Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bayan with Lynx

Images
    Have you thought of trying an Amok Draumr (or the XL if you're taller than 1.8 meters)? No shoulder squeeze at all with that one. It's a bit heavier and maybe bulkier than some other hammock setups, but they really got it right in terms of comfort.

Plus the company is in Norway, so I assume you could get one without paying as much in shipping and import duty.

My friend ordered the Amok so i'll be trying it out soon. But i am sceptical due to the tarp setup necessary. Maybe there's no reason to be but i need to se the thing in action before making a decision.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zlund View Post
    My friend ordered the Amok so i'll be trying it out soon. But i am sceptical due to the tarp setup necessary. Maybe there's no reason to be but i need to se the thing in action before making a decision.
    Amok will work with other tarps if they are 10 feet wide or wider.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Zlund View Post
    cmc4free; that's my conclusion as well, but i am fairly ignorant when it comes to bridge hammocks. I've watched Spiguyvers video on the Banyan and he makes it sound like the Banyan gives him less shoulder squeeze, though I don't see how this is possible with specs being so similar..
    While I see myself as a 'fellow hanger' I am technically a 'vendor'. So this forum's rules require a bit of diplomacy in my answers, hence the whishywashyness on my end at least.
    As mentioned though- I haven't had a Banyon in my hands so I wouldn't want to say with certainty anything about that model until having firsthand knowledge of it. (part of Shug's whishywashyness too I suspect).

But it seems that CMC4free and yourself have gleaned the gist of what I'm saying on the topic of comparing the two designs themselves.
    Unlike a gathered end... if a shaped quilt (Ridgereaper, Arrowhead, Lynx, etc) fits well on two bridges... it's a decent clue they will likely be similar in person.

In fairness to the Banyon- I have often said that very minor tweaks in design can produce dramatic changes. So even though things look very close on paper- I'd allow there may be a subtle tweak in dimension/design that does offer an advantage. That said- where this would show up is in a cold spot around the low back or shoulders when using a RR quilt. If the Banyon offers more 'pick up' in the shoulder, it would create a small gap under the shoulder that would begin to show around the 20*F range, so until that issue is reported it's hard for me to confirm.

Fabric can have an oversized effect on hammocks. So it is possible that one could build a bridge with the exact same dimensions and techniques and find that a firmer fabric might produce less shoulder squeeze than one with a more stretchy fabric. That said, if this was your problem you might achieve the same result selecting a double layer RR vs a single layer, or 40d vs 30d fabric.

This is a subtle difference that MAY make a difference for those right on the line of experiencing shoulder squeeze- those with a MINOR problem.

For example; Mark (Spiguyver) being a roughly size large t-shirt 180ish pound male with an athletic build might compare an original 30d single layer Ridgerunner to a 40d hexon 1.6 Banyon and find the slightly firmer fabric supports him just a bit more. Since he is sinking into the fabric a bit less, he might perceive less shoulder squeeze. So one could take this not quite apples to apples example and conclude one DESIGN does better than the other in this regard, but in truth it may simply be fabric selection that is the key choice. It might be interesting to see a comparison of this issue comparing a 30d single, 30d double, 40d (dreamtex) single and a 40d dreamtex double layer Ridgerunner.

It is also interesting to consider that solving one problem may create another. The firmer fabric at the shoulder area may reduce the perception of squeeze. However it may increase the pressure on one's butt or hips and cause low back or hip pain as well. These are very personal impacts and at times hard to predict. I have run some of the experiments personally- where fabric is the only variable and the simplest thing to say is that the goal should be balance. Enough 'sink' on your firm areas of contact without getting too squishy on your secondary points of contact.

At some point though... fabric is 'fine tuning' an otherwise good design. IE- taking a pretty good bridge (almost perfect) and pairing it with the right fabric for your weight may equal a perfect bridge for you.
    So if you have an older RR (30d fabric, perhaps even a bit stretched out) you may find a 40D version of that bridge is perfection for you.
    If however the DESIGN itself isn't right for you, swapping fabrics won't help and you might want to explore a different design.

We all face these issues with cottage gear in that we cannot simply visit a store and lay side by side to compare them- doubly so for you folks who face currency, imports, VAT, or shipping costs on top of it.
    So while the ultimate proof is in using the thing in person... in the meantime...

Which ridgerunner do you have?
    If it is an older, slightly worn in 30d bridge... you may find yourself in the same spot as Mark where fabric change may be the change you need.
    Without any direct knowledge- on paper at least- Dreamtex 40d and Hexon 1.6 with nylon 66 thread are pretty similar and I would call BOTH fabrics an improvement in bridge applications over other fabrics. The ripstop pattern combining vertical and diagonal reinforcement does well in bridges and switching from nylon 6/6 (vs nylon 6) is also a bonus for most users.

There may even be a little psychology there too... the 'roomier' bug net may contribute to an overall sense of 'roominess' and increase the perception of reduced squeeze. Especially on a 'first impressions' type review.
    And "NEW" both from a perception and a lack of fabric break in may also help. I find most all fabrics 'break in' a little. Shoes have that sweet spot between brand new and broken down where they fit you just right. Fabrics are not quite that extreme but they do settle a little. I find this true of bridges too where erring slightly to the side of firm to start, results in a design that breaks in well. So ultimately it's around that 30-60 night range where you really find out how the bridge will do for you on a longer term basis.

TL;DR-

Overall point being-

If you have an older 30d RR- You may be in a position where a fabric upgrade solves your MINOR shoulder squeeze issue. The Banyon or upgraded RR are likely to help you. In that case, I might simply lean towards the Banyon as 'something new' to try. And as a newer product it's probably easier to resell if it doesn't work out as well. But if you are otherwise thrilled with the RR and all kitted out to use it... maybe the upgraded RR is the more practical choice here.

If your issue is MAJOR- only a new design would help. (like the proposed AMOK) There might even be one other bridge you could try.

If you have a newer RR in 40d fabric already, I'd be a bit less optimistic that switching to a Banyon would help dramatically.

More evidence/feedback will develop over time- but in the meantime hope you don't mind my informed speculation above as my only goal is to help a fellow hanger get a good night's sleep without breaking the bank trying every model side by side.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12