pillow so im not fully on the side and it allows my back to stay somewhat straight. It's almost belly sleeping but also not really. I assume some other people sleep like this and call it side sleeping.

In a hammock while camping i can't do that because you'd need a very large pillow, to large to carry . I can go fully sideway just fine though. Because of that I end up sleeping mostly on my back and it works fine, but can take a night or two to get used to it again (or be very tired!).

If you're like me, you might not end up being able to really side sleep I guess ;-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234