Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Typical to use a sleeping bag with an UQ?

Hi all,

Sorry, new to hammocks so I apologize if this topic has been brought up. I did a search but couldn't find anything. I have a bridge (Warbonnet RR) and I'd like to be able to be comfortable down to mid-30s. I'm a cold sleeper. Is it "typical" to use a sleeping bag WITH an UQ? I realize we should do what ever makes us comfortable but it seems to me like I'm now carrying 2 sleeping bags if I do that. I used a pad down to 35* the other night and I was very cold!

Follow up question to those who have a RR: any recommendations on which one fits best with the RR besides the Lynx. I see the Arrowhead Equip Ridge Creek - how is the quality on this one? And I see the Jacks R Better Mt. Washington? Anyone have any insight into the compressibility of these 3?

Images
    Yes, this is a typical "transitional" set up for persons who dont have a specific top-quilt/underquilt combo. Its okay to use what you have. Some people even prefer having the full bag.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    I used sleeping bags & closed cell foam pads for many years before I started using topquilts & underquilts with my hammocks. I had (have) all that gear from my tent/tarp days, so it was easy to use it transitioning from the ground to hanging. Easy to make due with your sleeping bags & apart from the hammock, the underquilt was the 1st real piece of hammock gear I purchased.

Images
    Well, yes, you are having to carry both a sleeping bag and UQ( or a pad). Just like on the ground, right? On the ground you need both cushioning AND insulation. In the hammock, you don't need any cushioning but you sure as heck need the insulation. So you have to carry the same as what you might need on the ground, unless it is well above 70F or so.

However, if it is not very cold, you might get by with less pad than you need on the ground, since you don't need a lot of insulation and you don't need the cushioning.

Sorry to hear you were cold. Can you give us some more details? Where were you cold? All over or just a couple of spots? Were you zipped up in your sleeping bag and hood, or trying to use it as a quilt? When doing that, drafts are always a possibility, especially in the learning curve.

If your back/butt/arms were cold, what type of pad were you using? What R value( IOW, how warm), and how wide? There are some people here who have been warm below zero F with pads alone, so, I'm wondering what kind of pad you used. If inflatable, it was insulated, wasn't it?

You can replace the pad with an UQ. The AHE and WB UQs that are meant specifically for the WBRR weigh 20 oz or less, and are both excellent and fit kike a glove. This may not be any heavier than the pad you are using, or possibly even lighter. In which case, you might actually save some weight compared to your bag and pad for the ground.

Finally, many people replace their bags with TQs. These are generally lighter than a similarly rated sleeping bag. However, you will need a several oz separate hood to truly be able to equal the warmth of an equally thick mummy bag. And there might be a learning curve since you can develop some drafts that you would not have if zipped up inside a bag. But still, even with the hood, the TQs are lighter and take up less volume than an equally warm sleeping bag, since they cut out some of the back insulation which is not of much use, since your body weight crushes the insulation, flattening the loft. Which is why you need a pad or UQ.

So, yes, you will need a TQ(or bag) and an UQ, but you should not also need a pad with that UQ. So, unlike when on the hard ground, you can get rid of the pad. Or you can use the pad, and not need the UQ.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG-Inc-20°
    Suspension
    WB stock
    The important thing to remember about your sleeping bag is that the insulation you are lying on is doing you no good. Unzip it all the way and use it tucked around you... and, oh yeah, get an under quilt. I've been using my Big Agnes 15° bag that way for years and have no plans on changing it out any time soon.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incu+SLD TW+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Actually the insulation under you in the bag does do you good. You can definitely replace that with the UQ but it's not nothing. I'd say it depends on if you're buying new anyway or have gear already. I can definitely tell if I've tucked my sleeping bag under myself (I use it as a top quilt and I have an Underquilt) or not. This will depend on whether you're at the edge of what the UQ can do for you or not obviously. I can tell because I was having issues with my UQ and getting cold from below but tuck the bag under myself without even having to zip up and instantly better.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arutha View Post
    Actually the insulation under you in the bag does do you good. You can definitely replace that with the UQ but it's not nothing. I'd say it depends on if you're buying new anyway or have gear already. I can definitely tell if I've tucked my sleeping bag under myself (I use it as a top quilt and I have an Underquilt) or not. This will depend on whether you're at the edge of what the UQ can do for you or not obviously. I can tell because I was having issues with my UQ and getting cold from below but tuck the bag under myself without even having to zip up and instantly better.
    That was also my experience during my first few years hanging, at least with synthetic bags. I have never tested that with a down bag, but I imagine the warmth boost would be less, if not zero.

Thanks BillyBob. I was using a Big Agnes inflatable insulated Air Core 25" x 72" pad. 3.25" thick, r-value 4.5 so it was probably the best I could do as far as pads. I was using a Big Agnes 30 degree mummy bag fully zipped up. And I had multiple layers of clothing, a buff neck gaiter and a beany . . . and I was still freezing! Did I say I am a cold sleeper ?

I think if I replace the pad with an UQ rates to 20 degrees with my current sleeping bag (without the pad), I'll do better.

Interesting idea arutha (using the bag as a top quilt). I have the sleeping bag already obviously, but I'd be buying the UQ new. The only issue with putting my bag on top is that I'd still like to be able to use the hood of the sleeping bag. Thanks again for the thought.

Thanks Chris. Interesting idea (unzipping the bag and putting it on top). Only thing is, when it's that cold (35 degrees) I will want to use the hood on my sleeping bag. I think getting an UQ will really help next time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast