WBBB. WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 UQ, HG 0 TQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/ buckles

Asym tarps

Interested in knowing if anyone uses an asym tarp in winter and if it provides adequate rain cover.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    No. And No it does not.

The Asym tarps are for very light weather IMO. Even then you can end up fairly wet learning to dial one in. Either way you will also have minimal area underneath the tarp to cook, store gear, keep things dry.

One of the great things about hammocks over ground pounding is the weather. Tents you are pretty much either there for the duration or you just have to put the rain gear on to get out and start breaking down camp to move on. In a hammock you aren't as closed in. You can elect to sit outside under the tarp on a stool and enjoy things. Cook make some coffee, take in what the people in their tents can't. Then pack up everything nice and dry under tarp coverage.

Asym tarps don't offer much of that. I think Dutch makes the giant Asym in Sil to help with some of the drawbacks of the more minimalist asyms.

You can also compare Asym + UQP configurations, but the cost and weight penalty of the additional 5 ounces, + 50 bucks, puts you right in the weight and price range of the DCF Hex tarp.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I agree. Asyms are generally a "just in case" piece of kit for short trips when nice weather or perhaps some brief showers might be expected.

For a while I did own and use an interesting design called Glasgow K.I.S.S., which is a larger asym that has, in essence, some 6" wide "eaves" on the off sides, and they were quite effective. I used this tarp a couple of times in fairly heavy rain—one time with approx 15mph wind—and it worked very well for an asym. I would consider something like that in DCF as a regular tarp.

However, that said I still strongly recommend an 11' hex (8.5' wide) in DCF. Lotta coverage per oz... mine is a tad under 8oz for tarp, guy lines, stuff sack and Ti shepherd hook stakes.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    As long as the rain is vertical and winds are weak, asym's are great!!! You will hear of folks who swear by 'em though. I have no plans to ever have another.

I had a Hennessy Hammock for quite a while, wich came with an asym-tarp. If i hung it low, it would protect myself surprisingly well, even in quite unpleasant weather - much better than i would have imagined. But i used it only for sleeping, not for hanging around. So if you plan to stay longer at one place, i would not recommend an asym-tarp. If you use it primarily for sleeping i think it is a useful lighter weight /smaller packing alternative.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Paradoxically, the Asym-tarp is good for good weather - as sunblock. Many times I’ve reached my day hike destination and set up for a noontime rest, only to find the sun glaring down at me. In addition, there are still birds in the trees and flying above. I’ve used the Dutch Wide Asymmetric tarp on a 5 day “mild weather” adventure and it worked fine. As said, you are protected from “normal” rain but maybe not blowing sideways rain - especially if your tarp orientation is sub-optimal.

If I knew the weather was going to be good for the duration of a multi-day trek, I’d take it. Note that I also use a UQP to mitigate against blowing rain and wind direction changes.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 10-06-2020 at 17:43.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I bring mine only when there is no rain in the forecast. Mainly to keep birds from crapping on me. That said, I have had it out during rain showers with no issues so long as it wasn't windy. FYI, I don't camp in winter.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    As others have said, not worth it unless you're certain of good weather. In even a light, vertical shower the asym tarp may keep the inside of your hammock dry, but you can't push the hammock aside and cook under the tarp.
    Personally, I like to switch diagonal lays during the night (restless sleeper), so there's another disadvantage of an asym.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Ultralight Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex/Stock
    Insulation
    Cumulus UQ+TQ
    Suspension
    Hennessy stock
    I'd just like to point out that "asym tarp" just means that, the tarp is asymmetric. It doesn't say anything about coverage. Most asym tarps happen to be diamond tarps with less coverage, but not all. For example, the Hennessy Hex Tarp is also asymmetric (the sides are shifted towards head/feet in Hennessy's diagonal lay direction). With that, there's definitely more rain protection than in a same-sized non-asymmetric hex fly (and I've always stayed dry under it, but I haven't been in any thunderstorms). But I still wouldn't want to compare it to a tarp with doors, especially if the wind blows at all from the feet/head end of the hammock.

• + New Posts