Back2Basix

Single layer with no UQ hooks?

I'm considering buying a used single layer DH Thunderbird in 1.6 HyperD. 10' long and 58" wide. It comes with a top cover and a bug net, all for $130. However there are no attachment points for an UQ. My questions are:
    1) Is this a good price?
    2) How useful is a single layer with no UQ hooks? It seems that without an UQ it would be too cold for most of the year (I live in NY). Or is there another way to attach an UQ?
    3) I understand that the Thunderbird was replaced with the Sparrow. However getting a nicely configured Sparrow is MUCH more expensive. Is it worth getting the Thunderbird instead?
    4) I'm 5'9, 165 lbs. Is 10' and 58" wide too small for a flat hang for me? Would it be better for my fiance who is about 5'6 and 130 lbs?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A UQ normally hooks to your hammock at the point where the whipping meets the suspension.
    Some use a small biner or s-hook.
    UQ playlist.....https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...mBYSPGHjdyGqsL
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HG Wanderlust
    Insulation
    EE TQ, HG UQ
    Fellow NYr here. Get an underquilt! Even in the summer it gets cool at night and the draft under your hammock can carry away your heat. I bought one after only two nights out. Yes you can get some insulation with a pad but then you have to fuss with it.

My hammock happens to have clips that the quilt suspension attaches to...running down the sides of the hammock. But all you really need is to clip the carabiner to your suspension as shown in the video above.

I can’t speak about sizing.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I have UQ hooks on my hammocks (DH Dariens, my main faves... and some others) but find that I don't need them. Don't need the side pull-out hooks either.

But I heartily concur with Bobonli... get an underquilt... I briefly tried CCF and air mats and found them a royal PITA to make comfy and lacking coverage. I know some people swear by 'em, but I swear at 'em.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    The UQ doesn't actually attach via UQ hooks. As Shug mentioned, it attaches to the continuous loops on the hammock. All UQ hooks do is help hold it in place. They are a convenience, but not necessary.

$130 for a Dangerbird w/top cover is definitely a good price. Although, at 5'9", you may be more comfortable in an 11' hammock. Or you still may be plenty comfortable in this hammock. A 10 footer would probably suit your wife just fine.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    You could always get some grosgrain and packhooks, then sew them on yourself. I use 3/4 UQs, so the only packhook I need is on the outside shoulder side.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    You don’t need those hooks/connectors. the bungee suspension usually brings the sides of the UQ above the Hammock body anyway. If you do need lift, you can put an S-biner (even a paper clip would work) on the hammock ridge line, near the ends, and gather/connect the UQ bungee to the S-biner. That snugs it up at the ends without the potential of a gap caused by cinching the ends too tight.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Definitely get an UQ! You'd be surprised at how cold you can get with wind blowing beneath you, even in the summer.

In my experience, the need to secure your UQ to anything more than your suspension system is a factor of both how active of a sleeper you are (ie, shifting around through the night), & how large your UQ is. If you are not a weight weeny like myself, just get a large UQ! They're luxurious, & you never have to worry about cold spots or shifting. If you start experimenting with smaller UQ to save weight, you may have to experiment with other ways of keeping the UQ in just the right spot. I personally found that adding some fabric loops to the inside of my tarp, allowed me to attach some of my UL UQ & adjust them so they don't move even when I shift.

I've awakened cold with my UQ totally shifted off to one side often enough that I'm a firm believer in having a hook or two. One at the shoulder for sure and possibly one on the opposite side at the feet. Extremely easy to add on.

• + New Posts