Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cannot avoid drafts from leg end

Seems like no matter how I adjust my HG econ incubator, there just isn’t a way to avoid the air gap on the left side of the hammock at the leg end (my legs lie to the right, so the UQ pulls away on the opposite side). I’ve tried adjusting this away over 20 nights on the AT, but I get drafty/cold every single night. What gives here?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    If you have a netless hammock without UQ hooks, these might help.(https://dutchwaregear.com/product/ri...e-quilt-hooks/)

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Wbbb xlcj
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    H.G top and under
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bugs
    Have you had someone look at it while you are laying in the hammock? Not sure what hammock you are using , how tall you are or how you hang your hammock but I use an incubator with my blackbird and haven’t had this issue. I do however zip my puffy jacket around the foot end sometimes at night maybe this is why . If I am on a trip with my brother I usually have him inspect around the underquilt for openings and then I check his out for him.
    visualize whirled peas.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ridgerunner/ chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch beetles
    Use the d-rings on the sides of the UQ to attach shock cord over the ridge line. and snug it up that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    I agree with others about finding a way to add a piece of shockcord or quilt hooks or whatever way you can find to add extra uplift to that side. This is a common problem that I have encountered with various UQs and even my old, no longer owned Pea Pod. It is not always a problem for me, and never seemed to be with the Pea Pod for some reason. (Maybe because it was a completely enclosed, wrap around?) But, sometimes it is a problem, one which is also quickly solved by adding a leg pad.

In fact, I remember that being one of the reasons one of the designers of the first torso sized UQs gave for deciding to go that route to save weight. Since this was such a common problem, and it was often solved by adding a leg pad which is much better tolerated under the legs than full length, and most of us have some sort of sit pad or pad as part of our pack suspension already with us anyway? So, using that pad under the legs did not add any weight.

Images
    Also, this is a problem that I don't encounter with bridge hammocks. It seems to be caused by lying on the diagonal across the hammock and UQ, with the legs/feet applying more pressure on one side of the quilt and hammock. Though I sometimes use a leg pad either with a short UQ(usully do) or even with a full length if I am just wanting to boost over all warmth, I have never really had any leg warmth problems, or gaps or drafts of any kind, when using my JRB full length UQs on a JRB bridge. Or, with an AHE Ridge Creek UQ on a WBRR bridge. Which is why I think it is a problem caused by the diagonal lay.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-04-2020 at 21:01.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I started out for years with no issues, then started messing with different hammocks and quilts. I made this trouble for myself. For some reason, certain fabrics seemed to be the whole cause.

A firm 1.7 nylon failed on me EVERY TIME. It's like the hammock would not conform enough to my legs and quilt. Under my left knee was the huge gap no matter how I adjusted the hammock or quilt. I sold that hammock.

Then switching to an 11' hammock from 10' totally screwed me up. I literally left and drove home 3 hours on two consecutive trips about a week or two apart. It was that irritating. I tried extending the shock cord on the quilt and all kinds of things but gave up. I made my own 10.5' hammock and it is perfect.

I think a more stretchy material really helps. And taking a video of yourself in the hammock from the foot end is a great way to see what's going on. I don't want someone try to explain what they see, and I don't want to see someone else in the hammock...I need to see myself and how my movements/position affect the quilt fit.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I started out for years with no issues, then started messing with different hammocks and quilts. I made this trouble for myself. For some reason, certain fabrics seemed to be the whole cause.

A firm 1.7 nylon failed on me EVERY TIME. It's like the hammock would not conform enough to my legs and quilt. Under my left knee was the huge gap no matter how I adjusted the hammock or quilt. I sold that hammock.

Then switching to an 11' hammock from 10' totally screwed me up. I literally left and drove home 3 hours on two consecutive trips about a week or two apart. It was that irritating. I tried extending the shock cord on the quilt and all kinds of things but gave up. I made my own 10.5' hammock and it is perfect.

I think a more stretchy material really helps. And taking a video of yourself in the hammock from the foot end is a great way to see what's going on. I don't want someone try to explain what they see, and I don't want to see someone else in the hammock...I need to see myself and how my movements/position affect the quilt fit.
    Wow. That says a lot about the seemingly large number of variables that can mess with keeping warm with an UQ hung under a hammock, especially when on a diagonal.

Very interesting about the firm fabric vs stretchy. I have been playing with an SMR Ninox single layer which might be the stretchiest hammock I have ever laid in. I have noticed apparent extra efficiency using it with the SMR Inferno UQ. But way to early to tell anything for sure yet, I need to pay attention to that.

But you even bring up hammock length. Though I don't know the specs of your DIY which solved your problems. It is all a huge potential mystery.

Here are things I, or my friends/relatives who have borrowed them, have not had trouble keeping warm at or near rated temps: WB synthetic Yeti or JRB short UQs on a variety of GE hammocks, but most often a Claytor No Net, with or without secondary UQ suspension. JRB full length or partial length UQs on JRB or WB bridge hammocks. Pads in any hammock. I want to say HHSS, but I know it does fall away on one side and I have added a leg pad when pushing below it's normal limit. But usually has not caused me trouble above freezing, plus I add a piece of shock cord to pull that side up, works fine. And the long gone Speer Pea Pod, a real winner. It did gap away on one side a bit, but it never seemed to make a noticeable difference. I was always warm enough on the bottom unless I went below the rated temp.

Quote Originally Posted by Trees company View Post
    Have you had someone look at it while you are laying in the hammock? Not sure what hammock you are using , how tall you are or how you hang your hammock but I use an incubator with my blackbird and haven’t had this issue. I do however zip my puffy jacket around the foot end sometimes at night maybe this is why . If I am on a trip with my brother I usually have him inspect around the underquilt for openings and then I check his out for him.
    Sadly I’m out solo. No one to check it for me. I’ll try experimenting with the shock cords/D rings idea mentioned above.

Aaonbagby,

Look at Chesapeakes You Tube Video on modding an underquilt, that pulls the end of the quilt closer to the ridgeline. Super easy DIY. Yu probably have all you need to do it in your pack now.

Good luck.

Bob

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast