Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trip ideas?

Oh, that sounds nice- We will have a late start leaving on Thursday. Wife was thinking to get a hotel but if we could swing getting in and finding a spot that would be excellent.

https://www.rivertorivertrail.net/ho...lti-day-hikes/
    This link here has 6 different multi day trips in the Shawnee National forest all set up in downloadable brochures with great maps. It's about a 4 hour drive to southern illinois from SE Indiana. There are limited supply stores once you get deep into southern illinois so have everything you need before you leave Indiana. I recommend Lusk Creek or Garden of the God's Wilderness. So many trails at lusk creek you can easily make this any amount of miles. The only downside to the Shawnee is it is very popular for horseback riding and the trails can be a mess in spots and there can be a lot of creek crossings, especially in Lusk Creek area. Lusk Creek can be waist deep after heavy rains.

https://www.avenzamaps.com/maps/1102...ike-map-bundle

Here is a link to an Avenza maps bundle for these trips. $10 for bundle of you can also purchase just 1 map for I think $1.99. If you have never used Avenza it is an excellent Gps Tracking map's app for your phone that is free to download but some maps are pay for. You do not need cell signal to use just gps.

https://www.avenzamaps.com/maps/1107...r-trail-bundle

You could also download this map bundle for free which is all the maps for the 160 mile River to River trail and use map 5 for Garden of the Gods and maps 8 and 9 for lusk creek. The top portion for Lusk creek is missing tho if you went that far up. But most of the good stuff is on those 2 maps.

Just let me know if you got any questions. Happy to answer. I've been to many areas here and done lots of research. Hoping to do Lusk Creek next week myself. Happy Trails

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This is great info. Thanks.

Edit: To _all_ on this thread.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bonsaihiker; 10-21-2020 at 15:16.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

No problem. Lol, I'm just waking up in Lusk Creek Wilderness now. Very pretty here but the trails are much more rugged than Garden of the Gods. Many more rocks on trail and more horse usage.

Nice, thanks for the info. We have already made plans to head out tomorrow for Grayson Highlands, but will definitely look into the Shawnee for future plans.

Good looking colors, can't wait to get out myself.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    NEBOZax, I've been to the Garden of the Gods National Rec Area, and that was beautiful. Would love to explore the area more. Thank you for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by binfordw View Post
    Nice, thanks for the info. We have already made plans to head out tomorrow for Grayson Highlands, but will definitely look into the Shawnee for future plans.

Good looking colors, can't wait to get out myself.
    Excellent choice. I have never been to Grayson Highlands but it's high on my list. Hope everything goes well. Happy Trails

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12