finishing kevlar webbing straps

hi, i'm just looking for some advice on finishing the ends of some cut lengths of kevlar 3.3 i bought recently. i was trying to avoid stitching as i have no need for loops, but i have to stop the ends from fraying.

i've not been able to find too much on this topic apart from a thread on here from 5 years ago in which a couple of posters mentioned superglue and one went a bit further to suggest wetting the kevlar first. so this is really an open question about the best way of sealing those ends. from what i have found about this stuff i realise there might not be a perfect solution but any tips anyone might have would be greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Also you might try, flexible cloth glue, get a glue that can be outside and be ok below freezing. Maybe a flexible cloth glue that is made for jeans.
    I don’t know, it might work. And if it doesn’t work, and you only applied glue to the ends, half an inch in. Then if it failed, all you do is cut off that half inch from both ends and try something else.

I’ve not tried this. And when I used kevlar straps, I didn’t glue ends or anything. And if they frayed, it was not much.

Good to read label on glue package before purchase, to see what cloth it is made to work with.
    A glue that is made for synthetics might work better than a glue that is made for cotton only?!?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Sounds like you are using Kevlar for suspension straps ... they will be susceptible to UV degradation and subsequent loss of strength, if they get much sunlight exposure.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaroporter View Post
    hi, i'm just looking for some advice on finishing the ends of some cut lengths of kevlar 3.3 i bought recently. i was trying to avoid stitching as i have no need for loops, but i have to stop the ends from fraying.

i've not been able to find too much on this topic apart from a thread on here from 5 years ago in which a couple of posters mentioned superglue and one went a bit further to suggest wetting the kevlar first. so this is really an open question about the best way of sealing those ends. from what i have found about this stuff i realise there might not be a perfect solution but any tips anyone might have would be greatly appreciated.
    I've simply rolled the cut ends over a couple of times and hand stitched them with polyester thread. No problems.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser51 View Post
    Sounds like you are using Kevlar for suspension straps ... they will be susceptible to UV degradation and subsequent loss of strength, if they get much sunlight exposure.
    If used for a somewhat permanent outdoor hammock setup, yes this is definitely a problem. Even reflected UV will compromise them.

However, for a backpacking situation where they'll be deployed late afternoon and taken down the following morning, they'll last a very long time.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

hmm. it might be useful to clarify how you want to use the straps in the future, this might determine what is an acceptable solution for the ends.

for instance what cmoulder mentions above is frankly one of the first things i would consider (even if it has to be hand stitching), but perhaps you have other reasons to avoid it? it would make the ends more rigid and a bit bulkier, so if you want them to pass through some buckle, it might be an issue

another thing i would consider would be a "boa constrictor" hitch on those ends, made with some thin stuff (like paracord core or such), it would be very quick to do, should be quite stable (i used it a lot for round rope though, not webbing, so won't vouch for it for webbing), obviously requires no stitching, but it would also make the ends not pass through a buckle designed for webbing. the advantage with this solution is that, if you will want to occasionally do that (to install the buckles or take them down for maintenance or whatever), you can easily remove the whipping-constrictor, and then reinstall it when desired.

if you're planning to use it with a becket hitch style system, i think this should work nicely, perhaps also twin rings or similar, but other than that, with no loops installed on the ends, can't think of another system you might be using except some buckles (or my strange tree strap system i presented a while ago, but the odds of that are slim)

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Ive been using Kevlar straps for a couple years now. I've yet to see the incoming doom. They don't turn 'brown'
    and continue to work well (supposedly they turn brown from UV). I've retired one strap only since the start because I was using a metal clip as a Dutch clip
    that caused some fraying. They work great.
    And they don't roll into a thin rope around the trunk like dyneema straps.

Hammock
    Warrior Edge UL - LSoH
    Tarp
    'Razor' Hex - LSoH
    Insulation
    LSoH Toaster TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Simply roll the end of the strap over 2x and sew across it with whatever thread is in a sewing machine at the time.
    Problem solved, no issues.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I do a 1/2" double roll and run a line on the sewing machine.

You did say you don't want to sew them, so maybe just soak the end with CA glue and let them cure. The ends will be stiff as a board, but they aren't likely to fray.

I am using the same 2.2 Kevlar straps I bought many years ago, when 2.2 first came out. Can't get it any longer, but I have a roll of the stuff. Two twelve footer. One has since been cut down to an eight footer to eliminate a bit of fray, but otherwise they are still going strong.

I keep all of the inventory Kevlar in a light proof film bag and the one I use stay in the suspension kit when not in use. They go up at dusk and down at dawn so they rarely see direct sun for any amount of time.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts