I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The beauty of a tarp is that you have the ability to hang it any height you would like depending on wind and weather or views or to catch a breeze or to stop a breeze. Or all pitched down for privacy or opened up in porch mode or sky views.
    Often I will set it one way when I make camp and change it when I crawl in the hammock depending on how and if conditions change.
    Live the tarp life.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaindreamer View Post
    So with a continuous ridge line the ridge line goes in the skins as well and your tarp is always hooked to the ridge line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not necessarily. If you use a CRL (continuous ridgeline), just string it up as usual and the tarp (in the sleeve/skin) would hang below it, attached as you normally would. If you're a knot person, prussiks are the typical go-to. If you prefer hardware, NAMA Claws are very popular. I usually use split ridgelines, but have a couple CRLs with NAMA Claws for when I lend out tarps to our scouts. While they should be learning the required knots, it's usually dark and cold (and raining) when we set up camp, so the hardware makes it much easier.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    There are two types of CRL setups. One makes it easy use snake skins, one requires some adjustment. If your CRL wraps around the tree and clips to itself then continues to the other tree, wraps around it, and clips to itself - that’s the easy way for snake skins. The tarp hangs under the CRL on Nama Claws, pusik loops, or some other connection. When deployed, the snake skins slide easily on line extending from the end to the tarp to the tree.

If you have to adjust the tarp with that setup, you have to move one end, then the other.

The other CRL (i.e NOT split) is what I was using. It is more like an old fashioned clothesline on a pulley. The line connects to the tarp, goes around the tree, back to the tarp and in the same connector minibiner. It runs down the tarp ridgeline, though the minibiner at that end, around the tree, and back to that tarp end where it locks on a Figure-9 or some DutchWare bling. As such, the configuration is more a oval with the line on one side and tarp on the other (except the line side is held over the tarp ridgeline by the minibiners). The advantage is, you can just pull the ridgeline to move the whole tarp a little one way or the other - no need to adjust both ends.

The problem/feature with that setup is it creates a “V” with the tarp at the notch. It’s sort of like an ice cream cone shape with the tree making the round top of the cone and the end of “V” at the tarp being the bottom of the cone. So there is no place for the snakeskin to slide because the lines angle off right at the end of the tarp.

My solution for that was to add and 8” dogbone extension at the end of the tarp. The CRL was rigged the same, except there was now a 8” single line length at each end and the snake skin could side on that.

It worked but I observed that the tarp itself was still part of force absorbing setup - like if the trees were small-ish and moved in wind. Now normally our PNW Ponderosa Pines don’t move, but still …. So as I became more and more enamored with tarp snake skins I move to the first style with Nama Claws. It is fussier because I’m using a wasp for a connection at the non-hook end. It is always in the wrong place and I have to slide it around to a good “lock” location. Then I have to move one end of the tarp and snug up the other - a lot more dancing back and forth from end to end.

But “out there”, I’m not in a hurry.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    I prefer mine low and tight for some reason,mainly because I don't want to get up if it does happen to rain and to some extent a little more privacy.I have learned to get dressed sitting down which is a big help.I don't eat in my hammock and for the life of me,every time I try to drink coffee laying down in it I get it all over the place......

as a few people already mentioned here, the beauty of the tarp is versatility, you can easily adjust as needed.

particularly, i like to set it up slightly differently than most: to your question: how high to attach it on the trees, i attach it on the hammock tree huggers, so "exactly as high"; from there, i can have the tarp anywhere between the treehuger height, to all the way down right on top of the hammock ridgleine, without retying anything, just adjusting the tensioners on the tieouts and maybe on the ridgeline, it literally takes a few seconds to go from "high flying tarp, good weather" to "hunker down, stormy mode", see the "levitating tarp" thread where i try to explain that. that setup also has the advantage that the structure is more stable in high winds, and less demanding on the tarp and ridgeline, give it a go, it's easy to try, and you might like the adjustability.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I found there’s a tendency to set the tarp ridgeline horizontally. There is nothing wrong with that AND there is also no reason it has to be that way. If the tree are a bit too close, you can raise one end and/or lower the other to put the ridge line on a diagonal. That can be preferred, giving less “bend over” access on the high end and better aerodynamics on the low end (oriented into the wind.

If you are looking for some golden “always correct” tarp height, I don’t think there is one. Like older people’s bathroom situation, it depends.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Homemade netless
    Tarp
    16ft kelty
    Suspension
    Whoopies/daisy
    I always put my tarp up around 6ft or more, so I can stand comfortably underneath, but I use a pretty big tarp... sone would say too big lol. I like having the privacy and space of a tent. I also live in canada, and it helps keep out the cold weather.
    20200920_095632.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I have never understood why some people think they need to be able to stand underneath their tarp. I go under my tarp for two reasons: 1) to get in the hammock; or 2) to sit down on the ground and cook or look in my pack. I don't need to stand at full height for either activity.
    When weather permits, i.e. rain not blowing sideways, I like to hang it high. I can stand up for all of the excellent reasons I like standing for: looking around, changing clothes, peeing out the door, not sitting, etc. Not having to stoop or crawl is a major benefit to tarps vs. tents, IMO.

Hammock
    DIY basic
    Tarp
    Amazon Special
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by CVKealey View Post
    Not necessarily. If you use a CRL (continuous ridgeline), just string it up as usual and the tarp (in the sleeve/skin) would hang below it, attached as you normally would. If you're a knot person, prussiks are the typical go-to. If you prefer hardware, NAMA Claws are very popular. I usually use split ridgelines, but have a couple CRLs with NAMA Claws for when I lend out tarps to our scouts. While they should be learning the required knots, it's usually dark and cold (and raining) when we set up camp, so the hardware makes it much easier.
    Very glad to know that our troop isn't the only one that tends to find a way to always choose rainy nights for setting up camp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12