DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I went the pad route in a DL GE for a season or three... Modified a cheap Walmart CCF pad for added coverage at the shoulders. While it worked, I was soaked with sweat most nights and struggled to stay on it.

If you try an UQ, you'll likely never go back to a pad.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Once you go UQ you never go back to pads.
    Max comfort once set up and dialed in correctly.
    UQ set up playlist....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mBYSPGHjdyGqsL

Shug

Snow Hammock 17x13 by Sean Emery, on Flickr
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    I’m relatively new. I tried the pad on a few outings. It can be sweaty in the heat and it’s sort of like surfing trying to keep it where you want it. In the big scheme of things an UQ isn’t the most expensive thing in your kit and it will really improve your comfort. Don’t be put off by all the questions about how to adjust them. It isn’t that difficult and even if you achieve less than perfection it’s still better than the pad.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    I’m relatively new. I tried the pad on a few outings. It can be sweaty in the heat and it’s sort of like surfing trying to keep it where you want it. In the big scheme of things an UQ isn’t the most expensive thing in your kit and it will really improve your comfort....
    That's the experience folks have pretty consistently. Condensation and positioning are the two greatest drawbacks. Lower cost and being able to go to the ground is likely the greatest advantages.

With the introduction of economy quilts from many of the cottage vendors, the step up to a UQ is much easier. There is a weight penalty associated with most economy versions, but for many it isn't a show stopper given the many advantages in comfort and usability over a pad. Functionally, there are zero drawbacks. I had all econ quilts for a year or two until I got the rest of my gear where I wanted it. (self admitted card carrying gram weenie). When it's time to upgrade, there is a strong resale market.

As Shug says.. once you go to an UQ you'll likely not look back unless you frequently go to the ground or spend a lot of time in shelters...
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    BillyBob58 is one of the few people who has never experienced condensation (or sweating - whatever you want to call it) using a pad. My genetics are different. I used a pad for the first two years of hammock camping, and every time I did, I woke up with everything saturated, and a pool of sweat (or condensation) on the pad. All three of my kids (who share my genetics) also experience condensation using a pad.

Once I bought an UQ - no more condensation! I haven't used a pad since.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    BillyBob58 is one of the few people who has never experienced condensation (or sweating - whatever you want to call it) using a pad. My genetics are different. I used a pad for the first two years of hammock camping, and every time I did, I woke up with everything saturated, and a pool of sweat (or condensation) on the pad. All three of my kids (who share my genetics) also experience condensation using a pad.

Once I bought an UQ - no more condensation! I haven't used a pad since.
    I think you are right, I am one of the few. Although, more of us recently since more folks have started using 90º hammocks, or pads in bridge hammocks. Just the difference in folks I suppose, but I am surprised at the difference. It's not like I don't sweat like crazy when it is hot. And it's not like I have not gotten condensation under certain conditions, like the time in Olympic NP by the river when I didn't use the space blanket in my HHSS(soaked foot end).

But really, not counting the under pad in the HHSS, with a space blanket on top of it, it's not like I have used a pad all that much. I had that one test a bit below 20F I have oft posted about, with 2 pads stacked in a Speer SPE. And several nights slipping a torso CCF pad into the pad pocket of a JRB bridge when I got cold in the middle of the summer night. A couple of nights on a Neoair pad under a 90º hammock. A few other times. But mostly I use UQs, Pea Pods or HHSS. However, I must admit, those times I have, I have not had any condensation that I considered significant or a problem. At worst, a few drops. I guess I'm just lucky. But, I'm not totally alone in that experience. Not many of us, but some.

OTOH, if I did have that problem, I'd probably put on VB clothing(probably along with less insulation) and then there is not going to be any condensation or sweat getting past my 1st layer. So, I don't have much problem with sweat or condensation, it is true. Unless of course I am trying to camp out or hike in summer down south, then I am going to be sweating plenty. No matter what I do or don't do. Which is why I don't try to do that very often.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12