Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Cougarmeat, making a bridge with recessed spreader bars lets you shorten the suspension triangle cords but effectively keep the suspension triangle the same size - 80% of spreader bar length is what Grizz suggests, I think. You may not want to recess the head spreader more than 9" or so, but the foot spreader can be moved farther toward the center - maybe as much as 15" (YMMV). You can also shorten the foot spreader, which lets you shorten its suspension triangle. The shorter the distance between the two spreaders, the shorter the possible tree to tree distance. Having said that, I like the feel of a hammock that's longer than I need for my 5' 7". It doesn't hang differently, but it's roomier. I don't mind seeking out trees spaced a bit farther apart. (These are DIY modifications mostly, but you can try a shorter foot spreader and shorter foot end suspension triangle for a commercial bridge hammock.)

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Love the color... great Job!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Cougarmeat, making a bridge with recessed spreader bars lets you shorten the suspension triangle cords but effectively keep the suspension triangle the same size - 80% of spreader bar length is what Grizz suggests, I think. You may not want to recess the head spreader more than 9" or so, but the foot spreader can be moved farther toward the center - maybe as much as 15" (YMMV). You can also shorten the foot spreader, which lets you shorten its suspension triangle. The shorter the distance between the two spreaders, the shorter the possible tree to tree distance. Having said that, I like the feel of a hammock that's longer than I need for my 5' 7". It doesn't hang differently, but it's roomier. I don't mind seeking out trees spaced a bit farther apart. (These are DIY modifications mostly, but you can try a shorter foot spreader and shorter foot end suspension triangle for a commercial bridge hammock.)
    Yar- but just to be precise.
    80% of spreader bar length for users 200lbs or less is the MINIMUM one should use.
    This also assumes a well made, structurally sound spreader bar material (like Easton Aluminum poles in .625" or greater diameter)

Going below that is possible (especially if you are lighter)- but one needs to consider the full design.

As WV knows but just to share with all; when you alter the symmetry of a bridge it also alters how you hang it and use it. So that smaller foot bar does allow you to use a shorter dogbone length... BUT much like that jacob's ladder rope game at the carnival you will trade some stability in the bargain. So often asymmetrical spreader bar designs use the same sized dogbone on each end to combat this issue.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12