SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4

Loco Libre 50 degree Operator Series Underquilt

Recently I’ve been dramatically downsizing my backpack contents. I’m still by no stretch of the definition a gram weanie...but little by little I’m learning not to “pack my fears” (put all sorts of “what if” scenario items in my pack that never get used). To that end, my last few trips I took my partial length summer underquilt instead of my Wookie. Before this year I used my Wookie for everything from 70 degrees to 30 degrees...quite comfortably(!), but it IS admittedly way bigger in a stuff sack than my “handkerchief” light and little LL OS 50 degree UQ! Mind you, I’ve HAD the LL for years...used it extensively for day hangs during the shoulder seasons, but never was brave enough to rely on it for a hiking trip. Well, I see now how silly that was! It’s all I’ve taken my last two trips (lows in the 60’s) and been extremely comfortable. So, I decided last night it was time to do some “yard” testing to see just how low I can count on it keeping me warm. I slept like a rock last night, despite some occasional strong wind gusts. The alarm on my phone awoke me this morning, the wind still blowing and the temperature 48 degrees...the “feels like” temp was listed as 43. No cold spots, not once!

I AM a hot sleeper of late. Used to be a cold sleeper until Mother Nature readjusted my internal thermostat. And I’m short and favor sleeping in the fetal position, so maybe I get better coverage with a PLUQ than most would? But, for me, I know now I can (and will) only pack my teensy little LL OS 50 PLUQ any time the lows are expected to be 48 or above. I know I’ll be COMFORTABLE with it at 48!

Oh! I also used a 2QZQ UQP over the LL OS UQ. I’m sure that, along with my low pitched ThunderFly tarp, blocked much of the wind and added to the warmth. But, for me, that’s a fair test of the LL UQ’s performance since I will ALWAYS be using my UQP in the field and will always have a tarp on hand to deploy if needed. (I just spent too much on my down UQ’s to not protect them with an UQP...especially since I camp with large, fast moving, stick carrying dogs.)

I had my tarp battened down pretty low...

I used an Underquilt protector...

Pulling the underquilt protector aside, you can see my toasty sweet LL Operator Series UQ!

Here is the underquilt once I took it off my hammock...

The underquilt compresses surprisingly small!

Specs from Loco Libre site:

In this stuff sack is my LL OS UQ and my LL OS TQ and my Warbonnet down pillow...all three! (Next to a 24 oz Camelback for size reference.)
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 10-04-2020 at 23:32.

Images
    Nice post. I am a fan of this quilt as well. It's surprising how often it provides sufficient insulation considering how light and compressible it is.

I made a post a while back which details a small but helpful modification I did to mine.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...eries-Habanero

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Nice post. I am a fan of this quilt as well. It's surprising how often it provides sufficient insulation considering how light and compressible it is.

I made a post a while back which details a small but helpful modification I did to mine.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...eries-Habanero
    Cmc4free, I just read through the description of your modification. Sounds like a really great idea! But since, so far, I haven’t had any trouble keeping my UQ where I need it, I think I’ll just leave mine as is for now. Also, I sometimes swap from right lay to left lay in the course of the night...or even flip which end my head and feet go to. With the quilt unaltered, I just reach a hand out and under and give my quilt a little tug to reposition it wherever I repositioned myself to...the way it slides freely on the elastic cords right now works to my advantage. And, fortunately, I haven’t had any trouble with it bunching up under me or sneaking out from under me.

If I were consistent in my sleep position/orientation I would like the extra stability of the cord locks securing the quilt to specific points along the long side elastic lines...but, as squirrelly as I am, it’s nice that the underquilt slides fluidly along the channel with just a quick tug.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    It's really nice to have a set of "barely there" quilts for warmer weather.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    I've got a couple of Operator 50's too and like them a lot. I don't use underquilt protectors and perhaps using one could retain some amount of heat loss during a cool night, but I've never felt the need to have one. I can attest to the Operator's temp rating as being pretty accurate... I've used mine down into the low-40's and that's pushing it. Great quilt.

Now that it looks like George is accepting new orders, maybe it's time to spring for an Operator topqulit!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    It's really nice to have a set of "barely there" quilts for warmer weather.
    For sure!!! For me, I’ll be confident relying on them to be enough to keep me COMFORTABLE for anything from 48 degrees and above! Sure nice how little of my pack space they take up!

Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    I've got a couple of Operator 50's too and like them a lot. I don't use underquilt protectors and perhaps using one could retain some amount of heat loss during a cool night, but I've never felt the need to have one. I can attest to the Operator's temp rating as being pretty accurate... I've used mine down into the low-40's and that's pushing it. Great quilt.

Now that it looks like George is accepting new orders, maybe it's time to spring for an Operator topqulit!
    Whoa! LOW 40’s? I’m impressed! George does make awfully nice quilts!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post

I also have but don't use UQP but might try it at some point.

I've got a 50deg shortie UQ (EE) and have not used it below its rating, but I have twice used a 40deg (also EE) down to 34°F and was so comfy I did not even know the temp had dropped that low until I checked the thermometer in the morning. In one instance it was a bit windy and the other time it was calm.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Images
    I also have but don't use UQP but might try it at some point.

I've got a 50deg shortie UQ (EE) and have not used it below its rating, but I have twice used a 40deg (also EE) down to 34°F and was so comfy I did not even know the temp had dropped that low until I checked the thermometer in the morning. In one instance it was a bit windy and the other time it was calm.
    Both down Revolts with the karo step baffles? What are your thoughts on those (aside from favorable, it seems...lol)?
    I know you've mentioned your EE APEX set also, but I assumed you weren't referring to that in this post?

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Both down Revolts with the karo step baffles? What are your thoughts on those (aside from favorable, it seems...lol)?
    I know you've mentioned your EE APEX set also, but I assumed you weren't referring to that in this post?
    Yes, both 'old' style down w/karo baffles... they now have V2 with channels! The down can (and does) migrate leaving the side pockets empty, but it's easy enough to redistribute. But, in a way, it is sometimes beneficial because the TQ covers the sides, which might be why it seemed to have a warmer rating.

No, I really don't use Apex much at all. I had the TQ for a long time and used it a bunch, but the UQ was obtained mainly for a PNW coastal trip that did not happen. But it remains a great set for super wet conditions.

Images
    Yes, both 'old' style down w/karo baffles... they now have V2 with channels! The down can (and does) migrate leaving the side pockets empty, but it's easy enough to redistribute. But, in a way, it is sometimes beneficial because the TQ covers the sides, which might be why it seemed to have a warmer rating.

No, I really don't use Apex much at all. I had the TQ for a long time and used it a bunch, but the UQ was obtained mainly for a PNW coastal trip that did not happen. But it remains a great set for super wet conditions.
    I hadn't shopped the EE site in a while, so I didn't realize they updated the Revolt. And they have another model now too, the Uprising. Interesting...

And those are interesting comments on the karo steps. What a lot of people have called a bug is actually more of a feature when you look at it that way. I noticed the same when I used the JRB GL4, which doesn't have karo step but radial baffles. Any down migration toward the bottom from the sides didn't really result in cold spots because first of all, the sides are fairly high, but also because the TQ fills in around the sides.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast