Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trip ideas?

Trip ideas?

My wife and I are trying to find something to hike at the end of this month. We would be driving from SE Indiana, and want to keep the drive below 5-6 hours if possible. (Any longer and we would rather go back to Dolly sods to do the bear rock loop)

We often go to Daniel Boone in Kentucky, and have done a good bit of the "not so touristy" areas in the Smokies, as well as Hoosier nat forest and Deem wilderness here in Southern Indiana.

Interested in finding a loop that would fit a 3 day 2 night hike totaling 12-18 miles depending on elevation gains.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Wayne NF in Ohio: Wildcat Hollow ~3H:40M offers a nice 20 mile loop Easily a weekend trip. Hills not bad.
    Zaleski SF in Ohio: 3:20 nice set of 3 loops to make meet your distance needs needs
    Wayne NF in Ohio: Archers Fork 4:20: about 13 miles with nice camps and Appalachian hills including an arch and the great cave.
    Tar Hollow SF in Ohio: 3:00: figure 8 loop.
    Grayson Highlands/ Mt Rodgers, VA 7:00 Big Vistas of the Blue ridge ... oh and wild ponies
    Bandy Creek Big South Fork Nat. Rec. Area 4:40: Park at Bandy Creek Pool and take the Fall branch trail to Grand Gap Loop. Come back via the Litton Farmstead. Nice weekend loop with rocky gorges, caves, and big vistas overlooking the Cumberland river gorge. Also many other opportunities here.'
    Mammoth Cave NP. Has some nice BP loops.
    Beaver Creek Wilderness: Dan Boone NF: 3:50 Not that long on a trail 10 miles but lots of nooks and crannies to explore in the valley.
    Going West there is the Shawnee NF & Mark Twain NF... But I am not too familiar with those.

Many of the Ohio Trails have detailed maps and trail reports here: Backpack Ohio

Hope that gives some ideas.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    There is also Otter Creek Wilderness 1/2 hour shy of Dolly Sods. That is well worth the trip. Though I would recommend a summer trip as there are numerous creek crossings and water fun is a good part of the trip. If you decide to go here, I can give you the location of a very private and secluded 15' cascade with a 4' deep, hot tubish pool at the bottom.... Since you say you are backpacking with your wife...

Hey thanks! That's a lot of options to look at. My wife has info on Otter creek but hadn't had the time yet to read about it. We just did section 33/34 of the Sheltowee/topside loop/negro creek trail on the big south fork this past trip.

Decent water this time of year would be a big deciding factor.

Grayson Highlands looks great, will try to find out about water- and camping, I see it says "no stealth" camping.

Thanks again for the info

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by binfordw View Post
    Decent water this time of year would be a big deciding factor.

Grayson Highlands looks great, will try to find out about water- and camping, I see it says "no stealth" camping.
    For the Grayson Highlands. Park at Elk Garden trailhead (avoids the state park entrance and parking fees) and hike in using the AT from the West. There are several streams and springs for water. Never had an issue there.
    Note: the no stealth camping is for the State park area only. The majority of the area is part of the George Washington and Jefferson National Forests' Mount Rogers National Recreation Area... thus many disbursed camping opportunities.

There are water springs at: 36.655577, -81.535700, and 36.654105, -81.523732, and 36.658095, -81.557076, and 36.668688, -81.511413, and more. The springs are well marked with signs on the main trails.

Amazing info, I can't thank you enough. I'll discuss with my wife, we might just be going to Grayson!

Would you happen to have the coords of Elk garden trailhead? Having trouble finding that on maps so far.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by binfordw View Post
    Would you happen to have the coords of Elk garden trailhead? Having trouble finding that on maps so far.
    Here you go.
    Elk Garden Trailhead
    Search Google Maps
    36°38'46.7"N 81°34'58.7"W

Also, the sunset from here is amazing:
    36°39'29.8"N 81°31'21.3"W

There are some nice hammock spots:
    36°39'14.8"N 81°31'38.3"W and 36°39'18.9"N 81°31'32.2"W

Capture.jpg

Hope you have have a great time.
    Last edited by jeff-oh; 10-16-2020 at 11:40.

Much appreciated. The "Elk garden" I was finding was much farther north, wanted to verify before we went and got lost

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    yea, you have to type in trailhead else all you get is the town. Not the same

Also, if you get down there late and need to camp at the trail head there are several nice hammock spots and camps just inside the woodline across from the bulletin board.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast