Dream Hammock Sparrow.
    Tarp
    None yet
    Insulation
    None yet
    Images

TOTAL FRUSTRATION !

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for having me! Yes, I am experiencing total frustration, and I'll explain why. I think you'll understand.

I live in NJ and love my Harley. I usually go on a couple or few weekend trips in the summer. Most of my buddies will stay at a hotel so I would usually do the same. However with the hope of retiring in a few years, the plan is to hit the road and go cross county, A bucket list item I have to take care of. When it occurred to me that paying for a hotel, for a single night, every night, would bankrupt me, I though I would mix it up with tent camping. So I got myself a nice backpacking tent and for the last couple of years I would do some weekend trips with the tent. (My friends think i'm nuts). I enjoyed it. Felt like I could definitely get into the camping/biker thing. But then I came across a YouTube video called "Tent vs Hammock Why I perfer a hammock". Great channel. I was sold on getting a hammock. Even if I wanted to add a little more weight to the bike it would be worth it to have the best of both worlds. Tent and a hammock. So I did my research and settled on the DreamHammock Sparrow/w cover. (no underquilt yet) I finally ordered it in the middle of June thinking I still be able to go on a couple of hammock trips before the season is out. NOT. It took 10 weeks to get that baby.

The frustration comes into play because I received it one week after shoulder cuff surgery. I set up a couple of hang points in my house so I could get used to sleeping in it before hitting the road, BEFORE the surgery. I let my daughter try it out and she loved it. I sat in it (arm sling and all) but knew I better not try laying down in it. Now that I'm a month out from surgery, and feeling a little better, I wondered if I could take the plunge and lay in it with the bad shoulder. I turned to Google and typed in " Sleeping in a hammock after rotator cuff surgery". And I was directed to this forum to get the answer. Of course it was NOT what I wanted to hear. So for the time being, I'm sleeping in a recliner with my brand new DeamHammock hanging up with me NOT in it. Frustrating to say the least. I got some good advise from this forum and looking forward to learning more about hammock camping. And cant wait to try this thing out

I think that's enough said about me, dont you. LOL

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    So sorry to hear about your shoulder. I bet that Harley is feeling pretty lonesome. Don’t worry. It will heal and you’ll be able to ride and hang in no time.

Welcome to the community!

Charlotte

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Maybe you will have to heal more before you can comfortably use your hammock. This is more about you, your shoulder, your doctor, your physical therapist; than hammock campers guessing about solutions.
    Here are some of my unqualified guesses:
    Healing sometimes takes a long time—if ever
    Possibly your doctor might prescribe small amounts of steroids to help you build some extra muscle to support your shoulder
    Or your doctor might prescribe some pain medication to allow you to sleep in your hammock almost pain free
    Maybe you can have some success by switching from right lay to left lay—or the reverse.
    Maybe switching to a 12x6 gathered end hammock can reduce shoulder squeeze enough for hammock nirvana.
    Maybe try an oversized length and width bridge hammock.

I’m out of guesses for now
    And I wish you best luck, healing and conquering pain.

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    Don't rush it. I lost my bladder to cancer. The gathered end hammocks would not work for me because of night drainage bag. While recovering I ordered a Ridge Runner & ordered a under quilt. Spent a month or two just practicing set up & tear down before laying in it. It was around 3 months before laying in it. I'm about 2 year out now & using it fairly often.

I have traveled all over the US & Canada camping on motorcycles for 55 year. I don't hike. Been hauling small hiker tent & hammock for last 10 year. I prefer the forest campgrounds because their 6-8 bucks. Every 3-4 days I use a Koa or simular to get a shower & bird bath the other days. I also do most of my own cooking on trips. My trips are usually 2-3 weeks.

My friends call me cheap but I call it frugal. Just give it time & you will love it.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I had rotator cuff surgery 2018 and would recommend to be really careful rushing to get in the hammock. Maybe try sitting but you don't want to re-injure that shoulder. Really important to keep it immobile and laying in that hammock could compromise that.
    So proceed with caution and maybe give it a couple more weeks.
    Patience will pay off. Same with PT. Do it and get that shoulder strong.
    Carry forth......
    Shug

Last edited by Shug; 10-06-2020 at 17:32.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Indeed, PT for the inevitable scar tissue.

I've had 3 shoulder separations from mountain biking encounters with trees. No cuff surgery and minimal PT but I had to do prescribed PT stretches and so forth to get good range of motion without pain. It took a good long while in each instance... anywhere from 3-6 months.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

MikeJ,

Listen to Shug.

If it were me, I would wait until you are fully healed and cleared by the Doctor. The thing about hammock camping is even when you are dialed in, accidents happen i.e.falls out of hammock, miss the hammock after a nite time pee, hammock suspension slips and you meet the ground etc. Most importantly, whatever hammock you go with Gathered End or Bridge, you will have to use your arms to sit up, get in and get out of the hammock. In other words, the muscles used put almost all of the stress onto your shoulder/rotator cuff.

Have fun but take your time.

BTW congrats on the retirement.

Bob

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    11' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Beckett and EVOs
    Welcome from Durham, NC! I did a trip from Florida to the Grand Canyon on my motorcycle - I did spend quite a few nights in a tent myself. I will say that it was one of the more memorable experiences I've ever done. Don't rush it until you're healed - look at it as a reward and remember that good things come to those who wait!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow.
    Tarp
    None yet
    Insulation
    None yet
    Images
    Thanks Everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. My Physical therapist does say I'm rushing things a bit, but to tell you the truth, I do feel like my surgery wasn't as bad as most. I did almost nothing the first two weeks but I drove myself to the first doctor visit at the two week mark. I took my sling off and just rested the arm on the arm rest. I wouldn't recommend everyone to do it, but I handled it ok. It was either drive or get into a covid filled Uber car. lol I decided to take the chance driving myself. I was pretty much completely out of the sling in three weeks although I did wear it when i slept on my recliner. At the 4 week mark I only wear it when I go for a longer walk. They do tell me to stay in it for the 6 weeks but that thing is torture. When I do PT, I always make sure I'm getting more range of motion by the end of the exercise than when i started. They say you're suppose to go till you get a little stretch and just a bit more and hold it for five. Trying not to over do it but lets just say I'm "motivated".

Right now I have the hammock set up in my house. I wouldn't dream of going camping right now, but I have been laying in it off and on (very carefully). It has a ridge line so that helps a bit. I attempted to sleep in it for the night once but got out after a couple of hours and went back to the recliner. I'm guessing there will be an adjustment getting used to sleeping a full night in a hammock if you've never done it before. Ive had some great naps, but never a whole night.

thanks again guys

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    DIY 0* HG 0*
    Suspension
    Hg daisy chain
    I also just had rotator cuff surgery, they cut off a few inches of the tendon for my bicep and some bone spurs. I slept in my Bridge hammock the first week and my gathered at week 2. The bridge was fine but the gathered end you really feel it! I use the chest strap that holds the elbow to the rib cage and I put a squishy pillow in the hammock. It seemed to help a little but still can’t sleep all night in it. I actually did go camping 2 days after surgery and ended up coming home 2 days later. Lol. I can now say from experience, don’t rush it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast