Does wide hammocks = flapping fabric?

Hello there community,
    I tried to remove brand names in my question so we talk more about the ideas, techniques and principles.
    Although I love hammocks way better than ground, I'm looking to improve my comfort from 58" width hammocks. I have three of them, GE, 10f, 11f, single hexon 1.0, double hexon 1.0, single HyperD 1.6, and i still have a little knee tension, or feel too cramped or lacking space when I try to side sleep. I'm 5'9 and 160lbs. All is good but wonder about wider hammocks... (Ge, not bridge) why not try.. Some are just a bit wider like 62, or similar but have wider footbox, but maybe it's paying for insignificant change (in term of width), and then there is wide 68" or 72", wider? Half way there is also some that are like 64" and claim to have trimmed the fabric in a way that excess of it is cut off to reduce flapping.. I'd like to try wider possible without the intense flapping in the storm handicap (it's not music at that point).

Thing is, I'm mostly a hiker and I don't control the weather I cross when I'm out long so I wanted to ask you with experience if there is something you do to reduce heavy or intense fabric flapping when sleeping in a storm or mederate to high winds in a wide hammock. In a regular GE, shock cords on the outside, UQ, or gear and body strategic placement inside can help, I feel it would be impossible with a wide GE (I picture a humorous movie thinking about trying to hold all parts of the hammock).

Your answer about things that can be done will help me in my choice. All the best,

L

Images
    Yes, it will add more side-flap unless you lay at an extreme diagonal.

I have not found that wider hammocks provide more comfort or flatter lay. ~60" is about right.

If you want to reduce floppy sides, there's two basic options:
    - the Knotty Mod (elastic hidden in the hem).
    - catenary-cut edges. This is a more exotic feature not found on most commercial builds. It seems mutually exclusive with wide hammock bodies.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurence Caron View Post
    Hello there community,
    I tried to remove brand names in my question so we talk more about the ideas, techniques and principles.
    Although I love hammocks way better than ground, I'm looking to improve my comfort from 58" width hammocks. I have three of them, GE, 10f, 11f, single hexon 1.0, double hexon 1.0, single HyperD 1.6, and i still have a little knee tension, or feel too cramped or lacking space when I try to side sleep. I'm 5'9 and 160lbs. All is good but wonder about wider hammocks... (Ge, not bridge) why not try.. Some are just a bit wider like 62, or similar but have wider footbox, but maybe it's paying for insignificant change (in term of width), and then there is wide 68" or 72", wider? Half way there is also some that are like 64" and claim to have trimmed the fabric in a way that excess of it is cut off to reduce flapping.. I'd like to try wider possible without the intense flapping in the storm handicap (it's not music at that point).

Thing is, I'm mostly a hiker and I don't control the weather I cross when I'm out long so I wanted to ask you with experience if there is something you do to reduce heavy or intense fabric flapping when sleeping in a storm or mederate to high winds in a wide hammock. In a regular GE, shock cords on the outside, UQ, or gear and body strategic placement inside can help, I feel it would be impossible with a wide GE (I picture a humorous movie thinking about trying to hold all parts of the hammock).

Your answer about things that can be done will help me in my choice. All the best,

L
    I'm in the 64" camp. 60 wasn't quite wide enough and 72 seemed way much.

IMO you can mitigate the flapping merely by moving all the fabric under your body. This makes the edges more taut. This is also how you eliminate calf ridge.

5'11" 175lbs

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Try a wider and longer hammock
    Mine is 12x6
    You might try eleven feet six inches long (138 inches long)
    And five feet six inches wide (66 inches wide)

Possibly some loose fabric on sides
    Knotty mods can help—not sure if hammock maker can or will make knotty mods.
    I believe, your comfort will be greater than distraction from any flapping fabric.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    I started quite accidentally with a 68” wide and while I can get extremely comfortable in a 58”, it’s just not the same. I feel like the wider body allows me far more leeway and flexibility in finding more comfort more easily. I’m only 5’9” 160#, so it’s not like its a size thing - there just seems to be a whole lot more room to spread out in a (slightly) wider hammock. I can just throw myself in there and it’s instant bliss, fine tune later.

I’m early on in my exploration of what I like in a hammock (fabrics, etc), but for sure I already know that 58” is not for me. Maybe 63 or 65 who knows, but 68 is SWEET.

I honestly don’t notice the flop although for sure there is more. With my 58, there is no flop which I feel makes the hammock less comfortable. You can shove a leg over there and the flop now turns into a wide flat platform.

It’s also just what you are used to. Coming from 10” wider, my other hammock just seems too narrow.

Good luck. Oh yeah - I can’t wait to try a wide 12 footer!

Also, I’ve noticed no flapping in the wind of my hammock. When I’m in there I am frequently using some of the extra fabric for an arm rest, leg rest, that sort of thing so the flap actually serves a very useful purpose. Same thing when in lounge mode lying across the width of the hammock - you get an amazing built in neck pillow. For sure once the underquilt is on there will be no flapping in the breeze.
    Last edited by Tpatter; 10-05-2020 at 23:52.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / Wide Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I find my Wide hammock a bit easier to find a sweetspot in. In regards to the extra fabric, i just use the tie outs.

Thanks all, great community, feel free to add whatever is missing

• + New Posts