HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 UQ, HG 0 TQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/ buckles

Smile Good news bad news good news!

Good news is my wife has agreed to go backpacking for the first time

Bad news is she has taken my Darien hammock away from me

Good news is I just ordered a new Darien for me!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12'
    Insulation
    HG Econ/Tiaga 360
    Suspension
    Straps and UCR
    I hope you can manage to catch up with her on the trail once your new hammock arrives.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    You must endeavor to ensure she has a good time or this could be the one and only trip. Good luck and have fun!
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    WBBB XLC and DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Wooki / Top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Strongly agree on the “make it easy and fun” approach!

Also consider taking a couple of small luxuries to make it go well.

Once she’s got the bug you can work up to more.

Hammock
    WBBB. WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 UQ, HG 0 TQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/ buckles
    Help me with some luxuries to take. Especially you girls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaindreamer View Post
    Help me with some luxuries to take. Especially you girls.
    Bring along her favorite coffee or tea or perhaps something more adult. Does she have a favorite candy or treat? If so, bring that. I'd offer up more but it's early and I haven't had my tea.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    My wife is not a camping type person at all unless an RV is involved, but we’ve done a few great trips.

My advice
    - keep it short 1-2 nights
    - double triple sure that there is no way anyone will get wet
    - FOOD. I typically go pretty minimum food wise, but I roll out the top chef “I can’t believe we’re eating this well in the woods” foods. It’s surprising how easy it is with a bit of planning.

Good luck!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    As awkward as the conversation might be, you might discuss bathroom issues and techniques before hand. For example, most information in print mentions squatting, but for my flexibility (or lack of), I need to put some stick or stone under my heels, or have a stick on a log handy I can grab to stabilize myself. Things that seem obvious, like noticing which way is down hill, really aren’t clear to first timers (or even second or third timers).

My leave no trace is a compromise. I leave the poo - buried - and the paper goes in a brown paper sack (like in many other countries were the paper goes in a waste basket). That sack is either eventually deposited with trash or burned.

If she hasn’t spent a night in the hammock before, it would be great if she could try it at home first. When moving from a bed to a hammock it might take a day or two for the muscles to re-learn to new support mechanism. Also, as many here have attested, the first night anywhere away from home - even in a fancy hotel - feels weird.

My point is, given that the hammock is new, the location is new, the “outdoor” experience is new - it will not be like basking in a lounge chair in the backyard sipping lemonade. So if the person knows this “What am I doing here!” feeling is natural and eventually is over ridden by, “Wow, I never new fresh air is actually sweet. What a view! Can I stay in the hammock just a half hour more … feelings, that may reduce some stress.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB. WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 UQ, HG 0 TQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/ buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    As awkward as the conversation might be, you might discuss bathroom issues and techniques before hand. For example, most information in print mentions squatting, but for my flexibility (or lack of), I need to put some stick or stone under my heels, or have a stick on a log handy I can grab to stabilize myself. Things that seem obvious, like noticing which way is down hill, really aren’t clear to first timers (or even second or third timers).

My leave no trace is a compromise. I leave the poo - buried - and the paper goes in a brown paper sack (like in many other countries were the paper goes in a waste basket). That sack is either eventually deposited with trash or burned.

If she hasn’t spent a night in the hammock before, it would be great if she could try it at home first. When moving from a bed to a hammock it might take a day or two for the muscles to re-learn to new support mechanism. Also, as many here have attested, the first night anywhere away from home - even in a fancy hotel - feels weird.

My point is, given that the hammock is new, the location is new, the “outdoor” experience is new - it will not be like basking in a lounge chair in the backyard sipping lemonade. So if the person knows this “What am I doing here!” feeling is natural and eventually is over ridden by, “Wow, I never new fresh air is actually sweet. What a view! Can I stay in the hammock just a half hour more … feelings, that may reduce some stress.
    She’s napped in the hammock and lined it. Also I got her one of those “pee trough” things and she has tried it and it actually works. Not perfect but she prefers that over squatting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts