Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Side sleeper in bed as well. When I first started hammock camping, I realized side sleeping wasn't very comfortable for me in a simple, gathered end hammock. I couldn't get comfortable until the second night of a camping trip.

Then I suffered a back injury. I could not sleep at all in my bed, so I hung a hammock in my office. I learned to sleep on my back, and after about three months of sleeping in that hammock, my back finally healed. Since that back injury, sleeping on my back in a hammock is easy. Before I go on a camping trip, I usually spend a couple of nights in my office hammock just to get re-acclimated.

Other side sleepers sometimes decide they can't change their sleep habits, so they end up going with bridge hammocks or similar. Personally, I find it easier to change my behavior than throw money at the problem. It might take a while, but I think you can change the way you sleep.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EricMancung View Post
    As a side sleeper who in normal-bed life typically turns over and faces the other direction one or more times per night, I'm wondering whether that becomes complicated in a hammock. Isn't it a little tight for your face if you switch from facing outward to facing the inward/gathered part of the hammock?
    Some side-sleep looky-sees......
    Good luck on the snooze quest.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images
    I am a side sleeper and flip and flip some in a regular bed. I also flip both directions while sleeping in a hammock too. I can recall many nights in my blackbird with my face into the fabric.
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    I toss and turn and roll around a lot on a bed. In my hammock I have woken up after six or eight hours still holding my stemless stainless steel wineglass, unspilled. Don't judge me like that. Who hasn't accidentally fallen asleep chilling in their hammock. Anyway, come morning I'll often go to partially or full on either side or sometimes ball up in a fetal position but overall I am much more still in a hammock. Absolutely love my full size UQ because it puts up with my various flip-floppings without too much fuss.

I went to mostly full-time hammocking within about a month of first sleeping in a hammock on a lark during a rafting trip precisely for this reason.

Hammock
    Mine-ziz.... Nachos
    Tarp
    Yuge
    Insulation
    safishent
    Suspension
    MSH, 1.4gpf straps
    Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    Nope I'm a flopper - my hammocks is a standard 60-in wide, never been a problem

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Silverpalm2x View Post
    I am a side sleeper and flip and flip some in a regular bed. I also flip both directions while sleeping in a hammock too. I can recall many nights in my blackbird with my face into the fabric.

Like GilligansWorld & Silverpalm2x, I side sleep and change sides "flip and flop" in my hammock too, and I've never had issues, or an problem, with doing it. Been doing it right from the start - no issues at all.

We three are not the only three either. As Shug wrote,
    "Some side-sleep......"
    willin'

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    In a bed I flip and flop from my back to my side to my other side. Each position is only comfortable for an hour or so.

In a hammock I usually lie on my back, and stay like that all night. Occasionally I get restless and sleep on my side, and it "works", but I don't stay on my side for more than an hour or so. It's just not as comfortable for me.

I use an asymmetrical UQ, so I don't flip from head-right to head-left. I'm able to sleep on either side; they feel different as one has my face facing the open centre of the hammock and the other has my face nestling into the wall of fabric. Different, but equally fine.

Just my experience after sleeping in hammocks for about 50% of nights over the last 5 years or so.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I switch sides all night long. When I turn to my left, since I'm a head left, feet right asym, it puts my face nearly into the hammock body. I find by sliding my Nemo Fillo over until it pushes into the hammock body, it shoves fabric comfortably away from my face.

Right now, its not part of my UL hammock set up, so I'll have to try something else, but this works for me every night at home. For those that use a camp pillow might be worth a try.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    I side sleep every night at home in my big Brazilian hammock, bot sides, no problem. I had an ENO single nest, no problems. Now I have an 11’ Trail Lair. Fewer nights in it, but no problems so far.
    I do find that I like a small pillow or balled up puffy under my neck.
    Charlotte

Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    I constantly rotate through left lay, right lay, right side lay, and left side lay every night.
    Can you explain for me the distinction between "left lay" and "left side lay"?

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    left lay = feet left side of hammock and head on right side of hammock (also called reverse lay). right lay = feet right side of hammock and head to the left side of hammock (also called normal lay).

left side lay is just my way of saying that I am laying on my left side. I do this with my feet on the right side and my head on the left side. If you look at Shug laying in his hammock in the video picture he is doing this position. To lay on my right side I lay on the tangent with my feet to the left side and head to the right side. Of course it is possible to do the opposite, but if you do you are looking into a wall of fabric created by the tangential lay.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast