Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'

Tensa 4 hack for Big Guy Bridge.

I got a Big Guy Bridge from Just Bill and have bee very comfortable in it. I also have a Tensa 4 stand thT is used when kayak camping. I tried the BGB on the stand and couldn't get the geometry to work. Either the hammock or the spreader bar would hit stand no matter what I did once I got in.

I thought through the geometry and realized that if I could somehow make the poles steeper but keep the ridgeline the same it would work. I imagined extending the poles into the ground and realized, after some trial and error that this could be accomplished by making the stand into two parallel trapazoids. So down the basement I went and grabbed some scrap PVC pipe, cut it in half (22 inches each half) and tied them to the bottom of the tensa poles. It seemed to work great and made the BGB work on the stand. I added a second baseline to keep everything from twisting.

Testing went well in the backyard so I took it with me on my latest trip. It worked well.

The crappy line was replaced with soft shackles and it's not a big deal to fit in the kayak.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    That’s awesome. How long is your baseline? I’m gonna try it out tomorrow. And thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltfly View Post
    That’s awesome. How long is your baseline? I’m gonna try it out tomorrow. And thanks

The baseline is a ucr that can be from about a foot to 10 feet long. It looks to be about 6 feet on the stand. Don't forget to add a second one and attach them to the ends of the pipe so the stand will be less likely to twist.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltfly View Post

The baseline determines the height of the hammock on the stand. I adjust one so the hammock height is right and then make the other one the same length.

Note, This is something I came up with and is not supported by Tensa or Towns-End. doing this may very well violate your warranties for both the stand and/or hammock.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    You can avoid any extra hardware (that pipe) by setting up both halves in the manner you would when using one tree, with a stake placed under each apex and a guyline running in a V shape along the ground to prevent the feet sliding toward each other. Then anchor at least the foot end apex to the anchor beneath it. See pics toward the end here, and just imagine the same setup on both sides: https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/one-tree-two-hammocks/
    --
    Tensa Outdoor, LLC, maker of the Tensa4, Tensa Solo, and Tensa Trekking Treez hammock stands: http://tensaoutdoor.com/

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Quote Originally Posted by Latherdome View Post
    You can avoid any extra hardware (that pipe) by setting up both halves in the manner you would when using one tree, with a stake placed under each apex and a guyline running in a V shape along the ground to prevent the feet sliding toward each other. Then anchor at least the foot end apex to the anchor beneath it. See pics toward the end here, and just imagine the same setup on both sides: https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/one-tree-two-hammocks/
    That would work, too. I'll have to try it.

I went through all sorts of permutations of stakes and guy lines before I realized I needed to compensate for the compressive forces of the bottom of the poles trying to move toward each other. This accomplishes the same thing by tethering the bottom of the poles to the Orange Screw. Boy am I glad I bought that 600 foot roll of Amsteel

Leave it to me to overcomplicate things.

Thanks.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wbJohn View Post
    That would work, too. I'll have to try it.

I went through all sorts of permutations of stakes and guy lines before I realized I needed to compensate for the compressive forces of the bottom of the poles trying to move toward each other. This accomplishes the same thing by tethering the bottom of the poles to the Orange Screw. Boy am I glad I bought that 600 foot roll of Amsteel

Leave it to me to overcomplicate things.

Thanks.

On a smooth surface, such as a patio or garage floor, the PVC feet connector might still come in handy, due to inabilities to put a stake on the ground. Unless of course I add some sort of anchors sunk into the floor, but just using the pipe added to the feet might be easier, maybe.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    On a smooth surface, such as a patio or garage floor, the PVC feet connector might still come in handy, due to inabilities to put a stake on the ground. Unless of course I add some sort of anchors sunk into the floor, but just using the pipe added to the feet might be easier, maybe.
    I didn't throw them out

Carrying them is more weight and bulk, though. for a home or car camping solution, you're right, they could come in handy. I could see using them if I were using counter weights rather than stakes or even in a hotel room.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    > even in a hotel room.
    Would the hotel be concerned if you were carrying up those trapezoidal concrete blocks often used as a foundation base? Maybe they’d get the hint that hammock eyebolts in the wall should be standard construction/feature of their rooms.

I really like your solution - separated Tensa poles, not concrete blocks - to the “RR challenge”.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY dl bridge
    Tarp
    Diy silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Outdoor ink straps
    That’s a brilliant solution
    Now I can get rid of my last gathered end hammock!
    I much prefer bridges

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast