Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Apex as filler between Hammock-UQ?

Has anyone tried using a sheet of Apex between hammock and UQ?

I'm looking to help fill gaps caused by changes in sleeping position, etc., this seems like a light and easy to pack option to me.

Images
    I have not heard of that approach. You are referring to Climashield Apex? I'm pretty sure it would add overall warmth, but I'm not sure it would puff up enough to fill those gaps. How big are the gaps?

Of course, the question is why the gaps? Which UQ are you using? Though this is a problem reported frequently. I have noticed it myself with certain(but not all) UQ/hammock combinations, particularly with full length UQs on gathered end hammocks. For example having a perfect gap free fit when on my back, but then when I turn to my side, look out. This is just one reason I have found my bridge hammocks much easier to insulate, I'm usually gap free to start with and changing position makes no difference at all.

So, adding some CS Apex might puff up and fill those gaps, or not. Have you tried it? Of course, the best option is to figure out how to get rid of the gaps, but sometimes easier said than done. But, one thing is guaranteed to work for me: adding a small piece of CCF, inside the hammock, under the cold spots, particularly useful if the cold spot is under my butt, legs or feet. (if feet or lower legs are cold, a small piece of pad can even be added INSIDE the TQ or bag's footbox) A small piece of pad is easier to work with in a hammock than full length, and does not decrease overall comfort as much, in my experience. Though once again, using a pad short or full length is made way easier when adding it to a bridge or 90º hammock, either in a pad pocket or directly inside the hammock. But, I assume you are not using a bridge hammock, or else you would probably not have gaps, at least in my experience(also assuming the UQ is not too long for the bridge, better yet made for the bridge) . Still, a small piece of pad is fairly easily managed in any hammock, especially if under the legs or butt. That might be something worth experimenting with, especially if you already have a sit pad with you, and/or CCF pad as a part of your pack.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-08-2020 at 09:06.

Mainly trying this for my wife. I use a Greylock 3 or 4, and just make adjustments as needed. Although if this works out it will probably be something I try as well- I do almost always find I have cold spots occur somewhere during the night. We do both have small sit pads in our foot boxes, but I usually have heel discomfort if I don't use it. I generally keep my jacket in my hammock saddlebag, if cold spots occur and I'm too lazy to try to adjust things.

We have tried several approaches for her UQ's. FULL length JRB Hudson river/Old rag mnt quilts hung as UQ's, reaching basically knot to knot on the hammocks with various clips, shock cord, triangle thingies, etc, A HG Incubator- with triangle thingies, etc, and last year, we got her a Warbonnet wookie, thinking it would be the end all of needed fiddling and adjustments.

She doesn't really like the lack of coverage of the wookie. The goal was to replace her overstuffed, 0 degree, massive incubator with the wookie to save pack space, and likely be just as warm as it should remain fitted better (IMO). However now she notices her knee is often not covered, and perhaps the wookie is not staying in place side to side correctly due to changing sleep positions.

We plan to hang her hammock up at home when we get the chance and I wanted to try clips or some shock cord somehow to pull up the sides or keep it close to the hammock, to see if that fixes things. She wanted to pack another UQ, and double them, which really defeats the purpose of ditching the large incubator setup in the first place. That's where I thought maybe a light piece of climashield would give somewhat the effect of doubling up, helping to create a draft blocking seal, and possibly fill small gaps that occur when positions change.

Oh- and I had a bridge hammock at one point, but traded it to a friend. It was incredibly comfortable, but we tandem hang our hammocks and use a custom tarp to cover both, so bridges are out for us unfortunately.
    Last edited by binfordw; 10-08-2020 at 10:44.

I haven’t tried Apex but have tried a Costco Down Throw and have also tried a piece of InsulBrite (like a space blanket with white insulation on the outsides, then needle punched with thousands of tiny holes so it is breathable). Both worked to add more warmth and reduce cold air infiltration when I turn over (I’m a side sleeper).

I prefer the CDT as it has multiple uses. I can use it sitting around camp and don’t worry about getting it dirty or having every pine needle or tiny twig stick to it.

Images
    +1 on using a costco throw as a quick fix, but you are right about it being bulky.

Depending on how much effort you want to put into this, if you really want to eliminate cold spots, you can try either a clew modification or spandex. I use both.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That Greylock should be keeping you good and warm. Mine does for me.
    Maybe you have seen them but I'll add a a couple of UQ videos in case you haven't that may give some insight.
    Usually cold spots are UQs that are just not hung correctly or dialed in yet. Good luck!
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    clew modification or spandex. I use both.
    The wookie is similar to the spandex you mention, although I don't think its very stretchy. Thanks for the ideas, I hadn't seen those.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    That Greylock should be keeping you good and warm. Mine does for me.
    Maybe you have seen them--
    Shug
    Seen em all I believe, I actually just re-watched the first one you linked with the Hudson river as a UQ yesterday when my wife and I were talking about it again.

I really like the Greylock's, but yea, I do get dull- coldish spots throughout the night almost every time. Now that I'm using a XLC with a net/top cover, adjusting the far side- anything other than just tugging on the UQ, can be tricky in the middle of the night.

I use prussik's on the 4 corners of the channel suspension to tension things up, I notice you don't. Maybe I should try without them and just add more tension to the main channel cord. I added them years ago early on when trying to figure out how to use it properly, and just left them on.

Well I got a few yards of 6.5oz Apex material in the mail today. I hung my wifes hammock and performed the tedious task of lounging in it. Its possible this material might fix her issues, will have to have her lay in it and see.

The downside I can see already, is I think its going to take up as much pack space as one of our other quilts.

I would like to find some form of clips to hold a UQ to the hammock in spots. I purchased some random plastic hardware from Dutch, but nothing seems useable. I had some small hooks that I thought would work, but the XLT hammock has a zipper on the seam in the way. Any thoughts on clips, snaps, something to hold a wookie's loose areas close to the hammock?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by binfordw View Post
    Well I got a few yards of 6.5oz Apex material in the mail today. I hung my wifes hammock and performed the tedious task of lounging in it. Its possible this material might fix her issues, will have to have her lay in it and see.

The downside I can see already, is I think its going to take up as much pack space as one of our other quilts.

I would like to find some form of clips to hold a UQ to the hammock in spots. I purchased some random plastic hardware from Dutch, but nothing seems useable. I had some small hooks that I thought would work, but the XLT hammock has a zipper on the seam in the way. Any thoughts on clips, snaps, something to hold a wookie's loose areas close to the hammock?

I've never heard of a Wooki being that hard to wrangle. Not saying it can't be though as in your wifes case.
    Take a look at this guys ideas for UQ stability....might work....https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ops-to-hammock
    Are you tying the loop on the shelf side through the Wooki as instructed? Like at 3:29 in video below.
    Dutch sells all kind of quilt hooks.....https://dutchwaregear.com/product-ca...uilt-hardware/

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Though I've never needed something extra, one of your questions was about clips. I think in time you'll get it figured out and not need extra bits, but in the meantime I think these clips would hold. Or maybe not, but it would be cheap to try. They're surprisingly strong and have little "teeth" which grip fairly well even on slippery fabrics.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001PNIWT2..._0AoHFbRVTYXFZ

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast