New hammocker here.🙂

Hi Everyone! Just want to say hi and thank you for allowing me to be apart of this forum. I learned of it by watching Shug on his YouTube channel Shugemery. He is an amazing guy with many talents and a super sense of humor! Now a little bit about me: I am 54 and live in Grove City, Minnesota about 70 miles west of the Cities with my wonderful wife on a small 2 acre hobby farm we call Peacful Acres. I am currently an OTR trucker driver and also in college fulltime online to finish my degree to be a teacher. I hope to finally be off the road and teaching within a year and home everyday with my wife. But I do like driving and have done it for over 20 years. I make the best of it and also try to find joy every day. I have also done many other jobs in previous years from warehouse, woodshop, retail, restaurants, bus driving, and teaching. I have always loved the outdoors and have hiked and camped different times throughout my life. Recently I have started hiking more again and really enjoy it alone and with my wife. I really like short hikes of 2 miles or less. I got my trail name of Rambler for a three reasons; because of my goofy YouTube channel Martys Ramblings where I ramble when I talk, because I ramble around the country as a trucker, and also because I like to ramble when I hike. I really like to just take my time and learn about nature, explore, take pictures and video, and just enjoy the outdoors. So I really take my time. My wife and I love to hike up on the North Shore which is my favorite place in the whole USA, and also around the area where we live. I also try to get hikes in around the country when I get downtime truckin. I did a wonderful short hike on Donner Pass in California on the PCT, and just a couple weeks ago I got on the Appilation Trail which was a huge thrill! I also just find places to hike at rest areas etc wherever I am. Many times I just make my own trail LOL. I would like to go on some longer hikes too and even do overnights eventually. And I have decided I want to be a hammocker. I have never liked laying on the ground. I already enjoy sitting and laying in our cheap hammock in our yard reading and napping so I am sure I would like it hiking/camping too. I like the idea of it. But I have ALOT to learn and I am sure I will learn alot from yall here. Other things I like to do are; spending time with my sweet wife, wonderful kids and grandkids, helping people, hangin out with friends, woodworking, spoon carving, hiking, canoeing, bushcraft, reading, writing, teaching, learning, making my videos, smiling and laughing and helping others to also, and I love my coffee! I am actually even as I write this in my hammock and going to try to sleep in it tonight....in our yard LOL! We'll see how it goes! Just a budget hammock, sleeping pad, and sleeping bag. But its 9:30pm and 47 and won't get any colder tonight and so far I am VERY comfortable and it is a perfect night for it. Though I keep hearing things rustling in the corn...I think its the corn! But I feel safe with my three flashlights, bear bells, cell phone, bugnet, and our house 50 feet from me LOL! Maybe Ill try the woods next time. So I would like to buy a backpack hammock soon. Probably a budget one to start if anyone has any advice I would appreciate it. Actually any tips would be wonderful! Anywho, sorry there I go rambling! I am so happy to be here! Have a great day all yall.🙂

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    Hi Marty and welcome to the forum. If you're looking for a budget set up take a look at the Ridge Outdoor Pinnacle Hammock. It's a great beginner hammock, very feature rich and will not break the bank. You can find them on Amazon. I bought one last year and I love it so far. Hammock Gear has a line of budget quilts both upper and lower that are reasonably priced and of great quality. There are a ton of cottage vendors out there that make great products but I can only speak to the ones I have experience with. Shug has reviewed lots of them though and I trust his judgement too.
    Another way to try out different gear is to attend a group hang where like minded people show up and are glad to let you try out different gear. In my neck of the woods I go to HangCon, which is one of the larger group hangs that attracts a lot of the cottage vendors.

Hey RM,

Welcome.

Good luck on your new career path.

Ill second Hammock Gear Econ Quilts. Also look at Dream Hammock products, Dutch Gear and 2QZQ. We have a lot of good cottage vendors here. These are just the ones who I have bought from. All four outfits are top notch.

Enjoy the ride.

Bob

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Watch Shug’s ten part YouTube videos- How to hang a hammock, tarp, insulation-pads, and quilts.
    Go to two local group hangs (during temperatures no lower than 30* while learning hammock insulation)
    Talk gear with hammock campers and ask questions.

I think two main obstacles to comfortable hammock camping are: CRP and CBS
    CRP happens...(haha) Calf Ridge Pressure primarily because of hammocks that are too short!
    While there are hammockers who are comfortable in short hammocks, ten feet long and shorter,
    I recommend hammock be at least 11x5
    My hammock is 12x6 , although 11x5 is used by many more than 12x6.
    Shug also has a video addressing CRP Calf Ridge Pressure!

CBS Cold Butt Syndrome, is caused by inadequate insulation underneath you and or your hammock.

When you address CRP and CBS, you will be well on your way to comfortable hammock sleep.

Welcome aboard sir!

• + New Posts