Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks for the info, and yes, that loop is tied up on the shelf side.

The link for the forum post is what I fear I might have to wind up trying, although I somewhat hate to sew on a hammock. It looks like if I need to do so, small loops sewn into the zipper material at least shouldn't affect the strength of the hammock.

I'm not sold yet on what her issues sleeping in it are really. (While in the woods I'm sound asleep during her apparent problems XD) She did have a few minutes before a rain storm rolled in to lay in her hammock I had setup, and she mentioned the "cold spots" she has been struggling with were around her butt/thigh area.

I think its likely she is not positioned well, ie, too far down in the hammock, or, butt not in the middle.

Shug, can you roll onto your side and not have issues with wookie coverage?

Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Though I've never needed something extra, one of your questions was about clips. I think in time you'll get it figured out and not need extra bits, but in the meantime I think these clips would hold. Or maybe not, but it would be cheap to try. They're surprisingly strong and have little "teeth" which grip fairly well even on slippery fabrics.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001PNIWT2..._0AoHFbRVTYXFZ

"Unique and exquisite, vintage storage box, easy carry handle"? I feel like I'm making a mistake if I don't order right now!

I might have to try them. I did try small metal binder clips I had, which just didn't cut it. I did order some "Kamsnaps", If I can incorporate those without causing any real damage to the hammock I might try them- Will have to check them out when they arrive.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    That Greylock should be keeping you good and warm. Mine does for me.
    Maybe you have seen them but I'll add a a couple of UQ videos in case you haven't that may give some insight.
    Usually cold spots are UQs that are just not hung correctly or dialed in yet. Good luck!
    Shug

Agree with Shug 100%. And his videos are the standard by which others are measured!

Images
    These are stronger than mini binder clips and the little hemispherical bumps or "teeth" do help with gripping.

Shop around a little though. Those things are sold under a hundred different "brands" and the prices and quantities vary.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 10-12-2020 at 19:17.

I set her hammock up in the garage today, and fiddled with it while she napped. I think a large part of her issue is the wookie really puts you head far up in the hammock. When she scooted up and still had wookie a bit above her head, it looked like her knee was covered when she rolled on her side. The insulation does cut pretty sharply in that area, so a bit farther down to the middle of the hammock makes your knees exposed if you lay on your side.

I did add a couple kamsnaps at the foot and shoulder, to keep things in place.

I rigged my JRB shenandoah as an UQ, I think she really has intentions of taking it as well. Atleast its small and about as light as it gets I guess.

Dusted off the old sewing machine and used a scrap length of Xenon to make a UQ protector to try out this afternoon. Its a windy 55degs outside, shes napping in it now, should be cool enough to find any issues Id think. I'll probably remove the protector here in a bit and see if she notices any difference.

I figured a UQ protector might be a wise idea, we are headed to a pretty open area this next weekend for several days.

IMG_3177[1].jpg

My wife used this UQ protector this weekend, in warmer weather (50F ish) and with rain overnight. Seemed to work nicely for keeping breezes out, and helping keep UQ perhaps a little more snug at the expense of a little loft I'm sure, but I was a little surprised at the amount of condensation in it when we packed it up. I believe this is Xenon fabric, leftover from making our tarp. Would another type of fabric make much of a difference in the condensation?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by binfordw View Post
    My wife used this UQ protector this weekend, in warmer weather (50F ish) and with rain overnight. Seemed to work nicely for keeping breezes out, and helping keep UQ perhaps a little more snug at the expense of a little loft I'm sure, but I was a little surprised at the amount of condensation in it when we packed it up. I believe this is Xenon fabric, leftover from making our tarp. Would another type of fabric make much of a difference in the condensation?
    Was it silnylon?
    A breathable fabric helps to keep condensation away in most cases.
    Also, let the UQP hang a little loose.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Xenon is a silnylon I think yea. Definitely waterproof stuff.

Loose hang for condensation to leave UQ and not be pressed up against it? Or to not compress loft, or both?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by binfordw View Post
    Xenon is a silnylon I think yea. Definitely waterproof stuff.

Loose hang for condensation to leave UQ and not be pressed up against it? Or to not compress loft, or both?
    UQP should still block wind and gaps if loose. Not really meant to be tight up against the UQ. If loose it creates a warm air pocket and allows body moisture to leave the UQ.

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast